Ant-Man

That actually could end up being Marvel's downfall. Expectations will continue to rise as they release great films, until suddenly a merely "good" film is released and suddenly the bubble bursts. DC making this hard push to cash in on their success with their own movies seems to me like an awfully big step towards over-staturating the market. Heck, we already saw it a bit with Iron Man, the first one set the bar so high that many were disappointed with IM2 even though it was just as good as the second one. IM3 had the bad fortune of being the first film after the Avengers where the bar as nearly impossibly high, which may influence some of the criticism it received. With CA:WS and GotG having raised the bar and A:AoU likely nudging it higher Ant-Man's going to have some tough acts to follow.

At the time I didn't care so much about Edgar Wright leaving Ant-Man, but the more I think about it the more worried I am. The more I think about this new trailer, the more cautiously optimistic I am about it. With Guardians the trailers completely sold me on the film. This one feels a bit like Marvel on auto-pilot; not necessarily a bad thing but it's not got me excited either.

To be honest, while I liked the first Iron Man - I don't think it was 'all that.' I think they just managed to release the right movie at the right time and everything worked out amazingly well for them. IM2 was too much like the first one and I think IM3 is underrated... I liked the Mandarin twist (even if I didn't like Extremis or 18 billion different Iron Man suits a whole lot).

I will agree wholeheartedly about Edgar Wright - I think his departure from this movie after being a part of it for so long should raise some eyebrows and I wonder if we'll ever get the entire story about his leaving.

Your last sentence sums up everything I've been trying to say. I'm cautiously optimistic and I'm sure it'll rake in the cash.

Last edited:
Even if it ends up being mediocre (or even awful) it's not going to be Marvel's downfall ... not by a long shot.
MCU is already far more resilient than any single bad film. IM 2 didn't stop Marvel.

I personally feel (and I've been wrong before) this might just be a ho-hum film.

I actually really loved the trailer. Hopeful and optimistic on this one. I really want someone to make the Pym Technologies logo on a shirt. I'd love to wear that to the film's opening.

Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 7.25.43 PM.png

Just because it makes boat loads of cash it won't factor in whether it's good or not. I'm still not too interested in this one.

And I think after watching Paul Rudd get roasted by the Triumph dog, I may be a bit biased.

I asked a friend of mine of mine what he thought of Ant Man, and he assumed it was spoof, like Condorman. The marketing team have thier work cut out for them.....

First press screening for Ant-Man in LA is about to get over in sometime now and Marvel has not imposed any social embargo. Expect Twitter reactions tonight after 10:30 pm PST. Some reviews may also pop up from tomorrow, though I think reviews might be embargoed for another week or two.

Germain worked at Slashflim until recently.

GermainLussier: Ant-Man is more methodical than most Marvel movies but it’s hilarious & a totally great ride. So many fun MCU links too. Another winner.

GermainLussier: Two Ant-Man credits scenes, each better than the last.

Jeremy Smith aka mrbeaks works at AICN

mrbeaks: It takes ANT-MAN a moment to get cranked up, but once it does, it’s sensational. My favorite third-act of any Marvel movie.

Steven at Collider

colliderfrosty: ANT-MAN is good. Not a disaster like some expected but also not a homerun. Has a *must see* after the end credits scene.

colliderfrosty: The one thing I am sure of after OBSERVE AND REPORT and ANT-MAN is @ realmichaelpena needs to do a lot more comedies.

DrewAtHitFix: "Ant-Man" is hugely entertaining, and a truly significant puzzle piece in the Marvel Universe. This one's got a big sweet heart.

ErikDavis: So I saw ANT-MAN & I dug it! Most inventive action scenes yet & tons of heart. A softer, more intimate #Marvel movie and a great family film

ErikDavis: Also re: ANT-MAN: There are two end-credits scenes, so stay till the very end kids

Last edited:
Obviously from someone who's biased but James Gunn loved the film.
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/30/james-gunn-ant-man-review

Ant-Man may just be my favorite Marvel film since Jon Favreau's Iron Man (well, maybe excluding one film to which I'm partial). Honestly, the movie is a complete blast! I was so happy after seeing it. It's never boring for a second and it's hilarious and warm throughout. It doesn't get caught up in the webbing of its own science-fiction concept like so many movies do these days, remaining simple and elegant. It's a part of the Marvel universe without being ruled by that fact. Paul Rudd is nuanced and charming and funny and is a surprisingly natural fit as a modern superhero (side-fact - Paul must be a nice guy, because he and I dated the same girl in college, and yet I still love him).Michael Peña KILLS IT - this movie is going to make him a huge star. My old pal Judy Greer (she was Deadly Girl to my Minute Man in The Specials (film) many moons ago) is great in a small role. And Michael Douglas is awesome. I think all of Peyton Reed's years directing have led him to making something as deft and nimble and joyous as this; he did an incredible job. And, despite Edgar Wright's parting from Marvel, his spirit is felt through the entire project, and there is no doubt everyone owes him a huge debt of gratitude. I left the theater incredibly happy. So often I see movies by people I love which are just okay - it's great to love a movie as much as I love the people who made it.

This is a photo of me and David Dastmalchian at the premiere after-party last night - David plays a Russian hacker in the movie and nearly every single line out of his mouth gets a laugh. He's getting on a plane this morning to fly back to Colombia to resume filming his other movie - my movie, The Belko Experiment.

Congrats to the the whole Ant-Man team. Amazing work, guys! And, for the 99.99% of the people reading this who aren't part of the Ant-Man team, go check it out when it hits theaters (in a lot of places) July 17.

Have a great Tuesday.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back