Prometheus (Post-release)

David before the crash, right in front of Weyland's head, on the raised circular platform.
D_on_platfrom_pre_crash.jpg

David and his headless body after the crash, off the platform and against the outer curved wall of the room. Weyland nowhere in sight.
D_on_floor_pilot_postcrash.jpg

Stop posting pics, Im getting an urge to see it again!
Just for the benefit of the less attentive.

Here is the room as Shaw walks back into it. The light on the floor to her left, just below her in the photo, is David's suit. His head is on the floor just below that. The whole room is askew with lights/sparks flashing.
Pilot_Room_After_crash.jpg

I will say this one good thing about Prometheus. It succeeded in an area that most studios dare not trend. Being a big budgeted successful R-rated movie that doesn't involve sex or drug jokes. For an R-rated movie that cost 130 million dollars, it's a blessing that it grossed 290 million world wide. And with two R-rated films being on the top two grossing films domestically (sex and drug jokes aside), maybe we'll see less attempts to broaden the appeal of mature content and just let it be mature.

I bet Sly is feeling pretty silly for going with the PG-13 rating on The Expendables 2 (if it still is).

I will say this one good thing about Prometheus. It succeeded in an area that most studios dare not trend. Being a big budgeted successful R-rated movie that doesn't involve sex or drug jokes. For an R-rated movie that cost 130 million dollars, it's a blessing that it grossed 290 million world wide. And with two R-rated films being on the top two grossing films domestically (sex and drug jokes aside), maybe we'll see less attempts to broaden the appeal of mature content and just let it be mature.

I bet Sly is feeling pretty silly for going with the PG-13 rating on The Expendables 2 (if it still is).
In Sly's defense, that's Chuck Norris' fault, not an attempt to "broaden the appeal".

Regarding Prometheus, I honestly don't think lowering the rating would have changed much. While it broadens the potential audience, it doesn't broaden the appeal. The fact remains that this film isn't made for teenagers. Rating aside, it's just not made for the crowd that the normal "blockbusters" are aimed at. Think about it, could you really see the theater for Prometheus filled with squealing fourteen year old girls? Me neither. I'd really like to see the demographics for the film, because I bet it was around 90% in the 30+ age group. If they really had pushed for that, I bet the exit polls would have showed the film was "way too tame for the subject matter".

Imagine you are on a 747, that's ascending, perhaps 10,000 feet up. Sudden loss of engines, and you CRASH two miles down, into the ground. The plane does not explde, there is no fireball, and the fuselage amazingly remains intact. It ROLLS for hundreds of yards, before coming to a stop.

You are not restrained; in fact, you are laying in the aisle when the plane hits. How are you NOT dead, or at least SEVERELY injured? How are you not unconscious, at the very least? How is your face not scraped and torn to shreds?

Well, that's essentially what happened in the film. David's head and body look none the worse for wear, after the crash. OK, so he got bounced around the hard metal room during the crash. OK, so he's a "robot" and is made of stronger stuff than humans. But still, he's not invulnerable, he's not made of adamantium, and a 7 foot tall engineer had just ripped his head off. Heck, even Theron's character had man handled him (after the Weyland conversation) and shoved David up into the wall. So, he's not super heavy. And on LV-223, the humans move as if they are in a near earth gravity situation, no floating about or slow movements in a decreased gravity.

OK, so it's just a movie. A nicely filmed one, but still with a lot of inherent contradictions within its own universe.

David before the crash, right in front of Weyland's head, on the raised circular platform.
D_on_platfrom_pre_crash.jpg

David and his headless body after the crash, off the platform and against the outer curved wall of the room. Weyland nowhere in sight.
D_on_floor_pilot_postcrash.jpg

What did Weyland say to David after Weyland got hit by the Space Jockey, when they are both on the floor? I never did catch that.

Weyland - "David, there's nothing"

David - "I know, sir"

Then David says something like "Good Voyage" or "Safe Voyage". I'd have to see it again to be sure.

I enjoyed the film, but it's definietly a "Revenge of the Sith" type film for me. It's an impressive visual spectacle, and while there are connections to what came before, they seem to be "odd" and incomplete, in some way. Certain things feel rushed, just to get in the "link" to what came before.

David's head and body look none the worse for wear, after the crash. OK, so he got bounced around the hard metal room during the crash. OK, so he's a "robot" and is made of stronger stuff than humans. But still, he's not invulnerable, he's not made of adamantium, and a 7 foot tall engineer had just ripped his head off. Heck, even Theron's character had man handled him (after the Weyland conversation) and shoved David up into the wall. So, he's not super heavy. And on LV-223, the humans move as if they are in a near earth gravity situation, no floating about or slow movements in a decreased gravity.

