can i put body filler on a foam helmet and use it to make a silicone mold ?

firebapx

hey guys iv been making foam iron man helmets for a while now im getting quite good at them but my problem is i can always see the glue lines and stuff on the outside. i was wondering if i could use car body filler on the outside of one and sand it down like the pepekura helmets then use it to make a silicone mould and get some casts going. id really like to make the move from foam helmets to plastic ones. i sell the foam ones and i have a few regular customers who would love plastic ones aswell ?

im not too sure, never made a foam helmet. I think you would have to seal it some how.... PVA glue or some other form of sealant

Edit: Just found this http://www.therpf.com/f24/xrobots-iron-man-mk6-updated-leg-moulds-99456/ this might help you

oh so i can use body filler nice. i know everything there is to know about foam helmets sealing and all that never attempted a plastic one before so im excited about it. do you think i could use air drying clay instead of car body filler or would that be going completely the rong way ?

I know of a method where you use hard foam to fill the helmet and make it rigid, then use some clay to clean it up slightly. Then you make a waste mold out of algenate and plaster bandages, then pour a stone casting from that to clean up for vacuforming. I imagine if you try this, but maybe pour a resin casting instead and clean it up, then you can use that to make a silicone master for fiberglassing and such.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I know of a method where you use hard foam to fill the helmet and make it rigid, then use some clay to clean it up slightly. Then you make a waste mold out of algenate and plaster bandages, then pour a stone casting from that to clean up for vacuforming. I imagine if you try this, but maybe pour a resin casting instead and clean it up, then you can use that to make a silicone master for fiberglassing and such.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

id rather put the time into making the foam helmet usable for the silicone mould i dont want to add more steps than nessary if i really have to ill make a silicone mould out of the first helmet i pull out after its been cleaned up

Here's my latest/better method for sealing foam props - with PVA and then a plastic coating, so you can use body filler etc:

http://www.therpf.com/f24/how-plastic-coat-foam-costume-pieces-146539/

a comment form XRobots no kidding i actually feel kinda privileged your the dude that inspired me to start building suites :). iv seen your new method it looks really good im waiting for my resin to arrive from ebay so i can try a shoulder pod (something i can remake easily if i **** it up). would you recommend body filler before or after your plastic step particularly if i want to make a mould form a helmet. i have a helmet here thats fully sealed so should i just body fill over it and sand it ?

You'll probably find that the plastic fills in any gaps anyway, plus it's easier to apply the filler to rigid plastic than foam with PVA on.

You'll probably find that the plastic fills in any gaps anyway, plus it's easier to apply the filler to rigid plastic than foam with PVA on.

so resin the outside then filler then make a silicone mould ?

guess it would be stupid to make a mad ass run at it with air drying clay and just see what happens im just bored as hell today and really want something iron man armour related to do lol

Yes I'd imagine that would be best, but the plastic coating you see is all I've tried so far, so you may wish to experiment.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back