Subscribe
    From
    Western Mass. USA
    Apr 12, 2014, 7:47 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #601

Oh, I'll post it here when I have something for sale. And it won't be crazy expensive. Possibly end of May (arteests need time to make art).
    Jun 13, 2014, 4:30 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #602

Bump. Is this thread still alive? Were any of these ever offered for sale? What did I miss? It's been two months since any activity. I've been waiting so long. Hello?
    From
    Western Mass. USA
    Jun 13, 2014, 5:09 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #603

Hey man, thanks for the interest! I have all the materials, but I'm working on two Lost In Space Robots for a client, and it's taking up my whole (small) table. I'm fully going to do a serious run of them, and I have a list of folks that want one (not a crazy big list; I'll be able to fill it easily). But I need a totally clear table for moulding & casting. If I had a garage or a basement (or even a big empty closet) I could work on both at once...

I haven't generally offered them, but I did sell two finished ones on eBay for auction a couple of months ago to get the dough I needed for new moulds & resin.
    Oct 15, 2014, 3:29 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #604

Is this project still alive? It's been another four months with no updates and no comments.

And now with the weather turning colder I expect you cannot mold anything. At least that's been the case the past two years.

It's been two and a half years since this project began, and for a large part of that time production has always been just around the corner, yet it never happens.

So please post and let us know if this project really is still alive, and if there is a realistic end date on these?
  5. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Austin, TX
    Oct 15, 2014, 5:43 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #605

Really? Life gets in the way of plans and projects. I've had projects drag on far longer than expected whether through unforeseen setbacks or other things taking priority. Unless money has changed hands it is inappropriate to make these rude, entitled demands. I'm sure he will update when he is good and ready...
    From
    Western Mass. USA
    Oct 15, 2014, 5:47 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #606

As you can plainly see there really is no realistic end date. But sincerely, thanks for the interest. Real life intrusion has been fracking with my plans. I'll post it here when I do finish a good run, and they won't be very expensive, but health issues & bills trump creative drive, sadly.
    Oct 16, 2014, 8:28 AM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #607

Hi Chris,

E-Williams called me out for being rude to you. That was certainly never my intent, so I want to apologize to you here. I know what a nice and sincere guy you are, and we've exchanged some nice messages about other fandoms, too.

I've watched many, many projects offered up for sale on the RPF that evolved from presentation to completion so I thought I had a good sense of the time frame and the tone shift when something is nearing completion.

But E Williams has a broader, fresh, perspective. So I will simply wait, and let you do this on your own schedule without comment or interruption.

E Williams said: View Post
    it is inappropriate to make these rude.
    From
    Western Mass. USA
    Oct 16, 2014, 12:56 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #608

Hi Tengu & E Williams,
    I fully intend to make a new batch, but my small workspace and my real life coomplications have slowed me. On the bright side, rubber moulding (as I found out last time) is rather smell-less & non toxic, so that I can do whenever. I'll post news when there is some. Promise.
  9. Ryan Norbauer RPF Premium Member norbauer's Avatar
    From
    Cambridge, MA, USA
    Oct 16, 2014, 2:54 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #609

Chrisisall said: View Post
    Hi Tengu & E Williams,
    I fully intend to make a new batch, but my small workspace and my real life coomplications have slowed me. On the bright side, rubber moulding (as I found out last time) is rather smell-less & non toxic, so that I can do whenever. I'll post news when there is some. Promise.
    A cast rubber ("stunt") version of these would be amazing! Please count me in if you ever do one of those.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Tengu & E Williams,
    By the way, I just notice you're in Western MA. I'm a member and volunteer at the Artisan's Asylum in Somerville, MA, working to add a casting, painting, and replicating prop workshop to the current offering of work areas. If you'd ever like to come over to Somerville and get help casting with good equipment (a vacuum degassing chamber, pressure pot, laser cutter, machining tools, etc.), I would be happy to get you free access.
    From
    Western Mass. USA
    Oct 16, 2014, 3:06 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #610

norbauer said: View Post
    By the way, I just notice you're in Western MA. I'm a member and volunteer at the Artisan's Asylum in Somerville, MA, working to add a casting, painting, and replicating prop workshop to the current offering of work areas. If you'd ever like to come over to Somerville and get help casting with good equipment (a vacuum degassing chamber, pressure pot, laser cutter, machining tools, etc.), I would be happy to get you free access.
    Hi Ryan! Thanks for the offer- I've been to Sommerville for two craft fairs that my Wife attended. I did want to machine aluminum metal parts for the phaser but I have no access to the equipment here. Do you have lathes and the like?
  11. Ryan Norbauer RPF Premium Member norbauer's Avatar
    From
    Cambridge, MA, USA
    Oct 16, 2014, 3:07 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #611

