1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

There are 27 rocker style knobs on the instrument panel and 24 (various shaped slider knobs) on the vertical mounted panel - and more throughout the cockpit. They all appear to have a bulb or means of illumination or just a simple black dot.
I forgot who posted this, but he measured it from a cast off a screen-used Vader chest box. There are several guys who cast these in resin. X-wing pilot's chest boxes use have them also.

UPDATES! Hey Mark... I was already one step ahead of you. Check it out.

I decided to try my hand at building the Mitchell Matte Box. I dont have a lot of wood working experience and the dimensions might be off a little bit... but in all I think it turned out great!

I created a template, printed and then cut the pieces out and layed them all on to MDF
IMAG0691.jpg

To save time I then sprayed a little black paint over top to see where I'm supposed to cut... I know I know... it's not exact...
IMAG0692.jpg

I then cut out each shape and drilled the appropriate sized hole in each corner where I could then cut out the inside
IMAG0693.jpg

IMAG0694.jpg

I then routed both the inside and outside of the top piece
IMAG0695.jpg

Then followed the same steps for each additional piece but only routed the inside
IMAG0696.jpg

IMAG0697.jpg

IMAG0698.jpg

Once they were all glued together I applied rock textured paint and sprayed the inside and out (although the outside will eventually be covered). Once dried, I will lightly sand down the texture and paint with a flat black to give the appearance of the old bakaing method that was used...

Enjoy
IMAG0699.jpg

IMAG0700.jpg

IMAG0701.jpg

Add a few little chrome knobs and other bits and we have ourselves a monitor! I really wanted to put the box in place but the paint will take a while to dry... The nice thing about the textured paint is that covered up/filled in all the minor (major) imperfections. I know it's not perfect and as I mentioned I dont think the dimensions are correct, but at least now I know I can do it. And it really didnt take that long. If the measurements are if fact wrong I'll take the little guy and mount him to a little panel, add some lights and make a display out of it. :)

More to come

Last edited:

I forgot who posted this, but he measured it from a cast off a screen-used Vader chest box. There are several guys who cast these in resin. X-wing pilot's chest boxes use have them also.

Hey DL,

Thanks so much for the post! We'll compare these against the dimensions Stevestarkiller did for his 3D MF model. Let's hope they're the same or Stevestakiller will not only have a little mod'ing to do but he'll have to account for his apparant lack of motivation!

Last edited:

Hi Gang,

Is anybody making/replicating C3POs knee pistons? I know there's a 3PO builders club but thought I would ask around here first.

The knee pistons were also used as part of the throttle. They would essentially replace the existing knobs shown here.

ThottleQuad.jpg

Let me know if anybody has any information

Thanks

Its raining today so I cant work on any of the panels... GRRRR... I will go to the home improvement store and pick up another piece of formica so I will at least have that if it stops raining.

The monitor turned out nice... but, as i predicted, was a LITTLE too small. Dont ask me how, but I got the measurements wrong. So, I am going to recreate the monitor screen in just a few minutes.

Yup... Just a little too small
IMAG0702.jpg

Hope everybody is having a good weekend

Stay Tuned

Last edited:

Looking great, that formica looks nice and clean!

so, looks like my rockers are a bit too big. I measured them off a rebel chest box, (from a face-on photo with a ruler in frame) I hadn't checked if it was screen accurate, lunk head that I am. It was close to the vader chestbox measurements and proportioned pretty well, but mine was about 120% too big.

a lesson about taking measurements off photos with rulers in them...

anyway, here's a comparison

attachment.php

Wow! Going to be watching this thread! I have been analyzing and studying set design and construction methods so this up my alley these days! Looking killer so far!

Just wanted to pop in and say, AWESOME!!!! Looking really good so far. I know first hand what it is like to work with SteveStarkiller, his plans and details are top notch!!!

Great work so far SofaKing, I'm really looking forward to seeing you progress. This is going to be a great build!!!!!

Hey Fuzz,

Thats for the vote of confidence! I take any I can get! Starkiller is a really good guy and has been a tremendous help so far! How's your project coming along?

UPDATES!!!

