My AP armour

Can I ask what makes this an ESB version? Is it the hand armor? I notice that those are different than the hand pcs in the photos that the AP guys sent me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JTKenobi @ Jan 20 2007, 11:10 PM) [snapback]1401521[/snapback]</div>
Can I ask what makes this an ESB version? Is it the hand armor? I notice that those are different than the hand pcs in the photos that the AP guys sent me.
[/b]
Well, one difference I know of is that the frown on the helmet is painted black in ESB instead of grey as in ANH.

The main differences for ESB are black teeth and decals for the trapezoids and tube stripes on the helmet,different style hand guards and the holster worn on the right hip.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Mawr @ Oct 25 2006, 02:34 AM) [snapback]1344351[/snapback]</div>
TK8410, when I saw the first thumbnail I could have sworn that someone had stolen the first pic of me in in armor. Even the background looks like the home we just moved from.
[/b]

First case of house recasting on the RPF :lol

Nice armour Gord :thumbsup

Top job :)

Cheers Chris.

TK8410,
Thanks again for sharing. A couple questions if I may:
1-You thank JEZ for the reference material on his site. Can you share what site that is?
2-Did you wire the helmet with fans/voice system? Since the AP kit/helmet is much smaller than the FX, I am wondering if this can be done comfortably with the AP kit with an average head-size.
3-Have you heard of people out-growing their AP kits? At 5'9" and 175 lbs, I seem to be the perfect size for this kit, but I have been getting a little bit bigger around the mid-section. This sounds silly, but any comments would be appreceiated.

Any other tips, photos, links, how-tos, etc. would be helpful. I know there is a lot out there, but they all help.

Thanks..
JT :)

www.starwarshelmets.com

fans - no problem. voice - no problem although I wonder about the effectiveness of small speakers and potential feedback problems.

Don't go above 175. I have a GF which is very similiar and I started at 178. It was a tight fit around the midsection with a one-inch gap on the sides. The thighs were pretty tight as well. I am now down to 160 and I could probably close up the sides if I wanted to.

:eek OMG that is beautiful. Fantastic job.

My wife would go nuts if she saw what you've created. She really really wants me to get some Stormy armor. :D

Well, as soon as we can afford it. :cry

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clutch @ Jan 24 2007, 04:30 PM) [snapback]1404244[/snapback]</div>
www.starwarshelmets.com

fans - no problem. voice - no problem although I wonder about the effectiveness of small speakers and potential feedback problems.

Don't go above 175. I have a GF which is very similiar and I started at 178. It was a tight fit around the midsection with a one-inch gap on the sides. The thighs were pretty tight as well. I am now down to 160 and I could probably close up the sides if I wanted to.
[/b]

Thanks Clutch. Boy, I that last point is a bit of a bummer. My scrawny legs shouldn't be a problem but I certainly expect to gain some weight around the midsection as time goes on. I hate to say it but this is another reason why I may go with the FX. I want this armor to last forever.

I'd be very curious to hear from people who 'outgrew' their abplate and what was done to adjust. There must be some solutions that work alright. I need more reasons to go with the AP.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JTKenobi @ Jan 25 2007, 01:23 AM) [snapback]1404297[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clutch @ Jan 24 2007, 04:30 PM) [snapback]1404244[/snapback]
www.starwarshelmets.com
[/b]
Thanks Clutch. Boy, I that last point is a bit of a bummer. My scrawny legs shouldn't be a problem but I certainly expect to gain some weight around the midsection as time goes on. I hate to say it but this is another reason why I may go with the FX. I want this armor to last forever.
I'd be very curious to hear from people who 'outgrew' their abplate and what was done to adjust. There must be some solutions that work alright. I need more reasons to go with the AP.
[/b][/quote]
I have heard of people wearing a white band around their waist, so you don't see the black gap between the ab-plate and the back-piece. Just a thought, before going the FX route...

BTW, I don't think there is anything wrong with a black gap in the sides. Just as long as you don't go overboard. When you start seeing more black than white on your stormtrooper suit, that's a sign that you should probably move to a more forgiving costume. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clutch @ Jan 24 2007, 08:01 PM) [snapback]1404354[/snapback]</div>
BTW, I don't think there is anything wrong with a black gap in the sides. Just as long as you don't go overboard. When you start seeing more black than white on your stormtrooper suit, that's a sign that you should probably move to a more forgiving costume. :)
[/b]

LOL. Well said.

