Am I the only one that hates superhero movies (rant)?

the_more_you_know.jpg

groone is right, wait no, his avatar's a TROLL!!

Re: Am I the only one that hates superheroes (rant)?

Drive was totally awesome...but alot of people hated that 80's vibe...

So you liked Flash Gordon? And Condor Man? That was totally original.:confused

Totally OT, but.....

The first prop I ever owned was one of those big 'ole Hawkman cannons. My dad did some work at the studio when they were making FG. He 'acquired' the prop while on set.

It was big and heavy and made of wood and plaster. It ended up at the end of the garden. First time I came back after leaving home, it had mysteriously disappeared. True story :facepalm

Never been a big fan of the genre but certainly don't hate it. I liked Dark Knight and the original Superman & 60's & 89 Batman.

I haven't seen most of the recent offerings. Last one I saw was the first Iron Man I think.

rant

   [rant] Show IPA
verb (used without object) 1. to speak or declaim extravagantly or violently; talk in a wild or vehement way; rave: The demagogue ranted for hours.

Well at least I was right about the maybe long winded part. I'll take what I can get.

I'm all for Superhero Movies. It's when the story is incoherent or just plain lazy that I get upset. The over saturation of these films may be to blame. Or the writers, directors, etc.

I actually believe that most of the Superhero movies on the market are special effects extravaganzas that lose the original intent of the character and plot of the comic book series that they are based on. The X-Men movie was all about super villain plots, pretty powers, and lost much of what the original X-Men comic series was based on. These movies are meant to recreate one or more arcs of a comic book series. Things are made flashy because they can be made that way, even though the powers of the characters were never really the central plot in these comics.

The closest thing I have seen recently to the “golden age” of comics in the theaters was the movie Hancock. It was a super hero movie that was focused not on the powers or exploits of the main character, but on his flaws and personality. There was no super villain, there were no uses of power just because it was flashy, it was basically the opposite of the typical super hero movie.

this board is a costuming board

It's a what? :lol

'cos I post A LOT. Though not as much as Nwerke.

Heyyyyy! :lol OK, that's factual. But why not pick on, say, Wes R? Pretty sure he outranks me. :lol

FWIW, I'm with you on this one, kinda. I don't hate most of the movies, can take them or leave them but agree the torrent of them seems OTT. The Fantastic Four films and the last X-men ones suck horribly.

I want to see Avengers and I'll force myself to watch Captain America in order to get more background first.

I can't stand most of the comics.There, I said it. :lol

The last superhero movie I actually liked was Unbreakable, and that's because I could connect more with Bruce Willis' David Dunn than I could, say Tony Stark or Bruce Banner or any of the members of the Avengers. Don't get me wrong, I also thought Ironman was okay. But Unbreakable was just more awesome to me than any Marvel or DC comic adaptation.

Yep.

I hate superhero movies that try to get all serious.

They are comics. Don't try to make them Shakespeare.

Superhero movies should be over the top, with wildly imaginative characters, ideas, and scenes.

Relax Birdie. It's a trend, as science fiction was, as Rosmary 's Baby/ The Omen/Exorcist was, as Western's were. The market and the quality of the product will determine how long this lasts.

Of course, these are troubling chaotic times and people enjoy seeing heroes. Why else the slobbering love affair with celebrities in this country? Used to be Charles Lindburgh was a hero, Audi Murphy was a hero, JFK was a hero, MLK was a hero, MLK and John Glen were heroes.

Now we worship the Kardassians and elect Presidents who play Saxaphones or sing on Late Night TV.

Right now people feel a need to be inspired. Is it so bad that a large number of them are inspired by superheroes? If you don't like the stories out there, right a better one and get it made.

Jet Beetle did.

I too don't care for superhero movies. I don't watch them and don't collect props or toys from them. I mostly collect props from my childhood favorite movies and that is all. I don't collect comics and never go to comic con.... It's just not me. So the OP is not alone in the lack of interest in the comic film genre.

Many have stated it in this thread... "to each his own".
If you are not into them, just don't watch them. That is what I do... And those that love them, they can enjoy watching all the want.

The majority of the people who are going to see these movies are people my age who grew up with the comics, but also grew up with the cartoons of the 80's and 90's like Xmen, Spiderman, Iron Man, etc. People want to see the cartoons and comics they liked translated to film.

I love comic books and have watched every single super hero/comic film that's come out in the last decade or so (except Catwoman, I'd rather punch myself in the nuts then watch it)

If you're not into comic/superhero movies, I don't care. I don't like teen comedies.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back