Studio Scale Cylon Raider in styrene

moffeaton

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Did it get mentioned here yet? Moebius Models is gonna make this - 1/32nd scale... same as studio scale. Frank has a Salzo casting, so it's gonna be pretty dang sweet!

What like a styrene, studio scale kit? Thats like been a dream of mine for an age, a real raider, not those rather shady CGI flying shoehorns from the nu show?

lee

Moebius Models does indeed have a license to make 'new' styrene kits from the 'old' show. In an effort to make everything based on the same scale (as opposed to the fluctuating box scales from Monogram), they are going with 1/32 as the base for the fighters. The first kit announced at Wonderfest is the Cylon Raider. I helped Jim Key out with his replica in that I patterned the "fake cockpit" interior that he offered. The way his kit was molded, it just lent itself to having a cockpit set as an option. (The actual filming miniatures had NO cockpit details.) In working on the layout, it became apparent that 1/35th scale would probably work. And in fact, I used modified Tamiya figures (the ones offered with their Flak gun kit) as the basis for my figures.

So, if Moebius is going to maintain the 1/35th - 1/32nd scale vibe, we should expect a close-to-studio-scale Raider and a slightly smaller-than-studio-scale Viper (though it may be a wee bit bigger than the Monogram kit.)

Gene

PS - No word on the Viper from Moebius has been announced, though.

I was told that they're doing the Galactica first, but they also have the Viper in the works... The clues are there when you talk to all the 3D guys working in the hobby, lol.

Oh, and before ANYONE reads this and gets all excited.

DON'T expect too see the TOS Galactica ANY TIME SOON !!!!!!!!!!!!!

:darnkids

Their doing it right and starting from scratch so that
will take a a good long while to get to the market..

They have a V2 casting that I provided to them. For the V2 I corrected the top shape from the V1, the V1 was too flat and did not have enough "curvature" both front to back and side to side. The V2 also has the corrected rear louvers, the V1's were too wide. The V2 isclose as far as the accuracy goes, there are some differences of course, some small like some of the panel lines being moved a little, those were tells because at the time i made the pattern almost everything i was doing was being recast.

The bottom and intakes have the biggest difference from the studio model. The bottom was largely left over from the CR offering. From what i can gather and what I have seen is that on the studio model the height of the intake side walls was very inconsistent., taller in some places and shorter in others. Part of that was due to the fact that the "floor" seemed to be flat in some spots and curved in others. To make the bottom intakes consistent thru the length of the body, it looks like the high spot of the side walls was taken, and built symmetrical from there. That changed the overall height of the bottom, changed some of the angles a bit, and even moved the exhaust ports a bit. It's one of those things that once you head down the road of changing something for the sake of symmetry, you just kind of have to deal with where those changes take you. Same thing happened when I did the 15 1/2 inch viper, once i straightened out the engines and leveled them out (they kind of pointed inwards a bit and were not totally level with each other), they led to all types of changes, the backplate got a little bigger so the grebblies did not fit the same way, the bottom tray got a little bigger etc....all the way thru to the nose.

I did not change the bottom much because I did not think i would come up with a better solution at the time.

Of course the V2 was still built by hand so there are some other symmetry issues, but I am sure that those will be addressed. They are using it as a starting point, not as a pattern.

I'm sure that they will do a great job, and i can't wait to get my hands on a few...
mike

Hey Jason,

This is sort of pertient to a PM I sent you the other day. Have you had a chance to read it?

Cheers
Nick

I was told that they're doing the Galactica first, but they also have the Viper in the works... The clues are there when you talk to all the 3D guys working in the hobby, lol.

Catching up on them - was away at WF, and about 20 of them piled up!! Hang tight - will clear the deck today!

Sounds really promising! Nuts to the 'consistent scale' though - a 1/24th styrene Viper would be soooo do-able!!

I'm confused... according to Famous Spaceships of Fact and Fantasy the raiders were 1/24 and the Vipers were 1/16. Since the same mag had access to Grant McCune for the SW models, I'd always thought this source could be trusted...

I think some of those mags are notoriously inconsistent, or they get some stuff mixed up. I think the best indication that the intended scale of the viper was 1/24 was that they put 1/24 scale pilots in them. That seems to gel the best with how people fit in the full size set as well.

As usual with matters of scale and these ships there is no measurement that will be 100% correct, in the real world we can go measure a f-14 but these things were often being made in the model shop with only a vague idea of what the "real world" size would be.
mike

I'm confused... according to Famous Spaceships of Fact and Fantasy the raiders were 1/24 and the Vipers were 1/16. Since the same mag had access to Grant McCune for the SW models, I'd always thought this source could be trusted...

Right. Just looked at some Apogee clips of Vipers on stands and they're clearly 1/24, yeah. The mag fouled up. 1/16 would've brought them to about 3 and a half feet. Silly mag.

I'm a proud owner of a V1 while maybe slightly less accurate, still awesome :) Maybe I should finish that beauty up and make that a wonderfest 2013 priority before it becomes obsolete :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back