Prometheus (Post-release)

Ridley just said it didn't have to be Earth. However, it was implied throughout the production that it was. I think most of the concept art from that sequence refers to Earth.

Ridley just said it didn't have to be Earth. However, it was implied throughout the production that it was. I think most of the concept art from that sequence refers to Earth.

Well, if there is more than one ship full of black goo, I take it that they seeded life on other planets in addition to earth, and there are ships of black goo aimed at them too.

Prometheus “Ampule Chamber” Comic-Con 2012 Exclusive | Dark Ink

"Ampule Chamber"
Comic-Con 2012 exclusive
79 piece edition
$89.00
limit 1 per customer

Prometheus Concept Art by concept artist David Levy
Giclee print on watercolour paper
13″ x 19″ (paper size)

"This piece is for Comic-Con ATTENDEE pre-order for pickup only beginning Monday June 25th and ending Wednesday July 4th. Orders must be picked up at our booth (#5629) at the San Diego Comic-Con. Orders not picked up will be refunded and will not be shipped. Please bring your receipt to the booth when picking up. If you wish to have a friend pick up for you, that is not a problem, just make sure your friend has your receipt. Non-Attendee pre-orders will begin on Wednesday July 11th.

Payment is processed at the time the order is placed. Residents of California will be charged sales tax."

It's a nice Prometheus print, granted not exactly from the movie but still cool concept art as mentioned.

PRM01P.jpg

I think there is a certain implication it is Earth, but I seriously doubt it was the creation of ALL life on Earth. That would be what, a billion years ago? 600 million maybe. depending on how advanced you want to start? I can't imagine a species (or worse, a culture) lasting that long. Even if they are super space aliens. Something would give. I find it more likely that the Engineer's sacrifice on Earth would be to create advanced, i.e. human, life. All traces of Neanderthal man disappeared about 25,000 years ago. Given the rate at which we can see the black goo causes mutation and change, I find it quite possible that "man" was not much older than the 35,000 year old cave painting.

Charlie
Then how do you explain our similar DNA to nearly all living things on Earth? Heck, we are 99.x % in similarity to DNA from apes.

Then how do you explain our similar DNA to nearly all living things on Earth? Heck, we are 99.x % in similarity to DNA from apes.

I'm sure I watched a docu that suggested our dna is almost the same as a frog.
I dont really know what I'm talking about here but I look at it as if all living things on this planet share the same dna but with small parts of that dna switched on or off to make us what we are :confused

Would dinosaurs also share our DNA?

Well, David stated "in order to create, one must destroy." It could be that the Engineers originally started with the dinosaurs, but saw they didn't do much, destroyed them (which explains why they're extinct) and then created us.

Would dinosaurs also share our DNA?
Has anyone found dino DNA traces? Surely, they know enough about dinosaurs to be able to link them to crocodiles and birds. Seeing as we share the same building blocks as those species, then we pretty likely share with dinos as well. All living things found in this planet that has DNA is related.

Well, David stated "in order to create, one must destroy." It could be that the Engineers originally started with the dinosaurs, but saw they didn't do much, destroyed them (which explains why they're extinct) and then created us.
Well, bursts of evolution of new species is sometimes kick-started through the extinction of others. If things don't seem to be going the right way, all you need to do is throw an asteroid at the planet or go hunting a bit and spare those critters that are more in your favor. Or... just send the xenos to wipe out the dominant species if you want a lesser species to evolve into the dominant one and then simply come down to collect the new eggs formed by the victims of the xeno.

The DNA structure of all species on Earth are the same - two spiral chains coiled round the same axis - so I suppose that would include dinosaurs, but we don't have any dinosaur DNA to say for sure.

Even though humans and chimps share around 96% of the same DNA, there are still tens of millions of the billions of DNA molecules that are different. If you look at just the sequences we sort of understand the function of, and think are significant to the differences in our biology, we are only about 1% different. We now know that junk DNA is not junk at all, so there may be a lot more going on than just that 1% difference...

I think Shaw was just saying in the film that we are the same in terms of the basic single-nucleotide similarities in our genetic code. Just the fact that the Engineers have similar DNA molecules would have really been enough to make the point in the film. They did not even need the CSI/Law and Order DNA match graphic, but it's something people are familiar with.

Regarding your dinosaurs, I watched another docu a little while ago where they found soft tissue in the marrow of a dino bone fossil! after all this time it was some how preserved & iirc they were intending to test it for dna, interesting stuff for sure :)

We do have some fragmentary dinosaur DNA, last I heard. As Leigh noted - some bones are so big, they're not mineralised all the way through - they're still bone in places. And yes, we share a lot of DNA with ALGAE, never mind dinos, chimps or other advanced lifeforms. :)

I think its funny the people who like this movie are spending more time trying to work out the science than the writers ever did.:lol

Um, I don't think I need space aliens from a movie to justify the similarity of DNA on real world earth. :) Life is all relatively similiar on Earth now: I'm not familiar with anything that isn't carbon-based, DNA/RNA driven. Saying the engineers just modified that with a mutagen to create our current man isn't too far of a sci-fi stretch.

Charlie

Regarding your dinosaurs, I watched another docu a little while ago where they found soft tissue in the marrow of a dino bone fossil! after all this time it was some how preserved & iirc they were intending to test it for dna, interesting stuff for sure :)

If dino a DNA molecule has actually been extracted and sequenced, someone please point me to the article or report, because I would love to read that.

I remember the fragments of hemoglobin Schweitzer found in a T Rex bone way back, but that went nowhere, and she was supposedly trying to extract DNA fragments again not too long ago, but I have not seen anything saying this has been done, just some stuff about extracting protiens a couple of years ago. Every few years some scientist claims to have found evidence of DNA, but none of it ever seems to pan out definitively that I have seen.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back