studio scale 66" Enterprise:

Re: ds9 studio scale Enterprise: My 66" big E from Steve Neill. the last of the mohi

speedydad---im sure there using a much higher grade meterial then the ws 105 epoxy :)

Re: ds9 studio scale Enterprise: My 66" big E from Steve Neill. the last of the mohi

Trooper,

I've read thru this thread and perhaps I've missed something. Are you truly happy with this kit or not?...and if not then have you actually talked to Steve about it? I get the impression that with all the bad mouthing Oneeye seems to be making about the kit and Steve that you have never bothered to contact Steve and talk to him about the issues your having if the kit is truly as bad as you seem to make it sound and/or have even given him a chance to fix it if it is that bad. Now again I might have missed something in the thread but thats the impression I get reading thru it. I've seen Steves models in person and neither see him as a hack or someone that does bad work or a person that would cheat anyone. So again I ask you....have you even actually talked to him about this?

yes i have contacted steve a while back when i first noticed it warping. im dealing with what i have! im not new to garage kits, i know whats involved. yes i think it's crap, and i will never shell out that kind of dough again with out seeing first hand! the responses from you guys is exactly why i will not come out say anything. your making me out to be the bad guy and ive done nothing wrong. so just drop it! and get MY thread back on track please :)

Trooper,

Myself and I'm sure everyone else here does not think your a bad guy nor is attacking you or Oneeye.....my question was just that...a simple question with no mallous intended. I just felt if someone is unhappy with something they received from someone here they should be the one complaining about it. If your complaint is "valid" then it should be fixed which is up to you and the person who sold it to you regardless of whom they are. If your apparently willing to settle for what you have then thats your business and its a closed issue. I do hope your model turns out great as it looks like it will from the pics you have posted.

thank you. some one GAVE me that a while back :) hehehehe

Hey Trooper,

great video. You did something I thought was impossible: you made working with bondo look fascinating. However, that wet sanding really did the trick and the saucer now looks amazing. Impressive work.

I'm looking forward to seeing your work on the cast detail parts. They look rough, warped and uneven. I think your solution of making a perfect one and then casting duplicates is the way to go. It will also save a lot of time.

The personal story was interesting. I could see how that event would inspire your work ethic of, "good enough is not good enough". I would feel the same way, too.

I hope you also do a thread on that "Stargazer" kit. I have never been a fan of vacuum form kits, and I would like to see how you handle a support structure for the engine pods.

Great thread,
Barry.

Barry, man, you just made my night, thank you for the kind words :D

i will be doing a stargazer build, but i need to get some stuff first. i also need to sit down and look for reference pics which i have not done yet.

Trooper-
I think you handled the whole problem with class!!
I also think that your views reflect a lot of peoples
in that many of us are what is referred to as anal
about our models.
I for one hope you continue to provide videos that show how
its REALLY done.And thats not to say that Steves work isnt GREAT!
But most people have to remember that he is used to working on
deadlines.
So now we have the best of both worlds-original and spicy:thumbsup

Trooper-
I think you handled the whole problem with class!!
I also think that your views reflect a lot of peoples
in that many of us are what is referred to as anal
about our models.
I for one hope you continue to provide videos that show how
its REALLY done.And thats not to say that Steves work isn't GREAT!
But most people have to remember that he is used to working on
deadlines.
So now we have the best of both worlds-original and spicy:thumbsup

:lol spicy it is then :D but can i get some buttermilk biscuits with that :)

i like doing the videos, it's entertaining for me, and i like that others are entertained by them as well....i will defiantly keep doing them.

thank you :D
jerry

i do want to make my own kit, but not until i can get my hands on the gary kerr files or some thing more accurate if there is such a thing. my understanding is gary's files are the best, i wont settle for less :)

From what I understand those Kerr files are unavailable to the public. The best reference, I would think, would be photographs of the original. There are a few studio pictures on the set when they were filming. How accurate are you wanting it to be. For example, the bussards evidently had mirror shards attached. Most people just diffuse the bussards, but it seems to have been painted an amber color, which I'm considering doing.

Apparently when the Smithsonian received the model it was lacking certain parts and had to be manufactured.

BTW I wasn't trying to be obstinant. I just tend to give someone the benefit of the doubt, moreso than typical. It's easy for a person's intentions to be misconstrued.

No, the Kerr files are not available to the general public.
The only plans publicly available are eyeball close, but are not perfect.
That's one of the things that really can't be easily derived from looking at photographs. The E has some areas that you need to take off of the model itself.

Don't worry the plans will be available soon, just use the layouts that will be in the instructions with the 350 kit.

When the SS E was delivered to the Smithsonian it was mostly intact.
It wasn't until the restoration that the model was modified from it's original state. Most of it didn't make any sense. There is a thread on the subject.

I don't get people saying Trooper was ripped off, Steve was totally honest about the state of the parts and the molds. Trooper knew what he was getting into, I've got garage kits that nobody was honest about the state of the parts. It looks great until you try putting it together.

Be proud Trooper, not very many people will tackle such a project such as this.

For what it's worth, I'm happy with my kit. No garage kit is perfect but I find mine damned good and don't mind the work it takes to make it "better".

Thread has been reopened, but we ask that everyone please keep their comments focused on the build, thanks.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back