Possible new source for R2D2 domes

andy19422

Sr Member
I was walking around B&Q today which is a DIY store in England and spotted these.
redmetaldomelampshademo.jpg

By andy19422 at 2012-05-16
I don't know much about the specs for R2 but they seem about the right size. They are 450mm -17 3/4 x 220mm - 8 5/8. They are steel and are £24.98

Last edited:
R2 dome specs are 18.25'' dia., and approx. 10 1/2'' tall -- with extension ring at the bottom add another inch.

These would do fine for a scratch build (although a bit squat looking), but you'd have to scratch build all parts. The IKEA one looks even more proportionally short.

Doug

I like most thought the R2 dome was just a half sphere. But no easy way out for the finicky......it is indeed a quasi Bullet shape. Nice find though.

To use it for the most widely accepted scale for R2 Builders (IMHO) it's too short and not wide enough.

It needs to be 46.5cm x 30cm, but it's 45cm x 22cm

While it does need a straight start before the curve starts (the rings) adding 8cm will be too much to get it to 30cm and it sides would need padding out by at least 10mm.

Of course the R2 body could be scaled down to compensate, just depends on what level of screen accuracy you're chasing.

I've bought a completed screen accurate (headless) R2 from a past member, so I find the search for a non manufactured dome interesting.

Good find though:cool

Rogue

I have to say, if you don't care about complete screen accuracy (which I don't) then buy one and go for it. I love Dazziep's link. Great start to the build. I personally think that anything you spend enough time on will look good and you will be proud of it. That being said, it sucks that these are not okay for the "perfect" build.

Totally agree with you mate :) (plus I can't afford to buy one that would be screen accurate :D )
I chose this because I'd seen others use it and it always seems to look ok.
So like mac3kudy says. .. go for it.

Glad my idea of the lampshade helped you. I was going to make another model of R2 so I could get away from people saying the shape is wrong.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back