1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

THUD!!!!!!

I saw static, but stick with the "before" version and fill the extra hole with an LED or something to retain the "busy" look we all love.

I've considered that. I thought about the switch activating a single LED. That might be worth looking into! I've GOT to fill those before I do anything or the switches will not fit/mount.

Great idea! What do you guys think? A single LED under/over each switch?

I'd go over the switch if you go the LED route.

usually flipping the switch up to light the indicator on.
I normally see the LEDs on the top of the switch. IMO.

Agreed!

What do you guys think? Add a single LED over the switch or stay true to original design?

Agreed!

What do you guys think? Add a single LED over the switch or stay true to original design?

Personally I'd stay as true as possible to original. But if you go the LED route light on top or to the right of the switch activating it.

Well, if there was in fact switches there on the original, then
removing every other row would throw off the look.

But adding LEDs into thier spaces fill the space back up and
now you have even more pretty lights to admire!

and we all know you can never have to many flashy lights.

Well, if there was in fact switches there on the original, then
removing every other row would throw off the look.

But adding LEDs into thier spaces fill the space back up and
now you have even more pretty lights to admire!

and we all know you can never have to many flashy lights.

This is true, the look is being altered either way but I think that no lights is truer to the original design.

It'll look awesome no matter what!

The switches were racked, packed and stacked in that one area - as with all the other panels. But I can't fit that many functional switches in that tiny space. I don't want to veer too far from the original design.

I'd to get an overall opinion from the masses before moving forward. :)

Another thought - the "paddle" from the switch, whether in the on or off postion, will also fill the space and the panel is the darker of the two greys.

I can't believe they had so many toggle switches grouped in such a
small area when the panel they are on is quite large. :wacko

Pics with the switches in. I think using functional switches IS the way to go...

20121120_215543.jpg

20121120_215555.jpg

20121120_215616.jpg

20121120_215635.jpg

20121120_215645.jpg

More to come!

SK,

before you go and buy a whole $#!+ load of those switches, there may be another consideration. There may be smaller bodied, less expensive toggle switches that will actually fit ALL the holes of the screen accurate panel…don’t worry that the levers don’t look the same—yet. Then send them to Canobi to cast handles directly onto the levers. In other words, make a mold for just the paddle lever, fill the mold with resin (not all the way), turn the actual smaller switch over so its lever is pointing downward, and immerse it’s lever into the mold so as to displace the resin just enough to cover the lever the appropriate amount. A test with some other liquid like water can be used to determine the exact level to fill the mold to. And it would be a good idea to pack a little electrical grease into the barrel around the switch’s lever at the base to prevent resin from accidentally getting into the moving parts.

Of course there will need to be some sort of jig to ensure repeatability of how each switch’s lever is aligned in the mold. That way, the switch handles will appear uniform if 2 or more contiguous switches are are flipped to the same position.

Hey, I know…no need to thank me, Canobi. I mean, after all, isn’t this what you live for? (ducks)

Mark

Last edited:

20121118_150655.jpg

I can't believe this is in your living room! :) Checking this thread is one of the highlights of my day.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back