Iron man paint color

MTB

Sr Member
What color names and where you are getting them, are you using for your Iron Man suits? Im just about to start painting mine and would like to get an idea what everyone is using and where they are getting them from.

Thanks!

Duplicolor - Toreador Red Met(FL) Automotive paint from Autozone
VHT Gold colored heat resistant engine paint also from Autozone

lI86N.jpg

Thanks guys! Ive only be able to find the automotive paint in the touch up spray cans. They are only 8oz in size, have you guys found them in bigger cans? I believe it will take a lot of 8oz cans to paint the whole suit not to mention a lot of money. Just wondering if they have bigger cans or even in gallon form. I have a paint sprayer so the gallons would work for me. Thanks again!

The art of Iron Man book shows quite a few different paint tests with the actual color names listed. I cannot confirm, as it doesn't say the final color choice, but I'm fairly certain that the physical Mark III suit was Nissan Merlot Red/Roma Red/Red Mica (all the different names I've seen it called) - paint code AX5. The samples I have at work seem to match perfectly.

On a side note, the color is one of my favorite aspects of the Mark III. It is much darker than the others.

So I cannot help w/any actual prop building (I am SOOOOO Interested in doing it, but am very intimidated), but for the paint part, I used a site recently for my car actually. It is called Touch Up Paint from PaintScratch.com

You can enter in Vin numbers even to get the correct paint match. You can buy your chosen paint in 32oz cans. I do not know at all if it is more cost effective to buy them from this site or from an auto painter directly. But I can at least confirm that they do good work. I had to order Volkswagen Black Magic Pearl in pen size, and it looks great. Spot on. Of course they sell all the other accessories too such as primer, clear & body filler & rubbing compounds. But you should really only need the paint.

Actually, it looks like they have a flat rate sheet. Hang on.....

Basecoats
12.5 oz Spray can: $24.95
Pint: $90.70 (seems kind of silly that 12.5 oz in a spray costs $25, but for an extra 3.5 oz not in a spray, it costs an extra $65.75. You could buy 2 cans for less than that)
Quart: $132
Gallon: $347

So I am not sure if it is more cost effective to buy from these guys or not. But just so you have the option, they do make them in larger sizes available to the public.

Paint code AX5 comes up w/Nissan Murano Red Pearl Tricoat (Man, I guess being a Tricoat/Basecoat/midcoat, it is much more expensive). Well either way, I just wanted to supply another option just incase. Who knows, it may be a great deal. (Probably not though). :facepalm
http://www.paintscratch.com/neworder/index.html

Thanks man for the info! Ill have to check out the site and see if its cheaper.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I have just tried Duplicolor Barcelona red on a spare helmet I had here. I really like the color .. but I'm still gonna try Toreador Red, seems much darker and truer to a lot of pics of the suit.

I plan on using it with Sunburst Gold too .. but still need to look into DupliColor Gold Metalic tomorrow.

large.jpg

large.jpg

I have just tried Duplicolor Barcelona red on a spare helmet I had here. I really like the color .. but I'm still gonna try Toreador Red, seems much darker and truer to a lot of pics of the suit.

I plan on using it with Sunburst Gold too .. but still need to look into DupliColor Gold Metalic tomorrow.

Thanks for the pics! I actually ended up using Barcelona red and Sunburst gold. I'm happy with the results. Just wish they were a little cheaper =)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I am no expert, but using a metallic primer (like titanium silver or platinum nickle) is a far superior choice over flat primer.

He's the color samples I was looking at last weekend. From left to right, Claret red metallic, Toreador red metallic, and red garnet metallic. I think I'm going with the Claret red since I like the more burgundy red. These were all Duplicolor 8 ounce cans.

ba7agugu.jpg

He's the color samples I was looking at last weekend. From left to right, Claret red metallic, Toreador red metallic, and red garnet metallic. I think I'm going with the Claret red since I like the more burgundy red. These were all Duplicolor 8 ounce cans.

ba7agugu.jpg

This helps a whole lot! I was planning on doing this this weekend. You saved me time and money. :love:love:love

I too prefer the more maroon look, at least for the mark III. I chose to use medium garnet red, but then sunburst for the gold.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back