New Thor Avengers Hammer or THOR movie Hammer?

MonsterGlue

In the movie "THOR", his trusty hammer Mjolnir looked like this:
Thor-hammer-BOOYA_3.png

7157412882_c50cbf1375_c.png

7157416370_28be28b359_z.png

Now in "The Avengers", we see a new look for Mjolnir:
attachment.php

eFX-Thor-Hammer.jpg

2hda6oj.jpg

Btw, my apologies for over-sized images.

In your honest opinion, which Hammer do you prefer? I personally love the new look for its up-to-date look, and main attractions: the metal rings and handle tip cover. I am looking to get one of these hammers to show my love for this guy and want to hear other opinions.

The first hammer is sold by SideShow collectibles for $400.
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=901440#!prettyPhoto/1/
It looks very movie accurate, well, THOR movie accurate...
It is also the exact size as the actual prop used in the movie. It appears to have sold out through pre-orders, but I think I might have gotten one before it ran out by doing a flex-pay pre-order. Still says processing :confused
Though I am sure they will be everywhere on Ebay once it gets into the hands of the public.

The second hammer is a prop in the making by EFX Collectibles. It is still in development, though they have the GO from Marvel so we are expecting to see pre-ordering anytime now. Or at least a date for it...
Price is still unknown (Any more than $400 is crazy)
Bryan Ono, the President of eFx said it is made from Resin from the 2nd video link.
eFX Inc. - MARVEL Prop Replicas
Here are videos on the collectibles they are selling with the hammer in it:
Wonder Con 2012: eFx Collectibles - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Aflp891PGU

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually prefer the Avengers style better. I like the metal cap at the end the color of leather better. Sad thing though is that EFX is doing them. THey are growing to have bad rep with fans from what I hear. I think I'd rather buy one from someone from here rather than them at this point.

I like them both really...hopefully efx's won't break the bank. If it's in the same price range as MR, then I'll try to obtain one. I know MR's hammer is supposed to be made of stainless steel, anyone know what the efx one is made out of yet?

Avengers style all the way. I wish it had more of a "hand-wrapped" look to it though.

I like them both really...hopefully efx's won't break the bank. If it's in the same price range as MR, then I'll try to obtain one. I know MR's hammer is supposed to be made of stainless steel, anyone know what the efx one is made out of yet?

efx's is supposed to be made of fiberglass or resin.

I was distraught when the changes were revealed, but the Avengers' version has grown on me. It looks more "finished" and comic-booky than the Thor version.

Resin....so I wouldn't think it would be as expensive as the MR version...but you know how that goes. I prefer the Thor hammer...it's the original. Also, I think some scroll work around the new hammer end cap as it is on the hammer head would have looked nice.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone above for the info...yep, it shouldn't be priced higher than the MR version if it's resin...hopefully

Awesome insights! Hopefully EFX's price comes out to be way cheaper than MR's, but regardless their replica appears to be very accurate to the one used in The Avengers.

Resin? bummer... I let the first metal one slip my grasp and I was hopin to be able to buy the avengers version in metal. Seems that's not going to happen. I'm an old guy but I would like to be able to pick it up every now and then and being able to swing it a few times without being afraid of it braking by centrifuge force or falling to the floor and cracking...

Since I already have the Sideshow hammer on preorder, I'm hoping someone here makes an Avengers style handle to swap out, assuming the SS hammer head is threaded like the real movie hammers.

I like them equally but obviously with these movies, it's all about continuity. Mjolnir is the one thing that would never change. I think it was a BS move to change an ancient artifact....especially for a literal move, design-wise.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for the last payment on the MR hammer, i like both versions and will probably get both in the end

For those interested, MR's is up for pre-order again on sideshow, says that there's 30 or less left

At least the hammer head stayed the same! I too am a Continuity freak. Had the entire hammer been redesigned, I'd be pretty livid.

They probably did the change for marketing reasons for Thor and Avengers separately. A slight change in design would mean different licenses and more possibilities for the toys, replica props, etc. Thus, museum replicas and efx can make one but still are not the same.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back