Well, first off, we don't know what the Androids are made of in the Alien universe (all we know is that it consists of some sort of milky liquid, fiberoptics and some other odd doo-dads). It took a fire extinguisher to take off Ash's head, and took a cattle prod to the inners to stop him completely. Bishop got ripped in half by the Queen, but his upper half still continued to function. Call took a gun shot, and still kept functioning without any noticeable problems. Obviously, they're designed to handle some trauma of various types, which may include crashing and flipping spacecraft. They don't have bones that break, organs that can suffer acceleration-deceleration injuries or have muscles that can be ripped like a human being. From what we've seen in the films, the androids are a little bit more tougher to bodily harm than a typical human being.

Second of all, the reason why Vickers was able to man-handle David is because of the fact that she's Weyland's daughter. And since David sees Weyland as a father figure, David probably figured that Weyland would not like the idea of him causing harm to his daughter. Not to mention the fact that androids do show some restraint, as Ripley was able to manhandle Ash before he completely malfunctioned and attacked her.

Imagine you are on a 747,

747's don't have things like artificial gravity, inertial dampeners or any of those other nifty inventions that Star Trek taught us all advanced space ships have. Granted, the Enterprise D did look a bit more worse for wear after the crash in Generations, but then... it DID slide a few miles on the ground!

Not to mention the fact that the Engineers ship is based on technology likely hundreds of thousands of years, if not millions, more advanced than anything we can even imagine. I would assume it has some type of intertial dampener (even the Nostromo did in the film), and a structural integrity that we can only dream of. Even at that, an impact from the Prometheus did knock its drive out, and it did take damage inside. Even the Engineer was injured.

It amazes me the lack of imagination for a crowd that should be familiar with what 'science fiction' means.

And the point of posting those pics was to illustrate that David was nowhere near the same place in that room that he was prior to the crash. Several people (the 'plot holers') have insisted he was, and not just on this forum. If people missed simple things like that, it explains why many missed things that were actually important. Ridley may not be the best film maker in the world, but you do have to pay attention to every detail in his films. Most of his films anyway.

Last edited:
I just got to look through all of these. Some very revealing stuff in those captions. A lot of this must have been from the Spaiths script draft, as there is barely a mention of terraforming in the final film. Ridley said in one of the very first interviews, back when this was simple an Alie prequel, that the plot involved terraforming.

Some interesting story board art for the prologue too. The art implies that the Engineers did seed all life on Earth, not just man.

Some interesting story board art for the prologue too. The art implies that the Engineers did seed all life on Earth, not just man.

I assumed that from my first viewing and have not changed my thoughts. I think it works great for the overall theme of the film.

And seriously, you guys are arguing about weather or not David's head should have moved after the crash? Who cares? :facepalm

Not to mention the fact that the Engineers ship is based on technology likely hundreds of thousands of years, if not millions, more advanced than anything we can even imagine. I would assume it has some type of inertial dampener (even the Nostromo did in the film), and a structural integrity that we can only dream of. Even at that, an impact from the Prometheus did knock its drive out, and it did take damage inside. Even the Engineer was injured.

It amazes me the lack of imagination for a crowd that should be familiar with what 'science fiction' means.
What's funny is that they're going on and on about how David wasn't banged up in the crash... but neglect to mention that the Engineer ship flies without visible engines. Perfectly willing to accept that the ship can fly via "space magic", but unwilling to accept that the movement of David's head twenty feet didn't result in extreme damage.

And yes, there's obviously inertial dampeners in place. While the Engineer did get hurt in the crash (it looked more like a burn to me), he was still alive.. if the inside of the ship was really hit with that amount of force as people think, without some kind of dampening, the Engineer would have been killed, too.

In which case, Shaw is also dead. There's no way a human could survive the acceleration seen at the end of the film without inertial dampening. And it's obvious that humans had that technology, too, otherwise Janek and the other two would have been bugsplat when their ion drive kicked in to catch up to the Juggernaut.

I imagine that slight "jolt" that David felt at the beginning was probably the ship slowing down from interstellar speed down to normal interplanetary speed. The dampening made it soft enough that David didn't even lose his footing, although it must have been hundreds, if not thousands, of G's all hitting the ship in an instant.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back