Marty McFly's Skateboard - Valterra Splatter Deck Conversion

Well, I just tried to mount the wheels to the trucks, and it looks like the copers I bought from Madrid won't work with the Invader 800s anyhow. The coper is just slightly wider than the axle, so the fly wheels rub against them and don't move fluidly. So now I need to either shorten the coper, or find ones that do fit. Suggestions? Where did you end up getting yours Emma?

TherealMcfly sold them to me. So I don't know where he had them from. But they fit the bullet trucks. I had to hammer them down because it was a snug fit, I should have cut them a bit I suppose xD but they are not sliding on the trucks so it's good. ^^

There are a few brands of flat bottom copers out there, some are harder/softer than others. Emma's are Z-flex brand. It was not an uncommon practice to trim your copers down. Indeed Madrid did this on their own 25th anniversary replicas and I had to do it on my own replica too. For the harder less flexible plastics you can boil them first to soften them up to get onto the truck hanger.

Hmm. I don't have access to power tools, so that may prove challenging. Plus, my copers were originally yellow and spray painted white. I wonder how the paint would hold up when boiled. Perhaps I should get my hands on some white copers and then figure out how to get them cut down.

Hmm. I don't have access to power tools, so that may prove challenging. Plus, my copers were originally yellow and spray painted white. I wonder how the paint would hold up when boiled. Perhaps I should get my hands on some white copers and then figure out how to get them cut down.

Table saw? Or if you don't have access to one, coping saws are pretty cheap.

I'll take the painted Copers off your hands if you think they can go back to yellow. I probably have another set of white Z Flex if you're interested PM me.

I got just the deck on ebay for way less than a full board. I'm using all new hardware anyway. The top graphic is in decent shape, but is too low compared to the screen used board so I'm stripping the board printing out a new graphic and applying new grip tape. Same thing for the bottom. It has other decals I don't want too so I will remove those the best I can and place the bottom graphic on.
$_1.JPG

$_1.JPG

$_1.JPG

$_1.JPG

$_1.JPG

I need to shorten the copers and color the yellow on the explosion decal green and give it a white background because this one is clear. I will use a file previously posted for the circle Madrid decal. For the trucks I will follow in another member's footsteps and get some invader trucks and paint them black. And since Madrid still makes the fly wheels I will obtain those soon as well. I will figure out the pivot cups and bushings when I get the trucks.

Last edited:
Don't strip the top. There is enough graphic there to match every screenshot. You want the angled grip to extend past the yellow just slightly.
image.jpgimage.jpg

In fact, your deck is begging for a painted color correction. Compare it to mine on the first page and notice how much more offset there is on the magenta layer. Your board is almost a completely aligned overlap. That makes the color correction that much easier since there nearly nothing to blackout first.

If you were going to cover all of the exposed artwork of the deck then why spend?

In fact, your deck is begging for a painted color correction. Compare it to mine on the first page and notice how much more offset there is on the magenta layer. Your board is almost a completely aligned overlap. That makes the color correction that much easier since there nearly nothing to blackout first.

If you were going to cover all of the exposed artwork of the deck then why spend?

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm surprised I didnt notice that. I will just peel up the grip tape then and let it overlap the graphic when applying new griptape.

Last edited:
Don't strip the top. There is enough graphic there to match every screenshot. You want the angled grip to extend past the yellow just slightly.
View attachment 479294View attachment 479295

How much of an angle is the graphic at? Ive seen pictures of replicas with a big angle and some where it's just straight across. I think with how real Valterra decks are straight across will look best. The screen used boards were completely made by Madrid correct?

Who actually produced the movie decks is still unknown. I know of two flat factory Valterra decks that are just the magenta on the bottom like in the movie, but still wider at the kick tail and not quite the same shape as the movie board.

As as for the grip tape and the graphic, you simply want your grip tape to match the angle of the Valterra text. If you're tired of squinting at screen caps you can use my board on the first page as a guide for spacing. Do not use the 25th anniversary replica as reference, they didn't get it quite right. All Valterra splatter decks have the text at an angle. The variation to the angle is very slight from board to board. There is no 'straight' across version of this graphic. Early fan made replicas did not get this right.

Since you're buying reissue FLY wheels from Madrid Skateboards you might as well add the flypaper grip tape to your order. It is likely the same exact brand used on the movie board.

I received my Valterra deck today. Its in decent shape, but it needs some work. Nothing I can't handle though. I have experience with bondo and electric sanding.

Last edited:
Currently I'm restoring the top and bottom Valterra graphics with permanent marker. It works surprisingly well using black and pink. Yellow doesnt work too well. Actual paint would have to be used.

I've decided to order a paint marker to make the bottom graphic accurate. Since the board in real life has like a double vision thing going on I am coloring over the pink parts with black and will cover the blue splatter with the pink paint marker. That will keep the board in its current wood state and I think it preserves it better than a sticker to cover everything.

Last edited:
TheRealMcFly, the only available flypaper today has a fly cutout shape in it. I'm just going to take the deck to a skateshop after I clean it up and have griptape professionally applied.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skateboards need bearings. Is there a certain kind that needs to be used with the fly wheels, or will any bearings do?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back