Kids-sized PROTON PACKS

DarthVader1

Yes, you've read correctly... KIDS-SIZED PROTON PACKS! They're basically 50% smaller than the actual sized Proton Packs (about 15 inches long). This will be a great addition for the kids who would probably want to be GB's for Halloween.

Thanks to Joey from the Alabama Ghostbusters, I've got my hands on a wood kit, apparently to be used as "plugs" for vacuum forming. It was made by Ron Jeffrey (from either the RPF and/or GBFans), and I got them for a deal. Here's the only 3 wood packs made so far, and I got one of them (I received number 2, the one in the front),

mini-proton%20packs.JPG

Some of the pieces require a bit of work (Bondo, basicallly), and some have to be made out of RESIN via a mold; not to mention that the whole thing needs to be assembled and remolded to get the detail you really want.

Basically, I got a bunch of wood-made parts (really good, actually) for the shell, but they're not good to me since I have to drill holes through them for vacuum forming. I've decided to do a casting of the whole shell PROPERLY for it, by making a silicone mold and then go from there. But here's the start of the project so far... you'll be surprised by the end.

(REMINDER: So far, I got the parts for the MAIN SHELL ONLY (besides the bumper, which was included), but there is no mention of GREEBLIES, or EXTRAS, or LABELS, or motherboard... which I'll be making myself to be included as a KIT once I'm done with and after my "obligation deal") ... ahem!... first exclusives (if you know what I mean) will be for the ALGB's.... 'nuff said!

-More updates-

I've finally done the main mold. All I have to do is to cast a fiberglass version for the vac-forming table.

Here are pics of the progress so far,

IMG_20120407_181326.jpg

IMG_20120407_181901.jpg

Started working on the N-Filter; at first thought into making it part of the vac-formed casting, but it will look better as a resin-casting instead, due to the little hole indentations and the "soldered" detail on the edge... but this will be decided later as I work on it.

IMG_20120407_181155.jpg

IMG_20120408_124439.jpg

IMG_20120414_160032.jpg

IMG_20120414_170815.jpg

IMG_20120414_200202.jpg

UPDATE - 21 April 2012

Just to show what I got so far. I’ve made my first fiberglass plug today to have ready to vacuum forming,

IMG_20120421_154305.jpg

IMG_20120422_115610.jpg

And now, time for small details. One of the things predominant in the pack besides the N-Filter, are the Clippard valves. Of course I needed to “reduce” the size and find alternate ways to make it happen. I had to come up with some ideas, and I had the items right on my face: 1/2 inch PVC pipe, 1/4 inch MDF board scraps, some small screws (not pictured) and two HEX screws (don't know the size).

IMG_20120421_154234.jpg

Filled the PVC pipes with sculpting clay.

IMG_20120421_155015.jpg

... as well as the Hex holes on the hex screws.

IMG_20120421_155116.jpg

Plug in the hex screws into the top of the clay-filled PVC tubes, and here they are... already assembled and ready to mold. Might not be accurate, but really close to the proper scale.

IMG_20120421_163119.jpg

Here is the link of all the progress pics so far, enjoy!

mini Proton Packs

More to come soon.

Last edited:
Amazing dude, we made a 1/4 scale one for my brothers 2 year old last Halloween, I'll dig some pics out

Looks great but why not make them all out of fiberglass? What is the scale of these?

The scale is exactly 1/2 of the original size. I thought about making them in fiberglass, but it's a pain in the rear to deal with. My goal for the moment is just to make the castings in vacuum forming... reason I'm doing it this way, and part of the deal I made with the creator of the wood packs.

I'm not an expert at vacuum forming, but judging by some of the vacuum formed packs I've seen and one I currently own, you may need to form the cyclotron and upper parts of the pack separately to prevent the plastic from 'bridging'
God luck though, you'll make a fortune with these

I'm not an expert at vacuum forming, but judging by some of the vacuum formed packs I've seen and one I currently own, you may need to form the cyclotron and upper parts of the pack separately to prevent the plastic from 'bridging'
God luck though, you'll make a fortune with these
Thanks and yeah, I perfectly know what you mean since my actual pack is vac-formed, and by the way it looks, it was done in two pieces. It might not have any troubles due to the size, though. Worst case scenario, I'll have to do two separate molds instead.

I'll start casting these next week... I'll post pics soon.

In the meantime, here's a comparison shot of the mini pack, and my full size pack:

IMG_20120422_115629.jpg

Last edited:
I'd be interested depending on how they come out, why would be the price roughly for a vacuum formed shell and the scaled down clippards?

I'll be molding the bumper SEPARATELY, and the Clippard castings will be included… with more parts slowly to be made as time permits. Pretty much they will be as close as the real ones... just way smaller.

-PROGRESS UPDATE-

Three weeks ago, I had to go back to the drawing board, since there was a major disaster… the first casting came out HORRIBLE, with lots of webbing and stuff, destroying the casting in the process, all due to something I DIDN’T DO to the plugs before vac-forming them (lightly smooth-sanding them).

Anyway, I am going now with the same way STUDIO CREATIONS do their pack shells… in TWO PIECES, that means, make NEW MOLDS for both parts. Here’s what I have so far, had to separate the two parts to be re-molded,

IMG_20120519_163355.jpg

Ready to mold, top section of the pack
IMG_20120603_153157.jpg

IMG_20120603_165916.jpg

Now, for the bottom section, unfortunately, I ran out of silicone rubber to finish the job,

IMG_20120609_130651.jpg

IMG_20120609_141953.jpg

Until I get more silicone, I’ve started with a couple of more pieces and ready for molding too: HGA, N-Filter, and wand body, I've added the HGA very same screws from my Matty Collector's GHOST TRAP (gotta put them back afterwards, of course).

IMG_20120609_133559.jpg

Here’s my update so far (first part due almost a month ago):

I’ve finally done with the “tools” (or “plugs”), and they’re ready for the vacuum-forming table, hopefully, will be done this weekend (Saturday or Sunday). *It’s being a hectic process, since I’ve being juggling with my job’s new schedule that actually affected me in terms of my time available to keep working in the afternoons, weather, and wife’s last-minute requests which requires taking away MY already-limited free time.

Bondo/Fiberglass casting for the lower "plug", ready to demold, clean and do the holes to have ready for vac-forming.

IMAG0039.jpg

Bondo/Fiberglass casting for the UPPER "plug"

IMAG0040.jpg

Casting out of the mold... so pretty! *Just some cleaning, sanding, and hole s to be made to have ready for vac-forming

IMAG0041.jpg

Both pieces fresh from the molds, ready to trim, sand and have ready for vac-forming.

IMAG0042.jpg

Both tools trimmed, now primed for sanding (shouldn't have done that, though)

IMG_20120711_102619.jpg

Here are the pieces READY for the vac-forming table.

IMAG0043.jpg

Plugs came out good, but vac-formed pulls UNSUCESSFUL due that they got stuck to the plugs. All right, I already have a "plan B" in mind... making two more plugs made out of another material... heat resistand and non-stick. I will get with that later.

(NEW UPDATE)

Anyway, Here’s my latest update:

Built of the wand (gun) mainbody, these ones are made in FIBERGLASS, but I will try to make them happen in vac-formed plastic, since the first try was not successful,

IMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

And here is what they should look like with the already made molds for small parts, castings made out of BLACK resin.

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

More to come soon.

Sorry for the necro bump, but did you ever make these available?
I'd be in for either a fiberglass pull or a vacuum pull

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back