Hi Ryan! Thanks for the offer- I've been to Sommerville for two craft fairs that my Wife attended. I did want to machine aluminum metal parts for the phaser but I have no access to the equipment here. Do you have lathes and the like?
    Absolutely! And I know how to operate them.
    From
    Western Mass. USA
    Oct 16, 2014, 3:11 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #612

norbauer said: View Post
    Absolutely! And I know how to operate them.
    Like they say on Firefly, I feel like maybe we can do business.
  13. Ryan Norbauer RPF Premium Member norbauer's Avatar
    From
    Cambridge, MA, USA
    Oct 16, 2014, 3:18 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #613

Like they say on Firefly, I feel like maybe we can do business.
    That would be excellent. Feel free to PM me to arrange details. I have been looking to hone my lathe skills, and the ST6 phaser II nozzle is an excellent lathe project. I have also been wanting to rig up a tool holder for doing curved/round surfaces (I am planning on doing a TNG hypospray nozzle), and the slight curvature of the ST6 nozzle would also a good reason to get that set up.

We have both a lathe with a digital readout and three mills (a CNC with digital readout, and two old-school manual ones).

And pretty soon we'll have a full prop pressure/vacuum casting set-up. We could use your input on those!
    Oct 16, 2014, 6:06 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #614

Wow really nice what you've come up with on those Assault Phasers, Chrisisall. I really hope this project comes to fruition as well.

Hope your health issues are not too serious, I've been there and know how that can ruin your desire to do anything - much less build prop replicas. Great work though, seriously.
    From
    Western Mass. USA
    Oct 16, 2014, 6:15 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #615

TOS said: View Post
    Hope your health issues are not too serious, I've been there and know how that can ruin your desire to do anything - much less build prop replicas.
    Things affecting your loved ones take so much time & energy out of one... I was at warp speed and now I'm going sub-light. Plus a project I'm working on in front of this for a client...

It'll all work out though.
    Oct 16, 2014, 6:18 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #616

Absolutely it will. Just hang in there. Life is up and down in cycles, you just have to weather it as best you can, and choose your priorities.
    From
    Western Mass. USA
    Oct 16, 2014, 6:36 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #617

TOS said: View Post
    Absolutely it will. Just hang in there. Life is up and down in cycles, you just have to weather it as best you can, and choose your priorities.
    Yeah, thanks. If only I weren't such a damn perfectionist... it's like my projects are my children- I need them to be just right. But then, that's how we all are here, right? Can't just finish something to get it done...
    Jan 27, 2015, 3:26 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #618

Hi Chris. Howzit going? Any updates or news on this project?

Thanks!
    From
    Western Mass. USA
    Jan 27, 2015, 3:29 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #619

Only that I wanna do it. I just gotta carve out the time & space. Real life is limiting both at the moment...
  20. Ryan Norbauer RPF Premium Member norbauer's Avatar
    From
    Cambridge, MA, USA
    Jan 28, 2015, 9:01 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #620

Only that I wanna do it. I just gotta carve out the time & space. Real life is limiting both at the moment...
    Hey Chris. I sent you an email a while back. I'd be happy to have you over the Artisan's Asylum in Somerville to make molds of this with our vacuum degas/pressure cast set up, or even to do them for you. Just drop me a PM or email if you'd like to collaborate. Happy to help in whatever way I can.
    From
    Western Mass. USA
    Jan 28, 2015, 9:16 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #621

I'll get back to you fairly soon on this (soon meaning after it's not effin' freezing) Ryan! We'll make us some fun!
  22. Member Since
    Feb 2015
    Feb 26, 2015, 2:02 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #622

Hi guys

I just stumbled across this forum and the incredible buildup of the ST assault phaser by Chris. I had to immediately register and put my name in the hat to purchase one when they are made available.

Chris your work is amazing and I look forward to being able to order one when they are made available.
    From
    Western Mass. USA
    Feb 26, 2015, 2:21 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #623

Thanks for the compliments. This summer for sure. Kits & finished pieces.
    From
    United Kingdom
    Mar 23, 2015, 5:22 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #624

Count me in if it ever goes ahead!
    From
    Western Mass. USA
    Mar 23, 2015, 5:48 PM - Re: Star Trek V/VI 'Assault' Phaser project #625

the_doctor said: View Post
    Count me in if it ever goes ahead!
    Good news: I just hooked up with Steve & Ryan who will produce metal parts for it! Together we'll make tin phaser great! Stay tuned, I'll post an update right here next month.