ho to sew spidy? Please read final post for anyone i aggrevated with repeated posting

sp1derman

Sr Member
hello i am going to order the kit from frontier costuming but no seamstress i speak to says their machine will go through this material. they say i need an industrial machine. what does their machine need to be capable of to do the costume.
how do i also attach the eyes please answer soon i need this costume for my fundraiser.
regards sp1derman

Last edited:
Re: HELP spider man costume how do i sew it!

A regular sewing machine should definitely work. The machine I have is nothing special, and ancient lol, but it works fine on lycra.

My other half had a suit like this off of frontier and the woman we got to sew it together used her normal machine, she was more bothered about getting the particular stitch for lycra right. Although she did mess up where the hands meet the arms, she found this type of suit very challenging having never done anything like it before... she did the hands seperate and then added them to the arms which made the hands too tight... luckily this wasn't a problem for what my other half was planning - but for spiderman your going to want to be comfortable in it so try not to do the same lol

And the best of luck with Spidey :)

There are special needles for sewing stretch fabric, and you will want to make sure to use a zigzag rather than a straight stitch, and be very careful that one piece of fabric doesn't feed through the machine faster than the other (which sometimes happens with stretch fabric if the tension and pressure aren't adjusted correctly) but I don't think there's any reason it couldn't be done on a home sewing machine.

My other half had a suit like this off of frontier and the woman we got to sew it together used her normal machine, she was more bothered about getting the particular stitch for lycra right. Although she did mess up where the hands meet the arms, she found this type of suit very challenging having never done anything like it before... she did the hands seperate and then added them to the arms which made the hands too tight... luckily this wasn't a problem for what my other half was planning - but for spiderman your going to want to be comfortable in it so try not to do the same lol

And the best of luck with Spidey :)

my seamstress has said it shouldn't be problem after telling her a normal machine works fine does anyone know if there are instructions to sew it together like a description of ho all the bit fit together my big thing is HOW DO I ATTACH THE EYES ASKED EVERYWHERE NOT HAD A RESPONSE FROM ANYONE HOW DO I STICK THEM TO THE COSTUME :cry

Dude, quit making multiple post, group them together into one post since it's obvious this a Spiderman build.

ONE build...ONE post

Dude, quit making multiple post, group them together into one post since it's obvious this a Spiderman build.

ONE build...ONE post

sorry mate only made 2 about this its just because putting about the spiderman eyes anywhere i never get a reply so post it alone to get a reply

Someone might get around to answering your question, it's not a support hot-line. I would think craft stores would have glue good for fabric.

Someone might get around to answering your question, it's not a support hot-line. I would think craft stores would have glue good for fabric.

i wasn't thinking of it like that i just remember from a thread a long time ago that there was a special way to attach if all it is is a fabric glue that's easy i just know allot of people make these and wanted advice. im just in a hurry so i have it ready for my big fundraiser

There are special needles for sewing stretch fabric, and you will want to make sure to use a zigzag rather than a straight stitch, and be very careful that one piece of fabric doesn't feed through the machine faster than the other (which sometimes happens with stretch fabric if the tension and pressure aren't adjusted correctly) but I don't think there's any reason it couldn't be done on a home sewing machine.

EHyde is actually right, your seamstresses should be able to find special needles, I already sewed a lycra body and it worked fine ;)

Ive heard someone say this isnt a support hotline but you know what, being in this brother sister hood we call the RPF and sharing the same love and passions, we should be able to help each other out especially those with experience and with a minor issue such as glue. 0ther wise what is the point of being here to show off and/or make money? I know that some use quick grip glue sold at walmart, Wish I could help you more dude... Alot of us dress up like heroes but where are the real Heroes?

Last edited:

Yeah, but make sure you aren't pointlessly crowding the forum with multiple threads is also good. A little etiquette goes a long way.

Stretch the sewn mask over a head form and use superglue. The eyes MUST be attached to mask while stretched or it will throw everything out of whack.

As for how it all pieces together, search around, people have labeled images of the pattern in the past. The most difficult part is the face and head. (Instructions below) A good seamstress should be able to figure out the rest.

frontofmaskdt6.jpg

restofmaskoc5.jpg

Also, I know I'm not the only one who got this exact same request via PM. In the future, please just post one thread and someone who knows best will help you and the information will then be out in the open for anyone else who may have the same question. PM people only if no one responds for a VERY long time...I mean like 2 weeks.

...3 hours does not warrant an "ALL CAPS" response. Not all of us check the board all the time. So please try to be patient.

-Nick

Also, you might want to consider one of the under mask vacuum formed face masks to help you breath and keep the eyes straight.

Just make sure you use a stand-in head that has the same size and eye placement as yourself when you stretch the mask over it to get a proper fit. Padding out a styrofoam head works well and is quick and cheap.

Good Luck!

Ive heard someone say this isnt a support hotline but you know what, being in this brother sister hood we call the RPF and sharing the same love and passions, we should be able to help each other out especially those with experience and with a minor issue such as glue. 0ther wise what is the point of being here to show off and/or make money? I know that some use quick grip glue sold at walmart, Wish I could help you more dude... Alot of us dress up like heroes but where are the real Heroes?

thanks man i part of BOTB as well and thats the reception i get around there :D

Stretch the sewn mask over a head form and use superglue. The eyes MUST be attached to mask while stretched or it will throw everything out of whack.

As for how it all pieces together, search around, people have labeled images of the pattern in the past. The most difficult part is the face and head. (Instructions below) A good seamstress should be able to figure out the rest.

frontofmaskdt6.jpg

restofmaskoc5.jpg

Also, I know I'm not the only one who got this exact same request via PM. In the future, please just post one thread and someone who knows best will help you and the information will then be out in the open for anyone else who may have the same question. PM people only if no one responds for a VERY long time...I mean like 2 weeks.

...3 hours does not warrant an "ALL CAPS" response. Not all of us check the board all the time. So please try to be patient.

-Nick

you where the only person sorry it was only because half the posts i researched said you did this alot and would know the best method appologies im new to posting properly :D

okay i can tell i aggrivated a few people with my questions and i do appologise i am a newbie and stil leaning how it works i will be showing my edited zentai suit in a few days whilst i sort out this build. im sorry if i PMd or i over stepped my mark as someone not well known.:facepalm

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back