Iron man paint color

Glad this helped out. I plan on clearing the hell out of the suit once it's done. I'd like to go with a full on auto paint job, but don't have the compressor to pull that off. Especially the clear needs to be thicker than a spray can will deliver. Not sure what to do yet.....

I used duplicolor "anodized red metallic" for my helmet. It's a bit lighter that the dark cherry metallic. And I used duplicolor "sunburst gold metallic" for the gold. The gold is DEAD ON. And since there is not alot of gold, I would just go that way.
1vpEk.png

This may be a stupid question, and I'm sure it's probably been asked before, but is there much of a difference using the Dupi Colour paints on a flat basic primer (ie, grey) over putting them on a metallic based primer (ie, silver metallic)? Before I start painting up the suit I'm working on I'd like to get some opinions because if it's going to look good Vs amazing depending only on primer, I'd rather get it right the first time lol.

Thanks! I did the first pieces in my garage, and the lighting made it look extremely dark. I was worried it wouldn't look right, but once I got in the natural light it looked spot on :thumbsup

Well, it is spot on! I remember Steve givinng me those color code some time ago .. but it's the first time I see them on!!

I wanted to wait and have everything done before shooting it, but now that the upper body is done, after I figured out all the attachment points, I might just go ahead and have it shot!

Quite a few variations on the colors of the suit. I think the Claret red metallic is the one I'm going with, whether it's exact to the movie isn't a big deal to me.

unabenup.jpg

mahutaja.jpg

I used duplicolor "anodized red metallic" for my helmet. It's a bit lighter that the dark cherry metallic. And I used duplicolor "sunburst gold metallic" for the gold. The gold is DEAD ON. And since there is not alot of gold, I would just go that way.
1vpEk.png

hey Helagak, where did you get your Duplicolor Anodized Red Metallic paint from?

Ant

im sure theres the perfect color match somewhere but sometimes budget can be a factor. i originally used duplicolor dark cherry metallic and sunburst gold...but at $6 plus per can it got a little expensive and it took way too much paint to get the right hue and to top it all off it started to flake really bad...bummer!
so i went with good ol' rust oleum. twice the paint at half the price readily available at home depot (had to go to 4 different autozones to find the duplicolor paints). and they
go on alot easier with way less coats.
-colonial red
-champagne mist

20121104_234952.jpg

Also, your base coat will effect the brightness of your automotive paint. Like for those who paint over black plasti dip on foam suits will have darker red, rather than painting over gray primer.

This is a great thread. Just purchased a helmet and will be needing this soon. Love all the colors really. Guess we'll see what happens. lol

Noob question, but if you use a spray can to paint your helmet, will it give it a nice clean, even coat; no dripping, stripes etc?

To be honest that pretty much depends entirely on your ability with a spray can. It should give it a nice even coat as long as your method of spraying it doesn't cause the drips/runs etc.

Reeeally like the merlot pearl but I'm split between the bright coat metallic gold and the dupli sun blast. Any of the mentioned paints have metal flake in them? I kind of want to stay away from that look unless it's very subtle.

Noob question, but if you use a spray can to paint your helmet, will it give it a nice clean, even coat; no dripping, stripes etc?

My entire display so far has been painted with rattle cans. Completely depends on your skill level as it's already been mentioned

Reeeally like the merlot pearl but I'm split between the bright coat metallic gold and the dupli sun blast. Any of the mentioned paints have metal flake in them? I kind of want to stay away from that look unless it's very subtle.

Having used both colors, I much prefer the Rustoleum. Just has a better finish in my opinion

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back