Another R2D2

Darth Mawr

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I finally received my dome for my R2D2 that I'm building so I thought it was time to show off. I have a wooden frame and legs, styrene skins and fiberglass dome and skirt. I bought the resin utility arms but all the other parts I've scratch built out of styrene. Sorry for the crappy phone camera photo. Also note that several of the parts are just sitting in place and are not secured as they will be in the end.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Well I've made a little progress in the last couple of days. I've scratch built a large data port pictured here.

attachment.php

You can also see in the photo above that I've cut out the various openings and I've installed resin Logistic details that I bought as seen on the left of the dome and unseen on the back of the dome.

And here is a pic of how R2 looks at the moment. You can see the Center Vent Surrounds that I bought with the internal vent details that I scratch built. You can also see the coin slots that I bought as well and I've got everything attached now and the dome is mounted on the large bearing so it rotates.

attachment.php

I need to order the three holoprojectors for the dome as well as the Radar Eye and I then I will have all the cosmetic parts for the dome. I can then return to the legs and start planning on the feet.

Thanks guys.

Looking good, are you going to give the head more of a metallic colour or are you going to keep it like this?

Actually the fiberglass dome was laid up with aluminum powder in the resin as I understand it so it is quite metallic now but it needs to be polished up. The maker recommends silver Rub n Buff on the dome after the panels are painted up to brighten the aluminum look.

Just a small update. I've recently moved and not had time to post this before but I scratch built the Radar Eye and Lense for R2 though I do need to address a small issue of fit of the Radar Eye to the dome. Nothing that a little sand paper won't fix.

I also made PSI lenses out of milk jug material and styrene for the front and back.

Now all I need to complete the dome exterior are three holoprojectors. Once I've made sure that those fit properly I can go about lighting up the dome.

Once I've done that, then I can finally mask off and paint the blue panels and such on the dome. But money being short it will be a while before I can finish up the dome.

attachment.php

How are you painting the blue around the power couplers and vents? Are you masking and then spraying or brushing?

Great job, man. Did you build the Senna frame yourself?

Thanks for the kind words.

How are you painting the blue around the power couplers and vents? Are you masking and then spraying or brushing?

Great job, man. Did you build the Senna frame yourself?

I bought the Senna style frame from a member on Astromech.net, and then glued it up, but not from Senna himself. I got in a hurry applying the styrene panels and didn't think about it until I had already applied the panel around the center vents that it needed to be blue so I had to mask off the body to paint it up. Everything else was painted up before I attached them to the body. The octogon ports are just sitting in place at the moment as I'm not sure that I'm happy with my work. When money becomes available again I may order some resin ones.:confused

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back