I was able to pick up the LAST sheet of formica at the improvement store. It had several knicks on the edges so I got it for 70% off! I also picked some KILLZ primer for the practice Throttle Housing. And finally, created a larger monitor surround. Check out the results!

Followed the same process of cutting, routing and sanding as i did the previous version. Here they are side by side - slightly bigger this time
IMAG0703.jpg

I also routed the inner edges as well to prep for the cover
IMAG0704.jpg

The Throttle Housing with KILLZ primer and layer of flat black - it turned out perfect!
IMAG0705.jpg

Both pieces resting on the console
IMAG0707.jpg

IMAG0708.jpg

A few coats of "Rock" texture paint. After it dries I'll lightly sand and give it a coat of flat black paint then add a few little chrome pieces I have laying around
IMAG0710.jpg

It rained ALL day so I wasn't able to get to any formica. I should be getting the throttle quadrant this week. That will be an interesting process...

Stay Tuned!

Last edited:

Wow! Going to be watching this thread! I have been analyzing and studying set design and construction methods so this up my alley these days! Looking killer so far!

Thanks for the kind words... I have no real wood working experience so if there are any tips you can give ME, please let me know! I'm merely using common sense, a little know how and lots of luck!

Glad you're enjoying the build. It's been a lot of fun so far!

Hey Gang,

I checked the painted test formica peice this morning and it turned out really nice. I tried to scratch it with my finger nail and the paint held. The rain is supposed to end this morning so I'm hoping to get in a little formica action after work.

Are there any folks out there with formica cutting experience? I'm reaching a point where several panels have angles and edges on them I'm not sure how to cut because ALL routers work on a 90 degree angle.

If there are any experts out there please help!

Last edited:

Hi Missileman,

Thanks for the link! Good stuff. Never thought of checking YouTube. Now I know better!

OK Gang,

I want to ask all of you a favor... As you know this project will be donated to the full scale MF Chris Lee is working on. There are several parts on the console (and throughout the MF) we've been able to identify and others still remain a mystery.

One part in particular are those mysterious 2 inch dome panel mount lights that seem to be EVERYWHERE through out the SW universe. Does anybody have ANY idea what these are or where we can find a close copy? I've come close to finding a good 2 inch chrome bezel replacement but I still need to the dome light (in various lens colors).

Chome Bezel - Chrome Bezel - Twist On - 2in - 4 State Trucks

Also, if anybody has any ideas for mounting the various switches, lights, etc... As you know, we dont want this to be just a static display. We would like to have some interaction with as many knobs, lights, as possible. So PLEASE feel free to comment. :)

Hope to hear from ya!

Stay Tuned

Minor update: Applied a a few coats of flat black to the monitor surround...

IMAG0713.jpg

IMAG0712.jpg

It's stopped raining... so let's hope for a few hours to work

Updates... I think...

Its been a FRUSTRATING couple of hours... What could go wrong... did go wrong...

I skinned the front of the console and as I was walking past... I slipped and caught the corner and cracked the edge...
IMAG0714.jpg

IMAG0715.jpg

I cut off the edge and replaced with a new piece and then cut to fit...
IMAG0716.jpg

IMAG0717.jpg

I then picked the console up to move it and the bottom of the back panel formica popped loose... GRRRR
IMAG0718.jpg

I then realized that the base was 1 inch off so I had to add a small pieces to the edges
IMAG0719.jpg

And this is where we are... clamps holding the back formica in place... waiting for glue to dry on the base support and sitting at my computer extremely frustrated waiting for the day to end! LOL
IMAG0720.jpg

I knew I was going to have one of those days... it was just a matter of when. I was hoping to be MUCH further along with the build. But I should slow down especially now that I have to figure out how to mount the buttons, lights, rockers, etc... I think I already mentioned that...

If I never have to work with formica again... I wont be upset...

Stay Tuned... I think

Last edited:

UPDATES!

Taking things a bit slower after yesterdays fiasco...

Contact cement applied and edges taped for proper adhesion... I hope

Bottom front of console
IMAG0722.jpg

Support
IMAG0721.jpg

IMAG0723.jpg

More coming

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back