Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    1 Week Ago  Apr 17, 2017, 12:47 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #8851

Hi SK

Looking good and major progress you've got going on. Have you thought about wrapping those cracking parts in a thin sheet of Alu, the type that a printing plate might be made of? Given I've noted you'd said you were a designer, you should be able to get your hands on some used printing plates???

R
    From
    The Void
    1 Week Ago  Apr 17, 2017, 4:27 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #8852

Hey Sofa,

On the cracking, you could maybe try giving the arms a complete skim coat of bondo. If you only sand it smooth and not quite down to the wood segments it should stay smooth and the cracks shouldn't reappear!

Roughneckone
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    1 Week Ago  Apr 18, 2017, 5:01 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #8853

joberg said: View Post
    Beauty parts there Izzy Mel...as for those Nav chairs Sofa; wow! Lots of work for those alright (details,details, details!!) Cracks in the arms will be there to stay I'm afraid...I don't have any tricks (apart from making them in one solid piece of plastic or metal) that will help you over time.
    Hey J,

Iz is doing an amazing job! I can't wait to see these pieces printed!

The cracks are frustrating but there is another detail that goes on those armrests and I think that might solve the problem with the cracking. We'll find out when we get there!

- - - Updated - - -

rubble said: View Post
    Hi SK

Looking good and major progress you've got going on. Have you thought about wrapping those cracking parts in a thin sheet of Alu, the type that a printing plate might be made of? Given I've noted you'd said you were a designer, you should be able to get your hands on some used printing plates???

R
    Hey R,

Thanks so much! I'm not sure about the alum. As I mentioned above there is added detail that I forgot about. I should be able to get the strength I need when those two pieces are added - per arm.

- - - Updated - - -

Roughneckone said: View Post
    Hey Sofa,

On the cracking, you could maybe try giving the arms a complete skim coat of bondo. If you only sand it smooth and not quite down to the wood segments it should stay smooth and the cracks shouldn't reappear!

Roughneckone
    Hey R,

I thought about a Bondo as well when I mentioned the fiberglass resin. I'm DEF going to use the Bondo when I add those two detail pieces. Fingers crossed that it works!
  4. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    1 Week Ago  Apr 18, 2017, 6:26 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #8854

Hi SK

Had'd realised there were additional part. Could you not put a tension bar through it like the back piece? Counter sink the front and then fill it over?
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    1 Week Ago  Apr 18, 2017, 9:23 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #8855

rubble said: View Post
    Hi SK

Had'd realised there were additional part. Could you not put a tension bar through it like the back piece? Counter sink the front and then fill it over?
    Hey R,

There are 2 1" half round rubber strips that run across the back of the part in question. If I put a mounting plate behind them it should keep the piece from flexing especially with the larger "Numbered" plate I just added.

I'll see how the plate works before adding anything else. I was hoping the threaded rod would take care of the tension but I found out very quickly that over tightening one side just a bit causes all the cracking.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    2 Days Ago  Apr 24, 2017, 7:37 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #8856

Hi Gang,

Dont you think its time for an update?

What a great week its been! I mean that with all sincerity! Lots of time with the CNC, a few set backs here and there, a few changes as well and then capped it off with a a visit from some great folks!

Finally painted one of the access panel doors

And installed

Still need to install the cabinet door struts - which are now primed

Got this guy all finished up

Laser cut these new pipe surrounds

Mounting brackets to help the pipe surrounds stay mounted to the frame

Look something like this

I laser cut this hole guide

Marked and drilled

Drilled these metal pieces and created a countersink

Just need to prime and paint

More pieces designed and laser cut

PRIMER!

These pieces fit on the inside and align the top piece and pipe

LOVE IT!

Mounted

EH... screws look too big

More Primer

Filler

After a few hours of sanding and filler... more sanding and filler

Changed the screws and painted black

More primer

Painted black

I laser cut this spacer piece

Counter sunk this area

Dry fit - now all the bolts and hinge areas dont hit the frame

Lousy pics!

I then designed this piece - based on several images I've received from J and S!

Dry fit

Paint!

Nice and solid!

Getting this guy ready to be molded!

Need to counter sink those screws a little more

Daniel and I spent a fair amount of time with the CNC over the weekend. We cut these new back support panel with the padding insert routed out!

Edges routed

Primer

Filler

Sanded and more primer

The screw I used a bit too big for the hole... UGH

All fixed

More touch-ups

I then spent a LOT of time with the nacelles. They gave me SO MUCH GRIEF!

More spot filler

This one is at a 90% solution

This one... Not so much!

Day 2 with the CNC! I decided to break away from the single thin post pedestal that was used in the OT so I designed a new box frame

And then 120 of these little guys!

So where did this weekend take us?

Now... the chair has a more solid footing

This top piece looks awesome!

Other side of the headrest mounted

Coming together!

Nacelle Temp in place. I think they're going to turn out!

Kinda sticks out but I think I can fix

These pics are just horrible!

I know the new seat pedestal looks odd but trust me! It's much more solid and is actually MUCH safer! This also avoids having to create and weld a plate and post.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!!!!

Last Thursday, fellow RPFer Fuzz's folks stopped by and spent the day in Huntsville before making their long drive back home to Texas after geeking out at Star Wars Celebration! They were not only kind enough to take a few things to Fuzz for me but they also brought along a few of their projects!

Minion

L3-FTY (made from "leftover" parts)

Can't remember this guys name!

These little guys are 2/3rd Scale R2 units - NOT full scale

Its a tight fit! And yes... they were zooming all around the workshop! It was so much fun!

The whole gang!

Is this the first time R2 has been in the cockpit?

We had a great time! Two of the nicest people I've ever met and they are welcome back anytime! OK... Fuzz can come too!

