Subscribe
    Jun 2, 2012, 12:21 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #251

What an awesome project. If you have not gotten Volvo panels yet, I'll offer them up to you for the cause. I make them along with the other parts for the Han in Carbonite prop. Just let me know how many you need. Again, loving this build!
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Jun 2, 2012, 7:32 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #252

darthchromer said: View Post
    What an awesome project. If you have not gotten Volvo panels yet, I'll offer them up to you for the cause. I make them along with the other parts for the Han in Carbonite prop. Just let me know how many you need. Again, loving this build!

Hi D,

OH WOW!!! Thank you very much! That is VERY generous of you.

From what I can tell in the photographs, it appears there are 3 of them within the cockpit. 2 on Chewie's side and 1 on Han's side. Chris Lee and/or Steve Starkiller might know for certain. I'll send you a PM when I know for sure.

Thanks again for your generosity! She's slowly becoming a reality!

SK (greg)
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Jun 2, 2012, 7:37 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #253

Hey Gang,

After having just read Darth Chromer's post and wonderful generosity, I am flying high this morning!!!

The paint has not cured 100% on the panels yet but they look great! Once they finish drying I will begin the second phase... but I'll leave that as a surprise.

I do have another "box" to create. This one is half as tall as the back boxes and sits in the VERY front of the console. Again... one of those areas we hardly saw so I will take some artistic liberties with the design but will try very hard to remain true to the overall style.

You'll see in the pic below how the console appears to be a very light grey. Remember, the console / cockpit was heavily modified for ESB. So, the team agreed upon a type of "hybrid" console. Without knowing for sure what colors they used... knowing me... I'll never be 100% satisfied.

This is how she looks this morning

Stay Tuned!
    Last edited by SofaKing01; Jun 2, 2012 at 9:47 AM. Reason: edits
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Jun 2, 2012, 12:11 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #254

Building the front "box" to the console...

Looking to add the greeblies. I knew those old laptop pieces would fit somewhere

I need to find more random parts. The PVC is nice looking but I can't use too many of them. I'm off to the auto parts store to pick up some round "flashers". That should help fill in the gaps.
    Last edited by SofaKing01; Jun 2, 2012 at 5:38 PM. Reason: edits
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Jun 2, 2012, 12:16 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #255

I'm in kind of a holding pattern right now. I can continue working on the front box but I cant really do anything else until the paint dries on the console and a few more pieces arrive for the "back boxes" to include illuminated buttons and a hinge mechanism I'm going to try out.

I also need to find some medium sized paddle style toggle switches - 40 to be exact - for the center console (armrest). New, they run about 4-5 dollars a piece. And it's been tough finding anything on Ebay for that style let alone that many...

Does anybody have 40+ paddle style switches they would like to sell?
    Last edited by SofaKing01; Jun 2, 2012 at 1:01 PM. Reason: edits
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Jun 2, 2012, 3:20 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #256

Picked up a few more parts with the extra money I had by returning the Formica and few formica related cutting tools.

Parts:

Working greeblies on front panel box - the inside of the panel box will be black - similar to the back boxes

I wish those illuminated lights would get here! grrrrr

More to Come!
    Last edited by SofaKing01; Jun 2, 2012 at 5:34 PM. Reason: edits
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Jun 2, 2012, 5:33 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #257

I picked up that Blue LED nightlight for only 2 bucks - open box items are awesome! The screen isn't as big as I hoped. But I'll tear into it and see what I can up with. Although I do like the idea of the digital frame...

The front box has a 3rd coat of primer and then its back to sanding. I hope to have it painted tomorrow.
    From
    Surf City, USA
    Jun 2, 2012, 7:33 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #258

I suppose you could just put a couple of lights behind a piece of frosted Plexiglas...

Front box looks great!
  9. RPF Premium Member AmazonChitlin's Avatar
    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Jun 2, 2012, 9:41 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #259

When it comes to weathering I would look at heavily used machinery. Boeing used to use a grayish color for their cockpits back around the time Star Wars was released. Looking at some photos of cockpits from that time period, you can get a feel for what would typically be the dirtiest. Here is a great example:

Photos: Boeing 727-1A0 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

Note the nicked up edges, grime around the most used switches from their hands, mismatched panels that were replaced from different aircraft, etc.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Jun 2, 2012, 10:22 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #260

Well... Clearly... I was a little confused this morning... What do you see wrong with this picture compared to the original?

Last edited by SofaKing01; Jun 2, 2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: edits
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Jun 2, 2012, 10:40 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #261

AmazonChitlin said: View Post
    When it comes to weathering I would look at heavily used machinery. Boeing used to use a grayish color for their cockpits back around the time Star Wars was released. Looking at some photos of cockpits from that time period, you can get a feel for what would typically be the dirtiest. Here is a great example:

Photos: Boeing 727-1A0 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

Note the nicked up edges, grime around the most used switches from their hands, mismatched panels that were replaced from different aircraft, etc.
    Hi A,

What great photos! Thanks for the link. I'll definately use those for inspiration.
    From
    Surf City, USA
    Jun 2, 2012, 11:16 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #262

SofaKing01 said: View Post
    Well... Clearly... I was a little confused this morning... What do you see wrong with this picture compared to the original?
    It's too clean?

