1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

Has anyone managed to download the Antenna, Outboard Module and outboard module connector and extract the files? They are still corrupt when I try to open them, the rest of the files work fine...

Cheers

Michael

They still look corrupt to me. Someone brought these to Dave's attention earlier in this thread but I don't know if he has seen it. I even tried to send one of the good files to a local 3D printer and they said the STL file had too many errors to use so I think SW is my only option if they can only get their act together.

Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

Psimon...I had made two orders to SW...one was for Dave's Cygnus model and the other for Martyn's Palomino prototype (the two-piece one)...The Cygnus parts came perfect! Like Jeff says, the texture feels (and looks) just like the real model. I wanted to test FUD for lighting purposes, so I also ordered some Tower and Base Antennas in FUD... just to test and compare to the SWF counterparts. The FUD's came broken. They are translucent and look perfect for lighting and sharp detailing, but they are too delicate and break extremely easily. I do not like that they are so brittle, but I guess shape/size/thickness is a factor to consider for practical uses of FUD pieces. My SW issue was with Martyn's Palomino...Originally I ordered it in SWF, but then cancelled that and re-ordered in FUD. The email confirmation for the order came timely and indicated both were in process...being confident and due to work schedules, however, I neglected reading my emails timely, so I missed a message where SW cancelled one of the Palomino pieces (Palomino upper hull 0 2a) saying it was unprintable. The lower half (Palomino lower hull 0 3b) was done and is GREAT. Superb detailing of the railings. I can’t wait to see the “upgraded” 3-part version of the Palomino. I wish I could at least reorder the upper hull in SWF, but currently buying it is blocked. So I will just wait and hope for Martyn to open them up soon.

Like Jeff says, the texture feels (and looks) just like the real model. I wanted to test FUD for lighting purposes, so I also ordered some Tower and Base Antennas in FUD... just to test and compare to the SWF counterparts. The FUD's came broken. They are translucent and look perfect for lighting and sharp detailing, but they are too delicate and break extremely easily.

Hi Frankpr01,
Thanks for your feedback about the FUD parts. This is great information. Sorry to hear part of your order was canceled also. I am ready to buy my parts but am waiting on Dave to know everything is ok to go again.

Frank sorry again about that mate. I'm sure I did write, either PM here or PM at Shapeways, can't recall. Glad you like the lower half. The new version will be in more than three parts in the end - the lower hull will be separate from the engine/girder deck, and I'm separating out various antennae as well.

Also finer detail on the girders, IF they can successfully be printed - I need to order a test print which I will do soon as I have the new upper hull done, but I have some other commitments I'm trying to progress at the same time. Oh and yes, FUD is bloody brittle! That's another reason it's all trial and error.

- - - Updated - - -

BUT, if I get a good result, I'll also try scaling it up from 1/350, as well. It could be that a 1/192 studio-scale version would still work without much redetailing. :)

ShapeWays has confirmed that ALL of Dave's store parts are printable (unless he recently removed parts that are not)

-----
Dear Paul,
I have checked all models and their order history. They have all been printed before and can be ordered again. There are only few cases that have already been resolved:
Model "tower center antennas" has been rejected once because it was ordered in Polished Bronze Steel.
Models "stern upper platform" and "upper deck port" has been rejected in White Strong & Flexible, but since then the design has been updated and successfully printed several times.
I hope this helps.
Adela
-----

Even though Dave has not made all the parts available in Black I have asked if they will print his entire store for me in black including the multiples. Waiting to hear back.

I wish I could have ordered everything in black originally! But I did a little light testing over the weekend and there's not too much light bleed; the command tower seems to be the biggest risk of that.

I just herd back form SW again. They will not allow me to order all the parts in Black unless Dave has specified them to be so. So Dave, if you are reading this, PLEASE add black as an option to the rest of your parts!

Honestly the material is so absorbent of paint I wouldn't worry a lot. White will be fine, and is a little cheaper, and probably a little stronger since it doesn't have pigment AFAIK. Up to you of course.

I've unpacked my new box. :)

20141030_170337.jpg 20141030_170401.jpg 20141030_170249.jpg 20141030_170318.jpg 20141030_170354.jpg

20141030_170427.jpg 20141030_170307.jpg 20141030_170345.jpg 20141030_170411.jpg

20141030_170257.jpg

The new bow structure is divided into six main components; a front bow/docks, an aft 'core', the two 'mandible' side sections and the upper and lower bases for the observatories (coming later). The front bow and 'core' sections lock together via some small friction snaps. Works really well, I'm pleased with that. You never quite know what tolerances to go for.

20141030_170442.jpg 20141030_170524.jpg 20141030_170917.jpg 20141030_170733.jpg

20141030_170512.jpg 20141030_170559.jpg 20141030_170716.jpg 20141030_170503.jpg

20141030_170553.jpg 20141030_170659.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Martyn! Steady on there. That is awesome. Ive just received my latest box of daves bits from shapeways myself and was about to tell everyone how good they are,but they are somewhat put in the shade by what you've just posted......

The parts I received are; both power centres, an outboard module, stern fuel tanks module, spine(underside) and both rear engines with shields. Very high quality work from both Dave and shapeways. More than halfway there.....

Haha! Post 'em by all means, 32buds, please! Yeah, credit where it is due, when Shapeways parts work they work - I might gripe about them but some of this stuff is just incredible; frankly I'm amazed every time I open a new box.

Dave has been absent here for some time. I sent him emails and IMs over the past couple weeks with no response. IF anyone here is in contact with him, can you please ask if he will be making the rest of his parts available in black? It is the only thing holding me back from placing my order.

Thanks Jeff. It'd help a lot if *I* was a millionaire, haha. I have to space these things out a bit.

Palomino guys, I've just uploaded the hopefully-final parts and placed an order for test prints. Cross yer fingers!

Not heard from Dave for a while myself, sorry.

I might gripe about them but some of this stuff is just incredible; frankly I'm amazed every time I open a new box.

I think it's also seeing your incredible work in 3D first hand. Sorry if you mentioned this before but just how many feet will your Cygnus be when finished and where will you be displaying it? Will you leave it open or make an acrylic display for it?

It'll end up just under 7 feet. 1/350 is a little more than half studio scale. Yeah, I want to build a wood framed display case in due course.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back