Pacific Rim

First I'd heard of it when I saw a link to the trailer. Looks like a lot of fun.

Except for the pilots controlling the robots remotely via virtual reality. It makes practical sense to do so for the safety of the pilots, but from a dramatic standpoint it just separates the characters from the stakes for me. Oh, your robot beat mine, darn. It just isn't as dramatic. Whenever it's been done in other shows/films, my interest plummets. Let's watch our heroes play video games, whee!

I'll still check it out, I think that one aspect probably won't ruin it altogether for me.

Awesome trailer, The Godzilla's '97 version should have looked more like this reptile, as for the giant robo's the Russian Jaeger has my vote for being the coolest, just for being different than the rest.

If only ....... they'll make the Mazinger Z movie look like this, hopefully Go Nagai will go for an unaltered Mazinger Z look.....or what about the Voltron Movie?

Last edited:
Except for the pilots controlling the robots remotely via virtual reality. It makes practical sense to do so for the safety of the pilots, but from a dramatic standpoint it just separates the characters from the stakes for me

But...I think the pilots are controlling it from "Inside" of the head of the robot .

Looks so awesome. Del Toro is definitely paying some nice homage's to the mech anime's of the past. Russians got Shockwave from Transformers, England has a Neo Eva, Japan got Big O, and America got a bit of an Iron Giant with something else thrown in that I can't put my finger on.

If I could buy just one ticket for 2013 I'd definitely choose Pacific Rim to see on the big screen. Love how the few shots of the Jägers in the Trailer already give a good feeling for the gravity of those massive machines. But even after watching the Trailer numerous times I still wouldn't be half excited if it wasn't for GDT.

Don't know though if the movie will be a financial success. I sure hope so, because even without having seen this one I hope for more Robot-Monster action in the future (Pacific Rim Sequel Already in the Works - ComingSoon.net), but I don't see this as a surefire boxoffice success. If the trailer is bundled with The Hobbit, it'll at least get a lot of attention.

GDT: "Listen, in all seriousness, I love this trailer but it's like the trailer for Howards End next to what the movie is gonna deliver."

^This. Was half expecting orange and blue portals to pop up during the trailer.

Edit: Well, I guess technically there is a portal at the bottom of the ocean.

Seriously, I went to see The Hobbit today, I walked out fo the theatre sqeualing most about a voice I heard in a trailer. I would pay to replace Siri's Voice with GlaDos and I'd never stop talking to my phone.

The Aussie one is BAD ASS! That's the one the Japanese one should be, with their fine long standing tradition of robot design.

But it isn't. Ours is coolest. Live with it. :lol

It would be hard to imagine a bigger, dumber piece of ...

Oh, never mind.

:lol

What was your point going to be?

Seriously, I went to see The Hobbit today, I walked out fo the theatre sqeualing most about a voice I heard in a trailer. I would pay to replace Siri's Voice with GlaDos and I'd never stop talking to my phone.

Hearing GlaDOS had me going squee too...now that's what I call fan service.

I have a weird cognitive dissonance thing going on with this movie. No idea what the first source I read was but I've been aware of it for I guess about a year or so...as Del Toro's departure from the world of genre film in favour of a big-budget mainstream studio war/romance movie. Something kinda Pearl Harbour style.

Which is why I never looked further into it - it just didn't sound very cool, and though I didn't begrudge him making the big paycheck league it still seemed disappointing for someone like GdT to turn his back on something he's been such a consistent champion for.

I don't know where the heck the dimensional portal *I* fell through was, but I don't want to go back to my alternative universe. This one is much cooler. :lol

I don't think he turned his back on it. He has been fighting, a nearly Terry Gilliam versus the universe to get Don Quihote made, battle with the studios to fund his dream HP Lovecraft Mountains of Madness project fell through. There was his hobbit debacle, because they didn't trust his artistic vision with Smaug and refusal to do a nearly ten year, three movie contract, etc. If he has to sell out and hit a box office home run to get to get his dream done I for one will support it.

Unfortunately, as a giant monster, giant robot fan, I have a feeling, no matter how cool... this may be a tough sell for the US, Lowest Common Denominator, test audience stupid money, test that dictates what the world sees. I hope I'm wrong though, and regardless, since the voice actress Ellen McClain or McCann who did GlaDoS, got paid work to do this I'd be in if it was a stick figure trailer.

By "mainstream" I meant it as in mainstream novel, not Hollywood tentpole. You know - Burning Romance Against the Backdrop of a World Gone Mad, sort of fing.

That was literally the first description I read - something like it being a period war movie focusing on character relationships more than action. Put me off so badly I never checked up on it, so the trailer was, er, a bit of an eye-opener for me. :lol

I'm in; agree it could be a tough sell, hope it won't flop.

I have been following this movie for a good while, and was really excited to see such good action shots featured in the trailer. I really hope this movie does well but so far it seems like it's coming in under the radar. I keep talking about it with friends and co-workers and nobody has known about it before I tell them so far. I also think it would be really cool to tie in a viral campaign like they did with Cloverfield. The Viral campaign for that movie was even better than the movie itself !

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back