My second ever prop project. Han Solo in Carbonite...i mean MYSELF in Carbonite

Catgrabber

Since i was a kid i loved the entire "han solo frozen in carbonite" scene. I recently decided to make one but took it a step in a new direction. By no means does it compare to the ones i have seen on this awesome board but I created mine using 75% methods i discovered. Im sure other guys have used them but I tried to be are genuine as possible. I did use the core "body and clothes" creation method by a member on here. FANTASTIC WORK! As i mentioned, his is by far better then mine but mine has a twist. ..

I want to show you guys step by step how to put YOURSELF IN A LIFESIZE REPLICA OF CARBONITE LIKE I DID.

Take a look...

I am far from done but this will give you an idea. I know i made countless errors if i want to be accurate with the movie prop but i swear if it sits outside (and i live on a busy road) at least 10 people will stop in a day and ask questions and are amazed by my sloppy project. Let me post a split screen shot of my face so you can see the resemblance.

Again, by no means is this a replica. Im certain there are 1000 things not accurate but it is an ongoing process and tons of fun. It is very sloppy compared to most on here A few more pics...

I wanted to use all my clothes and body parts. So, those are replicas of my hands, a pair of old boots etc. The night i made my fave and hand i took a pencil and drew in facial hair.

Let me tell you something guys...you never REALLY see yourself in 3D. Pics and videos are all 2D. If you want to have an erie feeling come over you, make a replica of yourself. Heres a pic of the face and hand the night i made em out of bondo and plaster of paris...

That is so cool man! That would look great haning on the wall at Jaba's Palace! :lol

Do you have any other pictures of the build process? Or can you link to some of the other threads that you used on this forum? You can private message me those if you want.

The process is pretty easy and again, i am not even close to a professional. Essentially the hardest part is making the hands and face. Heres how...

1. Fill a plastic container with simple plaster of paris. You can get it at wallmart, meiers, craft stores etc. Add 1 part water to 3 parts plaster of paris (same as the directions state)

2. Whatever body part you are making a mold of you must cover it in vasalene or petroleum jelly (even lotion if you must) The point here is to apply lubricant. Be sure to not cake it on. Just a thin layer covering every part of you that will be in the plaster. If you decide to do your face, be certain to plug your nose with tissue or nose plugs. Lastly, when molding your face you need to breath unless you can hold your breath for 22 minutes so fasten a thin straw or tube so it wraps around and out of the box where your face will be.

3. After the above steps are completed stir the plaster until it looks like pancake batter. Trust me it gets hard fast so be ready to dive in. Slowly submerge your greased up face into the container. Be sure to test your breathing tube beforehand of course.

4. Wait and experience what it would actually feel like to be encased in carbonite. At first it feels soft and comfy. Slowly it gets harder and harder. Dont panic if it feels like its glued to your face. Its not and if you pull your face out early you will ruin it. Trust me, you want to keep your face submerged as long as you can.

5. After 20 mins to a half hour take one hand and feel the plaster. If it isnt 100% solid then its not done. If it is solid, slowly start to wiggle your face muscles. You will feel it slowly slipping off.

6. One you come out be ready for a bit of disorientation. Take the container and the imprint of your face and let it dry overnight.

7. The next day get a can of regular bondo. The stuff they use to fix rusty cars and such. Mix in the hardening creme as directed on the can. Be SURE to mix it to the point where the bondo has no swirles or different colors. Mix it until its one color. The hardening creme needs to be throughput the bondo. Before pouring in the bondo i like to apply another coat of vasaleene into the mold. I use a small paintbruss to just barely apply it evenly so the face comes out easy. Finally, pour the bondo slowly into your plaster face mold. Make sure you pour it even.

8. Heres the fun part. Bondo hardens VERY FAST and you can easily tell when its done because it gets very hot to the touch during the hardening phase. After 30 mins it will be hard as a rock. Literally. If you want to be safe leave it in overnight. If you are an impatient hack like me 30 mins will have to do Take a butter knife and slowly pry your face mold out. If you manage to bust the plaster it is fine. If you want to save the mold for other copies take your time and be patient. Or again you can do it like me and go to town with a hammer.

What you will see next will floor you because we never truly see ourselves in the 3rd dimention. So if you were patient and did it right, you might be shocked at how you feel looking at a copy of your own face...

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF ONE I DID FOR MY FRIEND. YES, HIM HAVING NO HAIR MADE IT A LOT EASIER.

More later

Safety note:

Alginate with a plaster bandage sleeve works better and will not have the chance of burning your face while curing, something plaster can do since plaster heats as it cures.

Also you need to be sitting up, your face will shift in the laying down position.

I am far from done but this will give you an idea. I know i made countless errors if i want to be accurate with the movie prop but i swear if it sits outside (and i live on a busy road) at least 10 people will stop in a day and ask questions and are amazed by my sloppy project. Let me post a split screen shot of my face so you can see the resemblance.
I think you have done a great job and should be proud of what you have achieved.
It's a great focal point, outside the house.

Safety note:

Alginate with a plaster bandage sleeve works better and will not have the chance of burning your face while curing, something plaster can do since plaster heats as it cures.

Also you need to be sitting up, your face will shift in the laying down position.

Yes!!! listen to division 6. You can do serious damage to yourself or someone else. Products like plaster which use a catalyst to harden can get extremely hot. You should thoroughly research anything you intend to put on your skin first.

here's what happens when it goes wrong: Foundation school body fined after student loses six fingers and both thumbs in art class

Catgrabber, great work on your HIC mate :thumbsup

There is no question that this was legit but i am certain as with most cases like this it had many more factors. There are countless instructions online and in print suggesting the use of plaster of paris. I can tell you for certain that if she used the regular plaster of paris she would have been able to have soneone break her hands free with very little effort. Im fairly certain she had an allergic reaction to whatever substance she put her hands in. I have used plaster of paris about 20 times and not once did it even get warm. The bondo does but that doesnt touch your skin. The plaster of paris i am referring to is sold at Walmart and Meier. Perhaps there are several kinds. Regardless, there are always risks when using these materials. I do appreciate your advise though.

Safety note:

Very true my friend! Thank you

That is so cool man! That would look great haning on the wall at Jaba's Palace! :lol

Do you have any other pictures of the build process? Or can you link to some of the other threads that you used on this forum? You can private message me those if you want.

Im setting up an online instruction guide to help people who wish to do the same. Ill send it to ya when i finish it. Im finding so many new and easier ways as well. Thanks for the compliment!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back