You said above 'wonder about the effectiveness of small speakers and potential feedback problems'. Can you elaborate? How is the equipment one would use with an AP kit any different than what people use with other kits? Smaller speakers?

Sorry, but I will keep asking questions until someone tells me I'm getting too annoying :D

well, the AP helmet is a LOT smaller than the FX, so that comment could be in reference to it being harder to have a helmet-contained speaker system in there.

i've used the costumes as a way to stay motivated to get smaller.

i started off at 5'9", 228lbs and an FX kit. i'm now at 175 and an AP kit with about a 1" gap on either side.

i made plastic side panels for it though to fill in the space, since i just didn't like how it looked.

Thanks for the compliment Motive :) Love your avatar by the way...Steve is a HUGE hero of mine :thumbsup

JT, with regards to your questions (feel free to ask as many as you like mate.) as Clutch has already said, www.starwarshelmets.com is THE business.

I have fitted out my helmet with two fans and a ROM F/X voice amp, including all relevant batteries and wiring. Yes, compared to an FX lid it is smaller/tighter fit, but I still get the helmet on/off with no real difficulty and it all works well for me. I have an "average" sized head I suppose, lol. My speaker is located behind my chest armour and I find it works VERY well there. Have never tried mic tip speakers myself.

I personally haven't heard of anyone "out-growing" their AP kit, but if you are of the "larger" frame, I would say going F/X is not a bad idea. That's not to say that you can't fit into a more accurate set of armour using shims etc etc. It can be done and still look very good indeed.

I am just under 5'9 and I hit the scales at 180lbs. There wasn't a HUGE gap at the sides, but I don't like black showing myself, so I crafted up some plastic inserts (did the same with my FX armour) from the left over ABS in the kit. They are simply held in place with Industrial Strength Velcro, making it easy to adjust and/or remove as req'd.

If there is anything else I can help with, feel free to ask :)

Cheers, Gord.

Weight and girth of ones body is the baine of many a trooper - I am about 200 ponds and 5'-11". I had a TE styrene kit and shims for the side and behind the legs was manditory.

On the front of the armor I butted the two front edges of the leg/thigh armor together and glued a 1 1/2 inch of scrap styrene strips in the front... then rounded the edges a bit to make the strip look more vac formed.

After all the leg armor has been glued in the front using the strips, I put each piece on my legs individually to determin the width of the back strips to be glued on ec.

Its a bit time consuming doing the clamps to glue but its alot of fun when you realize hat it WILL fit you and you wont look odd at all. My armor is on Jezs' site at Star Wars Helmets.com under Blastermaniacs full suit. This is under the "Anon" armor section. My avatar is one of the pics on the site

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blastech @ Jan 25 2007, 08:52 AM) [snapback]1404618[/snapback]</div>
Weight and girth of ones body is the baine of many a trooper - I am about 200 ponds and 5'-11". I had a TE styrene kit and shims for the side and behind the legs was manditory.

On the front of the armor I butted the two front edges of the leg/thigh armor together and glued a 1 1/2 inch of scrap styrene strips in the front... then rounded the edges a bit to make the strip look more vac formed.

After all the leg armor has been glued in the front using the strips, I put each piece on my legs individually to determin the width of the back strips to be glued on ec.

Its a bit time consuming doing the clamps to glue but its alot of fun when you realize hat it WILL fit you and you wont look odd at all. My armor is on Jezs' site at Star Wars Helmets.com under Blastermaniacs full suit. This is under the "Anon" armor section. My avatar is one of the pics on the site
[/b]

Blastech,
Your armor & helmet is gorgeous. I can't see where shims have been used at all. Your words are very encouraging and make me think that AP is the way to go (the only screen accuate suit I know that is currently available to me). Let me know if you have any other good recources or How-tos on how to do shimming. I have a feeling this would be tough.

Finally, does anyone here think that an AP kit would be too tough to do for a first kit? I have zero experience doing anything like this and I have heard many people say to go with a FX kit if it is your first time.

I had some small 20mm speakers which I fixed into pepsi bottle tops and fixed them to my areators. To stop feedback I covered the caps and the area of my lid around the microphone with Dynamat Extreme, which is a sticky backed sound suppressing material. Absolutley no feedback even with the volume cranked up full and the speakers were suprinsingly powerful for their size :)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back