Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Master Sword build

crafting foam would need slots cut in the bottom for weights ,
Do able but possibley more hassle than concrete which already has the correct finish ^^

A note on accuracy: the Master Sword has actually been the purple-blue since Ocarina. It has never been royal blue. The discrepancy occurred because of the graphic limitations of the N64. The correct color is the color in the logo and artwork. The sheath and shield match, but the sword should not. Additionally, the wrappings on the TP hilt are exactly the same as the wrappings on the SS hilt. Both have green strips crossed down the handle. The TP strips are a bit darker green, but that's the only difference.
Personally, I like what you've done. I'm tired of blue Master Swords and crappy, inaccurate proportions. It would be nice if the blade was more accurate, but I don't think an accurate steel blade will ever exist. $125 is a pretty good price, too. Kudos.

Fantastic job! I have this same sword (default colors) and have been hanging on to it for the day that I could somehow develop the skills to re-paint it. Thanks to your thread, I see this is not only conceivable, but very possible.

I love what you did, and had a few questions if you were willing/able.

- Did you do any prep work on the hilt prior to using that Ace Hardware purple gloss (sanding/coating/etc.)?

- Did you do any post paint work in terms of preserving the application/paint (some sort of seal)?

- Do you have any general tips for folks wanting to do this?

Thanks a lot!

Hey, glad to see this build is getting some love!

Actually, this was a super simple paint job. Basically, I disassembled it as much as I could before painting, but did no prep work to any of the parts aside from cleaning them from any oils by wiping them with a clean cloth.

You'll find that the pommel unscrews into two parts, then the black plastic grip slides off. After that, I believe the upper bowl on the guard disassembles as well, but I didn't remove the plastic wings before painting, as they seem to be glued in. The blade is permanently attached to the lower part of the hilt, so I just masked the gem and the blade carefully and trimmed the tape with an Exacto knife. Then, I just painted the parts in my front yard, a few hours between coats, then waited for them to dry fully before reassembling.

No post work aside from touching up the details (which I just overpainted because, as I'm sure you've noticed, they needed to be redone anyway. I hand painted those with a brush, because I don't have an airbrush at my disposal. The paint is chipping a bit on the edges of the pommel, so I would recommend some sort of sealer to prevent that from happening on yours.

All in all, it was a pretty simple build. Just go slow and take your time. I got mine done in an evening, so it didn't take me all that long even when I was taking my time. It's just a simple repaint, but boy does it make the sword stand out.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them as best as I can.

Thanks a lot for all your info/help Jm419! I am with you on how much better it looks once re-painted, and you really did a fantastic job! Thanks again for everything!

Nice Job! I'm going try this on mine but I haven't really tried taking it apart yet. Does the handle just unscrew on the pommel?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back