1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

I made a mold of a doorstop and cast a resin piece. Looks good! I was able to fill the little side gaps with clay in the process. I figure that would ultimately be cheaper than buying the metal pieces one by one.

Scott

I made a mold of a doorstop and cast a resin piece. Looks good! I was able to fill the little side gaps with clay in the process. I figure that would ultimately be cheaper than buying the metal pieces one by one.

Scott

Hi S,

Post some pics on this thread - would love to see it! :)

Hi S,

It's very simple. Your description is exactly how you pin stripe... However...

1) Draw a light pencil line.
2) Unroll the pin stripe to the desired length and cut at the roll.
3) Remove the backing material from the "opposite" side you cut - makes it easier to remove backing.
4) Place one end of the pin stripe down and gently press into position then gently pull so the stripe is straight (BUT DO NOT STRETCH) and lay it even with the pencil line.
5) Gently tap down on the stripe as you move across the line.
6) Once the stripe is laid into position, run your finger across the stripe adding more pressure with each pass until the the stripe is place.
7) Too much pressure will cause the stripe to fold onto itself

AGAIN - DO NOT STRETCH the stripe or it will pop back leaving a huge gap.

Make sense? :)

I've been devouring your eye-popping build and it is a huge inspiration for several projects of my own. Absolutely love your documentation.
Did I miss you telling us what brand/type of material you are using for the pin striping? Where would we find this stuff? Is it an automotive type of decal? Forgive me if you've posted that info already.
Keep up the good work! The black boxes are my favorite so far, for some reason.

Some quick updates before work...

Added a few more greeblies to the front panel
IMAG1151.jpg

Test fitting the newest greeblie
IMAG1152.jpg

I have 125+ radio/panel knobs on their way so I dont want to rush adhering any greeblies to the panels just yet - plus I have some wiring to do and dont want to knock anything off / loose...

UGH... Off to work...

I've been devouring your eye-popping build and it is a huge inspiration for several projects of my own. Absolutely love your documentation.
Did I miss you telling us what brand/type of material you are using for the pin striping? Where would we find this stuff? Is it an automotive type of decal? Forgive me if you've posted that info already.
Keep up the good work! The black boxes are my favorite so far, for some reason.

Hi Bondo,

Thanks for the kind words. If there is anything I can do to help out or if you have any questions please feel to ask. :)

The Pinstriping I use is just regular "Pinstripe" from most auto parts stores. I get mine from O'Reilly Auto but they are available through Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, etc...

The striping can be found either near the paints and body work aisle or in the accessories aisle. I've seen red, white. blue, black, silver, and chrome all in various widths and styles.

Here's a link of what I use:

Trimbrite T1110 - Vinyl Striping | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Once finished, I spray a thin clear coat over top to keep the pin strip in place. Whether a flat, satin or gloss finish, that's up to you.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

What do you think about using these glass domes for the buttons, instead of the reflectors? A little stained glass paint will color them up.

Amazon.com sells them for $1.89 a pair.

Amazon.com: Clear Glass Cabochon Round Dome Crystal Magnify 35mm (2): Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Hi S,

Great find! And very cheap! The reflectors are temporary while Canobi (RPF member) creates a dome lens that will perfectly fit in the existing door stopper. If you look through the last couple of pages of the thread you can see his excellent work so far!

And your suggestion to use the translucent paint is brilliant - that's exacltly what we had planned to do with Canobi's lens. :)

hmmmm... that's a tough one. And I made the models of your next projects too... hmmm.

My guess is that it's neither the one with lights and buttons, nor the one with a seat, but the other one?

gonna have to see more progress I guess. Get crackin!

hmmmm... that's a tough one. And I made the models of your next projects too... hmmm.

My guess is that it's neither the one with lights and buttons, nor the one with a seat, but the other one?

gonna have to see more progress I guess. Get crackin!

LOL! Yes sir!

He he he, I think I know....but I'll wait to see if I'm right ;)

Th' front panel is lookin' great brah keep up th' awesome job nice greblies too!!!! As for your next project I have no clue.:cool:cool

Another hint... if you do know... hold off until the unveiling of a main piece :)

IMAG1157.jpg

While I wait for a few pieces to arrive I thought I would change focus and start another MF related project. Believe it or not, I was beginning to burn out just a little bit from the console. Although i can see the light at the end of the tunnel... the idea of starting a brand new console is a little daunting... So, I decided to break up the projects. :)

Stay Tuned!

Last edited:

Th' front panel is lookin' great brah keep up th' awesome job nice greblies too!!!! As for your next project I have no clue.:cool:cool

Hi R,

Thanks! I tried to stay true to the original deisgn when adding greeblies. You can get carried away so I have to be very careful if I want to stay true.

I'll give you a hint about the next project... Hint: 4 x 2 or 2 x 4

Last edited:

A studio scale X-Wing!!!! Probably not but I can dream!!!! Lol!!!! I just have ta wait an see brah. Keep up th' awesome job.:lol:cool:D:cool

A full scale X-Wing... hmmmmm... That would be nice, huh? I wonder if there are any blueprints?

hah! oh man. I was staring at the penciled board you had posted earlier, going "what the heck piece is he measuring, I can't figure it out!" Now that you've cut it, I'm laughing at myself. Of course I was looking at the wrong area of the ---- -----. Man, I cannot wait to see more of that!

You really didnt know what part it was? I thought for sure you were kidding! :)

heh, I had a few guesses, but yeah I had no idea for sure. Definitely slapped my forehead on that one "ohhhhhh, duhhh!"
I wasn't even thinking about that part of the structure. Guess I was too focused on the main body.

Gang,

As with any replica build, I will NOT be able to replicate a 1:1 scale version of exactly what was on screen (whether 1:1 scale or the studio models) so I ask that you be forgiving when this next project gets under way. I will have most of the parts this weekend and it should go relatively quickly... The difficulty will be how every part is put together and mounted - there are very few parts - but it's the assembly...

As always, I will do my best to stay true and respect the original design(s) as possible. And as always... any input or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Stay Tuned! :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back