Marty McFly's Skateboard - Valterra Splatter Deck Conversion

Well I had my Valterra for $50 :thumbsup xD

I don't have your kind of luck :unsure

Capture.JPG

No joke. Besides, if I'm gonna shell out a ridiculous amount of money for something vintage, it'll be for the Aiwa :D

Yeah! I kinda understand that, I bought mine 2 years ago and had it for $250, broken belt though... I hope you'll find one anytime soon! It's a great item to have!!

I'm going to create a vector file of the spatters for my board project. Because I am a masochist. Ideally, I'd like to find someone who could screen print it onto the board I have, eventually. I picked up a Madrid "Explosion" deck, which my stepdad is going to help me sand down and paint black. From there, it'll be a matter of getting the pattern on there and then adding the hardware. There's a screen printing place near me that prints on a lot of different substrates, maybe they're up for a one-off project such as this.

Finished board photo courtesy of EmmaInCandyland. It'll make for a good template to work from. :)

Capture.JPG

I'm all about creating an accurate vector. But considering this is a public forum please be aware that Valterra and Madrid Skateboards are still in business. Maybe Madrid Skateboards would consider releasing just the deck again this year for the 30th anniversary. Their 25th anniversary replica was reasonably priced when it was originally available.

That all said, I started color correcting another vintage deck after adding some concave on top. Emma's board is wonderful but I think some of the finer splatter detail may have been lost in the restoration. Even Madrid's own replica is a little softer when compared to the vintage decks. I could take some straight-on high res photos for accurate sized board graphics.

I won't be turning this into a for-profit project. I just want to create a replica for myself, and found that I'm getting priced out on eBay every time I try and grab a vintage one. If Madrid wants to put these back into production, problem solved. In the meantime, I'm taking the DIY route.

The explosion deck I'm using, fly wheels, and copers I have on-hand came straight from them, so they did get some business out of me. :)

They have been going for high prices lately. I am surprised, especially considering they all have the extra blue layer on the bottom. I know of one person with a just magenta bottom original but no concave.

I can't say enough good things about Madrid Skateboards. Made in USA!

None of the splatters have been lost while re painting the board. My board was pretty messed up though so if there's any splatters gone is probably because it was scratched off before I got started... But even the smaller splatters have been repainted ^^

Emma it was not my intention to be critical of your board. I am just a perfectionist, and unfortunately that can sometimes work against finishing a project. I have a new condition deck completely untouched for reference.

I had read on another forum that a devoted fan developed the vectors for Madrid's replica. They are very good but the scaling was off on the actual board. The original Valterra 'stripe' is just over 3" tall but over 3.5" on their replica. This is one reason why you might find the top of the explosion sticker underneath the riser on the 25th anniversary replica.

Last edited:
Emma it was not my intention to be critical of your board. I am just a perfectionist, and unfortunately that can sometimes work against finishing a project. I have a new condition deck completely untouched for reference.

I had read on another forum that a devoted fan developed the vectors for Madrid's replica. They are very good but the scaling was off on the actual board. The original Valterra 'stripe' is just over 3" tall but over 3.5" on their replica. This is one reason why you might find the top of the explosion sticker underneath the riser on the 25th anniversary replica.

No worries, I was just explaining myself :p! And yeah I'm not much fond of the 25th anniversary replica either... I find always cooler to have an actual skateboard from the 80's. Adds up some authenticity to it!

Alright, i just got a few items for my BTTF collection and this board is next.

im definitely gonna have to read through all of those threads here an see Emma's board and all the other boards as references and find the best way to build mine. Im a graphic designer and i use to skateboard a lot back in the days so it's probably gonna help a bit.

im assuming the right step to take is to find an old deck with the same shape. Replicat the designs to either get it screen printed or make a vinyl stencil to spraypaint and try to find the stickers or replicas. then the hardwares. good times ahead haha

Capture.JPG

Making progress. I can only work on this for an hour or so at a time because of the tedium involved, but I'm getting there. The yellow denotes the vector work I've completed so far. I started with the bottom of the board first. This will make the top so much easier by comparison once I get to it.

I made some progress on my replica this weekend. I got my explosion deck sanded, primed, and gave it two coats of black paint. It's now ready for the graphics, as soon as I can find a place to do it. The few screen printing places around here don't print on much other than t-shirts, so it looks like I'll be finding one that specializes in skateboards. A quick internet search turned up several, but the ones I've found only print on the boards they sell. I've reached out to one place that will print on boards of any shape with no minimum order, so hopefully they can help me out. I also hit the yellow Madrid copers with several coats of white spray paint as well.

IMG_3724.JPGIMG_3730.JPGView attachment 461080

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back