The Definitive Hawkeye "Avengers" Costume Thread

O K, one last thing. According to the Vibram site, the sole is called #1375 Bifida and it's available on Carolina and Danner boot's. I just looked at everything on Carolina and Danner site's and didn't see anything.

Maybe you guys will have better luck.

Fantastic close-ups!

A couple things that it looks like to me; the smaller underarm buckles look to be just smaller versions of the belt buckle, not the "V" types. The knees look to be the same as the nylon as the pants panels.

The boots, I'm still not convinced they're not the Highlanders; every other boot with the Vibram Bifida sole is not even close. Just an observation but the rings after the 6th eyelet look to match those on the finger tab. Not saying it's the rings that were removed and re-used but not entirely out of possibilities. :confused

Vibram sells 20 million soles a year. So there must be the same sole on many boots. Once you start looking for boots you realize how many there are being sold.

Yeah, I went through 20 pages of Google links for 'vibram bifida' and didn't find the right boots yet. The soles are available separately as a repair piece, so it's conceivable they built the boots from scratch (though I really hope not!).

Vibram sells 20 million soles a year. So there must be the same sole on many boots. Once you start looking for boots you realize how many there are being sold.

Agreed, and after several weeks of following every lead for the correct sole with the approximation of the same boot I was inclined to believe they were completely fabricated from scratch or I was just "missing" something, but also taking into consideration the amount of other used of the shelf items it doesn't seem sensible (at least to me) that they would have started from scratch. But honestly at this point with knowing that they're discontinued and a true pain to get ordered if you can find them, it would probably just be a better scenario to order the sole and have some custom made or use a boot "base" and go from there. The pair I ordered should be in soon, I'll post pics and ideas on how to go about the gaiters for those interested.

You guys beat me to it.

I was thinking about this last night and I think we're chasing a ghost here.

I'm sure they used some base boot. But then all the custom work was done. Then a new sole was put on. The reason I think this is true, is because after all the extra leather was added to the surface of the base boot, it still tucks into the sole. If it was added to the surface of the boot with the sole already attached, there would be an edge where the leather meets the sole.

So to replicate these boots, here's what I'm thinking.
*Find a base boot that matches what we can see, mainly the eyelets.
*Have the sole removed.
*Add all the custom leather work.
*Have the correct sole attached.

The other option is to add the custom leather work to a boot that looks right and forget about the sole.

You guys beat me to it.

I was thinking about this last night and I think we're chasing a ghost here.

I'm sure they used some base boot. But then all the custom work was done. Then a new sole was put on. The reason I think this is true, is because after all the extra leather was added to the surface of the base boot, it still tucks into the sole. If it was added to the surface of the boot with the sole already attached, there would be an edge where the leather meets the sole.

So to replicate these boots, here's what I'm thinking.
*Find a base boot that matches what we can see, mainly the eyelets.
*Have the sole removed.
*Add all the custom leather work.
*Have the correct sole attached.

The other option is to add the custom leather work to a boot that looks right and forget about the sole.

I think that option B would be the cheapest and easiest to do, besides, who's really going to be paying all that much attention to the soles of your boots? No one is going to go up to you and say, "Nice Hawkeye, except for the soles on your boots". People are going to see the whole get up and see Hawkeye and I bet that even people here won't notice the soles aren't correct unless they look at a picture of your costume at home and compare to pics of the real deal.

tumblr_m3omwmGLrp1qzzo43o12_1280.jpg

Probably a moot pic, now that there are those really high res shots of the outfit.

I've been kicking around and idea for the bow.

I was thinking about buying the bow and recasting the riser (handle section). Then the bow ends could be made from styrene so they'd be more flexible and not put too much tension on the cast riser. For the string we could use elastic string.

This way we'd have a bow that would have the realistic look but without the pull weight of a real bow. I would cost a lot less too!

Would anyone be interested in this? If so, should we go left handed (like Jeremy in the movie) or right handed?

I'd be interested, depending on cost.

As to Left or Right, although most people would probably be Right handed (I'm Right handed myself), I'd go with the Movie Accurate Left....

I'd be interested, depending on cost.

As to Left or Right, although most people would probably be Right handed (I'm Right handed myself), I'd go with the Movie Accurate Left....

Same here, I'd be in for a lefty bow.

On the photos...must be an iPad thing. The photos are right on my laptop. Sorry, gang.

Looking at the boot, the legging leather looks slightly different in texture and color. If it was custom it would all be the same.

definitive-hawkeye-avengers-costume-thread-hawkeyesboot.jpg-93854d1336529704

It seems that props departments prefer to start with real shoes, for actor comfort and replacability. So the right boot is out there somewhere.
One problem is the right one is probably a few years old and discontinued.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back