WIP - TNG Isolinear Chips

Hell yeah! Now we're talking about iso chips, they are even better done than the screen used, though they are of high quality. But: the double sided ones, the frosted circuit pattern has to be facing opposite when looking through them, not matching up. Go back to the pics and see for yourself. The UV acrylics are well done and screen accurate so far.

IMHO, they look much better lined up. Just because the real props were not, doesn't mean yours have to have the same misaligned (IMHO again, 'untidy') look.

I'm not sure, but he might have meant the design on the other side should be flipped? So that when you look at one side, and see the other side through/underneath it, it creates a contrast of design and a layering of circuits effect (as they wouldn't be aligned)? At least that's what I thought he meant.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I thought, I can alter it so when you looked through the chip you can see the bottom circuit. At the moment the bottom image is reversed so it aligned with the top one.

I've roughly 40+ chips now, designedly in that way. I will probably make another 40 in the other way :)

I also don't want to jump the gun, but a USB ISO chip has been discussed.

As me and my friend are both buzzed about that design

Yes please. The flipped circuits are what they used mostly on screen. Or just one sided.

IMHO, they look much better lined up. Just because the real props were not, doesn't mean yours have to have the same misaligned (IMHO again, 'untidy') look.
Buddy, either screen accurate replica or none ;)

Last edited:
The TNG chips look great but I agree; screen accurate or none!! :)

As promised here are the measurements in both inches and millimeters (in parenthesis) of the Enterprise Data Cartridges:
DataModuleDimensionslowreswatermarked.jpg

Thank you for the info on the ent chip, I promise that i shall look in to this. I certainly have the means at the moment to get it done, what with my friend having bought a laser cutter. I'm going to try and get some projects done while I can, before the chance passes me by. So If i can research the ent data card and make them, i'll have a try. The first hurdle is the while handle. Wonder if you can buy solid styrene rods in that thickness?

As promised here are the measurements in both inches and millimeters (in parenthesis) of the Enterprise Data Cartridges:

Thanks alot. :)

Seeing and feeling the real deal, what do you think is the white bar made from? It seems opaque to a certain degree, but not really pure white.

Sanded acrylic?

If i make any, i'm going to be trying to find a white plastic that is easy to cut. As i suspect i shall need to make an insert for the clear acrylic to plug in to, so the circuit part of the data card and the handle fit together firmly.

Thanks alot. :)

Seeing and feeling the real deal, what do you think is the white bar made from? It seems opaque to a certain degree, but not really pure white.

Sanded acrylic?

I wish I knew more about plastic. It has a very glossy finish; like glass. It is not white; not like white acrylic. It is translucent and it transmits light very well. It appears to have been cut; perhaps from half-inch thick stock because the sides are perfectly glossy but the front, back and edges are not. There is no slot for the data card portion of it; the two layers of acrylic are simply glued onto the surface of it; but it is a very strong bond (probably clear epoxy). I can see some evidence of adhesive through the acrylic but just a tiny bit. Again, I wish I could identify the material. It almost looks like the nylon washers you see at a hardware store. I will see if I can find someone locally who can identify the material that the front portion is made from.

Here are some photos; maybe someone can identify the square material. Notice how you can tell that the square part has been cut to shape.

DSC07564.jpg

DSC07566.jpg

DSC07565.jpg

DSC07572.jpg

Notice it's not even glued in the center of the square material.

DSC07571.jpg

DSC07570.jpg

Here is one without the flash showing the finish on the square part:
DSC07574.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps natural teflon (or natural colored nylon)?

Whatever it is; I think without the proper material any replica will suffer. That square part; its look and the way it transmits light is a major, important part of the whole thing.

Last edited:
No teflon - it is glued to the acrilic sheets, and glueing teflon is .... well, teflon is used cause nothing sticks on it really well.

Does the original material feels "hard" like acrylic stuff, or more soft, like many toys?

It could be "acrylglas opalweiß", that would match the color and apearance.

But ... i don´t know how it is called in english, and i cannot find it in square rods of the correct size - 0,5"/12,7mm is not available here, sure, but i also don´t find it in 12mm. Only up to 10mm sheet/panel.

Another way to come close may be to use clear acrylic glas rod, and sand the surface, followed with some polishing - just enough to get it smooth and keep the milky appearance.

No teflon - it is glued to the acrilic sheets, and glueing teflon is .... well, teflon is used cause nothing sticks on it really well.

Does the original material feels "hard" like acrylic stuff, or more soft, like many toys?

Yes, that does make sense, duh!!! I should have been able to at least figure that much out!!! lol.

The material is very hard like acrylic. In fact it may be acrylic but I've never seen it in this color. I found this acrylic sample pack with a color that looks like it could be a match.

ACRYLITE® - Shop - Sign Color Samples Box - Sample Kits
Yeah I said it reminds me of telfon, I didn't said it was.

Opal silk acrylic or Perspex, PMMA could be a hit. But from the photos it looks more like light grey.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back