avengers style thor costume UPDATE: FINISHED!

grey matter

hey gang!

first time poster here, but i've been lurking for a while. some really amazing and inspiring work on here!

i've been making costumes for longer than i can remember for myself and friends. so i thought i'd join up here and share some of my work and tips and hope to get some back in return.

up first is my arm sleeves material. i had not been able to find a suitable material (i even bought the disguise prestige costume in hopes to reuse some of the parts, like the sleeves, but apparently i have ape arms and look like frankenthor in that costume), so i made my own.

this is a dark silver lamé over fusible batting (oh yeah! good stuff, you iron the parts together, no need for basting or pinning) with tshirt jersey backing. this was my first attempt with just a small sample of fabric (fits my son perfect)

i'll post more progress and other parts soon, thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Re: new member: avengers style thor costume

thanks crusaderman2004!

one thing i feel like am done with is the hammer. i lucked out last year and was able to get the disguise costume hammer for $5 at target after halloween. i wasn't going to modify it at all, until i saw avengers and i really liked the "end cap" on the handle.

so without further ado, here is my solution for that (brushed steel door knob, and a large aluminum button cover)

Re: avengers style thor costume UPDATE: hammer and test bracer!

finished a test bracer (may use it as a final, depends on how the second one comes out) that is also just a sample piece of the arm armor and the red forearm guard fabric.

are you going to be making more of the sleeves to sell? I'm really interested in them

are you going to be making more of the sleeves to sell? I'm really interested in them

that was just a test piece, but i am making full size pieces for my arms, i'll have to time how long it takes me to do a piece and what the cost of the mats are, but i think i'd be down for that.

Nice work you've done so far, I'll keep an eye on it

thanks! expect some updates next week sometime!

that was just a test piece, but i am making full size pieces for my arms, i'll have to time how long it takes me to do a piece and what the cost of the mats are, but i think i'd be down for that.

thanks! expect some updates next week sometime!

do you have an estimate price-wise atm?

Just checked back in on this thread. Awesome work and I love everything you've shown. Every time I see these quality Thor builds it kind of makes me want to do one. I don't think my pitch black, short cropped hair works for it thought. And my wife says a blonde wig on me would freak her out. Lol.

Anyway, can't wait to see what you finish up next. This is going to look great when it's completed.

some minor updates

hey gang!
been a while since i posted on this, i've been very busy with the day job and family. trying to get in as much time as i can to work on this build.

what i have for you today is a completed sheet of the quilted fabric. i've uploaded the pics of what it looked like with just the quilting and then with the darkened seem lines. going to me making the sleeves through the weekend and early next week and should be rolling out more updates on other parts soon.

for those that were interested in the fabric, here's where i'm at on that: it took me longer than i really wanted it to (by the second sheet though i was getting faster) about 4 hours total for each sheet. i'm still willing to make them for others, but if you were hoping for them before dragoncon, i am not going to have enough time to work on them between then and now. but, if you were looking towards halloween, i am sure we can work something out.

without further ado, here are the pics!

Re: avengers style thor costume UPDATE: armor fabric

this all looks awesome! two questions though:
1) how good a quality is the hammer? i've seen a lot of replica hammers out there, but they typically don't hold up at all because they're usually made out of some hollow rubber.

B) did you buy the fabric pre-quilted or did you do that part yourself? and then how did you make the stitching darker?

this all looks awesome! two questions though:
1) how good a quality is the hammer? i've seen a lot of replica hammers out there, but they typically don't hold up at all because they're usually made out of some hollow rubber.

thanks!

i like it. it is hollow plastic (standard hard plastic) and holds up nice i think, plus it's light weight and won't weigh down my belt when i tuck it in while walking around.

B) did you buy the fabric pre-quilted or did you do that part yourself? and then how did you make the stitching darker?

the fabric is a dark silver lamé over fusible batting (oh yeah! good stuff, you iron the parts together, no need for basting or pinning) with tshirt jersey backing. i had to quilt it myself. to darken the lines i used a permanent fabric marker and went over each line 2 times (once and then dry for 24 hours and then do it again)

i should be posting some updates soon, making them into sleeves at the moment.

Great job on the fabric! It looks really good. What you did to the end of the hammer was a great idea too.

What material are you using for the armor?

whew, when it rains it pours! lots of stuff going on (good stuff) and i haven't had much time to work on this much. but i am still on track for dragoncon.

Great job on the fabric! It looks really good. What you did to the end of the hammer was a great idea too.

What material are you using for the armor?

the material is silver lamè, fusible batting, and tshirt jersey for a backing. i had to quilt it myself.

getting several things at about 90% complete. here are a couple:

the sleeves are just about complete. just need to sew the zipper on the front. i made it sort of like a bolero so that it is easy to get on and off.

then the main front part of the chest armor is glued, now to decide to paint it or to cover it with some silver leather. (anyone have any experience with doing anything like that?)

let me know what you all think and keep an eye here for more updates!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back