Be in a movie with Harrison Ford

Jayn

Sr Member
Southern US RPF'ers! The movie "42" is looking for extras to be in a baseball movie about Jackie Robinson. They want lots of extras in Birmingham, Macon and Chattanooga. Here's the info:

42 - Home

"Film Fun"? I'm not sure about that part. In college I watched them film a few episodes of a tv show (Superboy) on campus. The multiple takes looked mind numbing.

That being said, I would sign up for it if it was in my area.

Last edited:
I was there on Tuesday the 15th at Rickwood Field in Birmingham, Alabama.
It was a long day but also a lot of fun. :thumbsup

They were shooting scenes depicting a minor league game between the Montreal Royals and the Jersey City Giants.

(From Wikipedia: ) On April 18, 1946, Roosevelt Stadium hosted the Jersey City Giants' season opener against the Montreal Royals, marking the professional debut of the Royals' Jackie Robinson. In his five trips to the plate, Robinson made four hits, including a three-run homer, scored four runs and drove in three; he also stole two bases in the Royals 14-1 victory.

Sweet. How did the filming work. Ie for the home run did the actor actually hit a home run or did they just use movie magic for that part.

Sweet. How did the filming work. Ie for the home run did the actor actually hit a home run or did they just use movie magic for that part.

Lots of movie magic. :lol

They did try to actually get some decent hits with the actors first though. They used a pitching machine to get a shot of a home run ball going over the fence.

For shots where "Jackie" had hit to the shortstop, they had a guy with a bat and ball standing behind the plate, and when they called for action, he would hit the ball to the shortstop just out of frame as Jackie started running to first base.

There were only 2 actual plays filmed over the entire day, but there were many takes of different angles, lots of coverage and crowd reaction shots. There were at least 4 different cameras rolling for most of the shots, and they were being moved around all over the place all day long.
The extras had to move around to different sections many times during the day as well.

First Unit and Second Unit were both working at the same time.

There was a steadycam operator on a motorized cart that filmed multiple takes of a tracking shot of Jackie rounding third base heading home.

They also had 2 doubles for the actor playing Jackie Robinson (Chadwick Boseman). Both of whom had previous baseball experience like all the other players on the field.

The outfield wall was covered with plain blue panels. I am guessing that since Rickwood Field is being used as 3 different stadiums in this film, (including itself), that the outfield wall will be digitally added into the shot in post production, since each stadium would have different walls/advertisements.

Also, the upper level seats were filled with thousands of inflatable dummies with masks and wigs, to give the illusion that there were thousands of people in the stands instead of only a few hundred. I'm sure none of that will be visible in the finished film.

A few scenes of dialogue were also shot, but I can't go into details about any of the plot elements. :cool

Even though it is a long day, it still sounds like it is a great experience. Now were all the extras wearing clothes from the era, or was that just you? I would imagine for a period type movie, that you would be required to wear the fashions of the time.

Yes, all of the extras were wearing 1940s stuff. Anyone who did not wasn't allowed in the stadium.

Yes, all of the extras were wearing 1940s stuff. Anyone who did not wasn't allowed in the stadium.

That must be a real sight. Almost like walking into a time machine. People of all ages dressed like it was 80 years ago. Ballplayers in old school, baggy uniforms. That is pretty awesome. What an experience.

Well, I just got an email that the crowd scene in Macon has been pretty much nixed. Another company is casting a small number of paying roles, but I don't have what I consider three suitable photos of myself to send in as requested, and it would probably be more trouble than it's worth anyway.

Bleah.

This movie will be opening tonight at some theaters for 10PM screenings.
I've heard nothing but great reviews so far. I'll be watching it tonight, and
maybe I'll be able to see myself on screen. :cool

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back