Other than the obvious, the margins on the left and right are too narrow.

The silver border around the insert looks almost--but not quite--like a chrome license plate frame.
    From
    Michigan
    Jun 3, 2012, 12:40 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #263

SofaKing01 said: View Post
    From what I can tell in the photographs, it appears there are 3 of them within the cockpit. 2 on Chewie's side and 1 on Han's side. Chris Lee and/or Steve Starkiller might know for certain. I'll send you a PM when I know for sure.
    There are 4 of the Volvo dash panels in the cockpit. Two on each side (same positions mirrored).
    You should check out the cockpit controls diagram on page 49 of the Haynes Millennium Falcon Owner's Workshop Manual
    From
    Austin, TX
    Jun 3, 2012, 1:23 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #264

Oh no! The panel is in upside down! Hopefully it's an easy fix. What kind of Volvo did those clusters come from? We have a great junk yard just a few miles away...
  15. sleepalot is offline sleepalot
    Jun 3, 2012, 5:30 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #265

I was just thinking today when watching Empire Strikes back. "What if someone made a replica cockpit of the Millennium Falcon?" Dreams do come true
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Jun 3, 2012, 7:12 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #266

"... I have a bad feeling about this..."

As you see in the pics... I've laid tape down and applied yet another layer of paint. BUT...

My decision to use formica might have been my undoing... If the primer/paint has not fully adhered to the formica and paint sticks to the tape when I remove it... I will have to start the entire console build over again. Which is both good and bad... BAD - I have to start over. GOOD - I'm in a holding pattern (waiting for parts) and it gives an opportunity to readress some of the issues that plagued the build from the beginning. I should be able to knock it out in one afternoon minus sanding and filling.

Let's keep out fingers crossed!

Last edited by SofaKing01; Jun 3, 2012 at 7:13 AM. Reason: edits
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Jun 3, 2012, 7:15 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #267

Engelnicht said: View Post
    Oh no! The panel is in upside down! Hopefully it's an easy fix. What kind of Volvo did those clusters come from? We have a great junk yard just a few miles away...
    BINGO! I cut the hole on the top portion of the panel... not the bottom...

There is no easy fix other than recutting, routing, sanding, filling, sanding, priming, sanding, sanding, sanding, etc...
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Jun 3, 2012, 7:16 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #268

MFP 2020 said: View Post
    It's too clean?

The silver border around the insert looks almost--but not quite--like a chrome license plate frame.

GRRR... I have to fabricate a new panel. UGH... not a good day...
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Jun 3, 2012, 7:24 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #269

SUCCESS!!! For now...

Frog Tape is AMAZING!

If I dont do it right, it will bother me... so I'm going to recreate the front panel.

I also need to start thinking about wiring...
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Jun 3, 2012, 7:55 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #270

MFP 2020 said: View Post
    It's too clean?

OK OK OK... rub it in! lol

I'm redoing the panel this morning. I have to wait a few hours before firing up the power tools. I try to be nice to my fellow neighbors. I wait for the first guy to power up his mower...

I was looking a little closer at the "silver border" and it remind me of a shallow aluminum serving tray/dish you would find in a make line.

I'll dig a little deeper.
    Last edited by SofaKing01; Jun 3, 2012 at 8:04 AM. Reason: edits
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Jun 3, 2012, 8:28 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #271

sleepalot said: View Post
    I was just thinking today when watching Empire Strikes back. "What if someone made a replica cockpit of the Millennium Falcon?" Dreams do come true

Hey Sleep,

It's been quite an experience so far... A nightmare at times... but overall very fun! Did you see this?

The Full Scale Millennium Falcon Project | Don't worry, she'll hold together…
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Jun 3, 2012, 11:09 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #272

I've spent an hour weathering the back boxes and greeblies. I can't attach anything just yet until the "laptop" hinge mechanism I purchased arrives and I figure out where the few LEDs are going.

Going back to my old modeling days... brings back some great memories!

I was hoping to have a rust color paint but no luck... but that's ok...

On to the new front panel!
    Last edited by SofaKing01; Jun 3, 2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: edits
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Jun 3, 2012, 1:55 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #273

Front panel is cut with a bevel edge

Created a new front box - there was one particular cut I just couldn't made so I'll decorate it with low profile greeblies (remember, the original ANH version changed considerably for ESB)

Sprayed a layer of satin clear

Base support painted

More to come!
    Last edited by SofaKing01; Jun 3, 2012 at 2:57 PM. Reason: edits
    From
    Austin, TX
    Jun 3, 2012, 2:27 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #274

Looks great! Speaking of junkyards again (because we all were, right? LOL.) It is very possible for me to get gauge clusters, interior lights, wiring harnesses, and various greeblies and remove them for really cheap, especially if they don't work. The yard is huge and has literally hundreds of cars, and, being a former mechanic, I can get to the parts fairly easily.

On another note, I think ABS units make awesome wall greeblies for Star Wars ships:

Let me know and I could make a trip out to the yard in a few weeks for parts!
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Jun 3, 2012, 3:31 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #275

New front box

Primered up waiting for sanding

Front panel with 2 coats of paint...