Space Command Clipper Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the fuselage of the clipper it's sexy and the intake and the wings,
but the canopy design and that top stabilizer, i don't think they compliment
the sleekness of the main hull. That's just my opinion I am glad you finished it!:thumbsup

Steve, I love the work you're doing and it's been fun to watch you make the model. But I have a doubt about the design: if this thing has an interior that's laid out like a jetliner (that is, with the floor running the length of the ship) why does it take off on its tail like a rocket or von Braun's moonship? It seems to me that this perches every occupant and instrument over a drop that could be up to 300 feet when this thing takes off.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the Clipper's decks parallel with the ground when it takes off? Does the ship have an artificial gravity field that's powerful enough to make the jetliner deck work for crew and passengers even when the ship is in launch configuration?

I agree with trekriffic who suggested a launch ramp reminiscent of When Worlds Collide. That, at least, makes it easy to load and board the ship prior to launch (although everything that isn't bolted down still has to be secured from the forces of inertia when the engines kick in).

There's a decent entry about this subject over at the magnificent Atomic Rockets site. I'm sure you guys on the Space Command team must be familiar with Atomic Rockets, it's been one of the jewels of the Web for at least a decade; I just include a link here to spread the word to anyone who may have missed it.

Guys not to be blunt but "I'm only a Model maker not a designer."

Go to www.facebook.com/spacecomandmovie and tell them. I just make what they put in front of me. ;)

steve

:lol

Fair enough, Steve. Unfortunately, I don't do Facebook, so I'll have to pass on that opportunity. By the way, the link should be Space Command | Facebook if anyone else tries to go there.

And guys, Plan 9 From Outer Space and Lost in Space didn't make much sense, either. At least the latter benefited from Jonathan Harris and a cool robot.

Huge Yeager fan myself! However he never crossed the Alps, he crossed the Pyrenees. ;)

(Sorry Steve, I'm a history NUT and had to say it. The fact that you were able to on a whim give such a factual speech means you do know your stuff!)

Your work is inspirational and gets me in the mood to get back to my builds with every video. You crank them out so quick and I'm still on your TOS Enterprise. :$

You know I meant that but Alps came out. Shoot. Well i have all his books and read everything I could get my hands one. His hands felt like 60 grit sandpaper when I shook his hand!

thanks for the kind words gentlemen!

steve

That canopy is looking great. Can't wait to see the weathering.

Love the restoration and donating the com badge is great Karma.

Mike

Hey Steve!

I know that this build is to be used in the production of the episodes/movies, but can you say if you will be making the replicas that will be given to the 1000 dollar donors?

waiting for that logo,
Lou

Last edited:
I remember in my youth watching Star Trek, and how long it took to learn all of the thingies that were on the Enterprise (blinking lights here, shuttle bay doors there, the boxy-shaped things under the engine domes, etc.).
It's going to be weird to already be so familiar with the look of this clipper ship right from the get-go!

Steve, I love the Chuck Yeager story, I had a similar experience, I was living in Maryland back in 1984 and on a day off I was in the Air&Space Museum. I was in the museum shop and standing right in front of me all alone was John Glen. I figued I would never get a chance like this again so I spoke to him, he was very cool, we spoke for about ten minutes. Real Heros are hard to find but but when you meet one you know it. The ship is looking great, are you going to cut vinyls for the strips or are you going to mask it off free hand?

Well that sucks...

Edit: After reading that thread, I don't know all the behind the scenes stuff, I'm not in a position to say who was right or wrong, but in general the public slamming of another member should be reserved for AFTER the PM route has been exhausted. That goes for all members whether they're high profile or not.

Now if that was the case then I apologize but it doesn't sound like it.

Last edited:
I hope Steve isn't gone permanently just because someone was bad mouthing him. He was actually one of the reasons why I went ahead and took the leap from just taking a look at the the rpf from time to time and actually joining. I have been watching him ever since he made the big E video's. His video's have actually inspired me to get off my hands and quit being afraid of every lil F up on my model that it can all be fixed and start to get down to the actual builds which I was hoping to start posting up here eventually. If he is gone it is a sad day for the Rpf to lose such an individual with such a wealth of knowledge and actually willing to share his tid bits of wisdom.

This sort of thing has happened a lot on this board over the years.
The really good guys get pushed out by the jerks. This community isn't large enough to replace the loss(not easily).

There are reasons some of us are not comfortable posting our stuff here.
This is an example of one of them.

I will miss his video posts here if he really has left. I don't go on Facebook and I have learned so much following his builds; watching a man who truly enjoys what he's doing is so enjoyable. And the way he dotes on Rosie the Wonder Dog always makes me smile.

A dark day indeed if he's truly gone...

requiemformethuselah_467.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back