And this is where we are!

A HUGE thank you to Daniel for taking time out to help CNC and to Fuzz and his folks, D & C, for making the project much more fun! Hope you guys had fun!

Stay Tuned! Lots more to follow!
    Last edited by SofaKing01; 23 Hours Ago at 6:07 AM.
    From
    Lubbock, Tx
    2 Days Ago  Apr 24, 2017, 8:52 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #8857

Thank you Sofa for the opportunity to visit your amazing project, you and your team have done an out of this world job. As I said, any Star Wars fan would love to see this up close and personal. We will all be blessed when you get this out in the public eye, for all to see.

I posted a few pictures on Facebook on the R2 Builders page, and the fans went wild, Now at 121 likes, loves and comments of WOW!!! Amazing!!!.

Fuzzual and I will be back to help in any way we can
    Thanks
    Dan
    1 Day Ago  Apr 25, 2017, 11:15 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #8858

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where to begin? Nav Chairs: love it, getting there for sure (great new sturdy base it seems). The shot of the lit cockpit: priceless!!
    And the R2 unit are way cool!
    From
    Colorado
    1 Day Ago  Apr 25, 2017, 11:45 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #8859

Thank you so much my friend. I am so jealous that my folks and my droid got to see this in person. We really appreciate the amazing hospitality!!! Still the best build around!

B
    1 Day Ago  Apr 25, 2017, 6:30 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #8860

Great update!!! And with the lights on too!!!
    From
    Oslo, Norway
    1 Day Ago  Apr 26, 2017, 4:18 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #8861

Wow, just wow!
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    1 Day Ago  Apr 26, 2017, 5:25 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #8862

Junkyard Jedi said: View Post
    Thank you Sofa for the opportunity to visit your amazing project, you and your team have done an out of this world job. As I said, any Star Wars fan would love to see this up close and personal. We will all be blessed when you get this out in the public eye, for all to see.

I posted a few pictures on Facebook on the R2 Builders page, and the fans went wild, Now at 121 likes, loves and comments of WOW!!! Amazing!!!.

Fuzzual and I will be back to help in any way we can
    Thanks
    Dan
    Hi D,

Thank you so much! It was my pleasure. And thank you for the continued support and kind words. You and C were/are so much fun and I really look forward to the next visit. Also, thank you for helping with the project. Those extra set of eyes solved a lot of problems and helped make everything move forward.

Look forward to the next visit!
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    1 Day Ago  Apr 26, 2017, 5:34 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #8863

joberg said: View Post
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where to begin? Nav Chairs: love it, getting there for sure (great new sturdy base it seems). The shot of the lit cockpit: priceless!!
    And the R2 unit are way cool!
    Hi J,

Thanks! It's been so nice seeing all those panel lit up again! We found a few loose connections and changes that need to be done but seeing her lit after all this time is always fun.

I'm loving how the chairs how turning out. Still have 2 more to go and the new bases/pedestals will make a HUGE difference. I have a few things to add to the base, cross beams to bolt the actual chair in place and a MDF skin with a few simple greeblies here and there (that's going to be fun).

- - - Updated - - -

Fuzzual said: View Post
    Thank you so much my friend. I am so jealous that my folks and my droid got to see this in person. We really appreciate the amazing hospitality!!! Still the best build around!

B
    Hey B,

Again, it was my pleasure. We had an absolute blast! Have your mom tell you about lunch.

I'm looking forward to the whole clan coming to visit. That's going to be an insane geek out!

- - - Updated - - -

Wavey said: View Post
    Great update!!! And with the lights on too!!!
    Hey W,

Thank you so much! I thought Christmas should come a little early this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Friendly flyer said: View Post
    Wow, just wow!
    Thanks FF!

I'll take that all day long!
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    1 Day Ago  Apr 26, 2017, 5:44 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #8864

Hi Gang,

Just a quick morning update!

Got a package in the mail the other day... Izzy was kind enough to send me a few goodies! One full scale handle and some 1/4 scale pieces for the 1/4 scale cockpit I'm working on - I haven't seen that in a while!

There are two handles mounted to the canopy frame. Can't install these parts until then...

The first of many coats of primer

I made a slight error so I recut a hole template

These greeblies were slightly off center

Sanded and filled the old holes

Waiting for the paint to dry

Top one mounted... and then I found a few more errors so I had to wait for the filler to dry

A few close up pics of the new pedestals

I still have a few things to add - cross beams and a MDF skin

The CNC made this so easy!

A HUGE THANKS to Izzy for printing those parts!

Stay tuned for more, gang! Lots going on in the background...
    From
    Oslo, Norway
    23 Hours Ago  Apr 26, 2017, 6:19 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #8865

SofaKing01 said: View Post
    Hi Gang,

Just a quick morning update!

Got a package in the mail the other day... Izzy was kind enough to send me a few goodies! One full scale handle and some 1/4 scale pieces for the 1/4 scale cockpit I'm working on - I haven't seen that in a while!
    http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/y...psluqgvvmf.jpg
    I've been hanging around here too long, I actually recognise where a few of these bits go!
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    13 Hours Ago  Apr 26, 2017, 4:06 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #8866

Friendly flyer said: View Post
    I've been hanging around here too long, I actually recognise where a few of these bits go!
    LOL! Consider yourself hired!
    From
    Severn MD
    12 Hours Ago  Apr 26, 2017, 5:15 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #8867

Thank you Sofaking01 for the kind words. . I'm happy to be able to help out in any way I can. Let me know how the handle works out. Also looking forward to seeing some of the 1/4 scale stuff as well.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    39 Minutes Ago  Apr 27, 2017, 5:26 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #8868

Hey Iz,You never stop impressing!Im looking forward to when you knock everyone back, including me, with what you're working on now!