Iron man paint color

Alright, I've been experimenting with a number of duplicolor reds. Below you'll see three coats of dark cherry metallic over three different primers. White, gray, and black. In that order. Also in regular light and low light.

ironspoons_zps5ef348c1.jpg

I'm leaning towards the DCM over a gray primer. At least for now. lol

I painted mine using Duplicolor Cherry red metallic over grey primer, but I noticed the more coats you apply the more different the color looks, if you apply 2-3 coats the red is darker if you add 2-3 more coats the red become brighter and truer to the Cherry red is suppose to look like, I assume having a white primer you won't need as many coats as if you would use grey or black primer, I applied 4-5 thin coats to get the correct cherry red, with only 2-3 it was way too dark and was missing some pop to the color, In other words if 10 people paint the helmet using the same exact color primer and Cherry red they all will look different in hue depending on how many coats they apply. I will post photos of mine soon, just have to paint the black and it's done :)

Gerardo

I used Duplicolor Metallic Cherry Red over Duplicolor primer, beautiful color and the shade is perfect, but this Duplicolor paint doesn't stick at all, masked to paint gold and paint just peeled off, then masked gold to paint black same crap,

I was actually able to peel 60% of the paint off the helmet using tape, just press tape onto helmet and paint would just peel off in big chunks, anyone had same issues with Duplicolor paints? I've been painting for ages, I usualy use Krylon and never had these issues, TBH base coat clear coat would be ideal for these kind of jobs, ratlle cans can be a pain to work with.

Gerardo

I used Duplicolor Metallic Cherry Red over Duplicolor primer, beautiful color and the shade is perfect, but this Duplicolor paint doesn't stick at all, masked to paint gold and paint just peeled off, then masked gold to paint black same crap,

I was actually able to peel 60% of the paint off the helmet using tape, just press tape onto helmet and paint would just peel off in big chunks, anyone had same issues with Duplicolor paints? I've been painting for ages, I usualy use Krylon and never had these issues, TBH base coat clear coat would be ideal for these kind of jobs, ratlle cans can be a pain to work with.

Gerardo

I used Duplicolor paints and had the same issue but from reading other peoples experiences online, you need to let each coat cure longer before masking for the next section..

Gerardo

I too had this issue when I made up the Mk VII. The paint would almost fall off as soon as I put the tape on. I'm planning on using some heavy duty automotive plastic adhesive promoter next time to see if that will help at all. I'll also hopefully have more time to let paint coats dry lol.

I too had this issue when I made up the Mk VII. The paint would almost fall off as soon as I put the tape on. I'm planning on using some heavy duty automotive plastic adhesive promoter next time to see if that will help at all. I'll also hopefully have more time to let paint coats dry lol.

Well, I've had these issues too but that's only because I've always been in a rush to finish on time. The best thing is to wait until the next day before masking and doing the next part as far as I can see.

I tried everything, I let my Gold painted face plate dry for almost a week, out of curiousity I did the tape test and the paint just peeled off the face plate, I will never use Duplicolor again, a total waste of time, I will get a color match at a local paint shop and use a base coat clear coat from a can, also when masking I usually remove maksing after a few minutes to prevent paint from peeling, but I still had to pass with a exacto on the egdes to prevent it from peeling after only a few minutes, never had these issues even with thicker paints like Krylon, Armor coat ect...

Gerardo

I had a similar issue with a magneto helmet I decided to do before the IM. After a few days the helmet still had a fresh paint smell. So I dug around online. Here's the catch. Duplicolor heat cures. It also cures layer by layer. So after three weeks of setting around the house it had done me no good.

I ended up setting the helmet in front of a space heater for about two hours turning it every ten minutes or so. I masked it the following day. This likely spared me a lot of grief but I still got two small spots of peel in areas that likely didnt receive enough heat.

It frustrating and definitely an adjustment for me. I'll touch up the peels and see what the end results get me before going back to basic spray paints.

I tried to get what I thought was the best out of the different colors in the Art of Iron Man book. What I found at the paint shop was this. Valspar 860 single stage with activator. Sprayed with a detail gun.
Gold- Volkswagen/Audi Futuragelb Met. A1U
Red- Mitsubishi Primal-Red Pearl R70

This pic is indoors with fluorescent lighting. I'll try to get one in the sunlight tomorrow if the sun comes out.
2cy4ba0.jpg

If one tries to go to an automotive shop and make them mix or whatever the paint for you, how do you ask for that? Do they use like codes or something? Im planning to go on the weekend is just that I dont want to go there with 0 knowledge about it haha

If one tries to go to an automotive shop and make them mix or whatever the paint for you, how do you ask for that? Do they use like codes or something? Im planning to go on the weekend is just that I dont want to go there with 0 knowledge about it haha

you'll need the paint code for them to mix it. i have a place near me that will mix the paint and then put it into a rattle can for me. even tho i have a paint gun, i still do the can. easier clean up.

but if you go to an autobody shop they dont have the tools to put them into a can. you'll need a spray gun and compressor.

I just went with the popular choice of "Sunburst Gold Metallic Clearcoat BP/M6924" and "Toreador Red Effect Clearcoat FL" :D

Here are some pics of my helmet I posted in other thread:

uploadfromtaptalk1379919158850.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1379919132627.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1379919102640.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1379919070863.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1379919009852.jpg

I will try to take some shots in natural lighting if that helps :)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back