"Recasting" annoyances, swiping projects.

hydin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have gotten a few emails from various companies I have been working with on getting my superman crystal made.

This project has been in the works since about ... oh, 5 mins after they first showed up on the screen of the movie.

After much help, work, and staring at screencaps till my eyes bled, we got a design settled, and thanks to the help of a fellow board member, got the 3d cad file done to get this fixed up and ready to roll out.

All in all, about 400$ worth of my money, and about 5 months of work to get to this point.

In other words, myself and quite a few others put much much work into this particular endeavor to get it fixed up and ready to be sold to the board at a TERRIFIC price. A group effort that I helped spearhead, and frankly it kicked ass and took names.

Now, my annoyance. I have been contacted by a few companies who turned down or couldn't work on my crystal due to various factors (minimum order needed, too complicated, etc) that a few people have been emailing them MY PHOTOS of MY prototype, and the render that JSA did (for free I might add) in an effort to "recast" my work with MY measurements.

This pisses me off. If you want to make your OWN version of the crystal, go for it. A few others on the board are doing the very thing. When you swipe someone elses work though, and photos, and try to get MY version made with MY photos and MY information, you suck. A few people have gotten the information and screencaps I have made given to them with arrangements made, and I have no problem with those people. The ones that try and grab my info and use my photos and my information in order to try and get the same prop made.... that aint right.

The only email and name I recognized in this cluster@#$%. of people trying to bogart my project was dstines (former member of the rpf, now banned due to bad business practices). The other emails and names I didn't recognize at all. This was one of the reasons I am glad I started dropping a watermark into my photos.

I bring this up since my run is closed for the time being, that if you see these offered up and notice the pics look a LOT alike, the person offering them swiped not only my work but the work and help of a lot of others on this board in an attempt to make a buck. That sucks. I know I can't tell you what to do with your money, but don't support the recasters and eventually they will go away. At least I hope they can.

Again, I have helped a few people out when they ASKED me for the information, and ASKED me if it was cool if they use it, and ASKED if I minded them working on the same kind of project. I told each and everyone who contacted me about this the same thing. "yes, make your version, i will send you the screencaps and all my info i have in exchange for a good price on one of your replicas". The ones I have a problem with are the ones that didn't ask me a damned thing (and its not like the email address is hard to find.) and just decided to use my info to try and get thier own project rolling.

If someone thinks they see a recast of my crystal (either the pattern or the actual crystal being recast), PLEASE let me and the board know about it. Again, I know I can't tell you where to spend your money, but at least I am not hiding in the bushes stealing someone elses work.

Any questions, please email me or ask me, and I will be glad to help out. Don't recast someone, it's a nasty habit that will come back to bite you in the ass.

Chris

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back