1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

You mean these two whiskers?

Dem's de ones. No drama: I'd tried to sprue two pipes together there, but forgotten to alter the jointing on one of the pipes to match. The 'missing' section is on one of the Fuel Tank B clusters. Just one of the October helter-skelter issues.

Have you, and Dave, worked out just how you're going to interconnect all that piping?

Yeah, it's all done. We compared notes a lot on that. I haven't modelled everything yet, there's still some minor piping to do, but the layout is sorted. That said, I may redo some bigger parts. Don't know if you've spotted, but my upper spine parts have been down for a while and I've just taken the lower spine ones down too. More on this below. :(

I was worried about the 'bumpiness' of the parts but they are so tiny I can hardly see them even up close.

I told you about bumps dog. I warned you bro. :)

I think in all the what for's and whereas's they note that this can happen on long skinny things because the printers use dual extruders that meet in the middle during printing causing "small" errors. That looks like more than a small error to me.

These parts aren't done on extruder-type machines, they're done on SLS units - select laser sintering. Uses a tray of nylon powder with a laser fusing the top layer, then another layer of powder is spread out and the process repeats; I would have said the bed was accidentally offset during production but given the "overlap" there, if that's what happened it was in both the X and Y axes. Would have probably wrecked everything in that tray/batch.

Antenna light box. Dave's shapeways) store states "Quantity required-5" .
Three on top(1 either side of the command tower and 1 mid-spine) and two underneath( 1 directly beneath the command tower and 1 mid-lower spine).
I downloaded these files quite a while back. I wouldn't have thought they would be gone from the site.

I've just taken mine down for probably the same reason Dave did: I've redesigned my stern to include two of the antenna cages, like Dave. So my 5-copies version of the part is obsoleted, I need to upload one with just three.

Even if 32Buds had the file, I don't think we could upload it to SW since we would need Dave's approval.

I honestly do not think he would mind at all - we are not putting markups on these parts so there's no loss, and I'm sure he'd want people to be able to continue their models. If anyone has the file but is worried about doing this, send it to me and I will temporarily host it on my account. As I say, I'm pretty sure Dave won't be upset - and if he is, better for him to be upset at me. :)

So, more ups and downs. I've just had notice that the new-new version of the Palomino engine deck STILL won't print in WSF. I ordered one at the same time in FUD and that one seems to have made it; it's just been shipped. I don't have it yet but received the other updated parts during the week. They seem fine.

Palomino guys: have at it. All the parts are now available.

That's the good news, the bad news is I got the one printable half of my transit tube system (the other was rejected) and frankly, this one probably should have been too. It's wavy as hell. The tubes are hollow so I can put a steel rod down the middle of each one, but the spikes on the ends of the cross-tubes are just too bendy. I took a chance there, knowing it would probably be iffy, again, it was a speed thing before the price change.

So this means a fair sized redesign and I also had some issues with needing to add parts of the fuel system to the upper spine pieces. I'm thinking it's going to be better to include the transit pipes with the upper spine parts, just as Dave did (originally I avoided that due to the old cost algorithm, now it doesn't really matter). I'll keep the cross pipes, but take the pointy tips off them and sprue them all together as a single piece for FUD printing. God, I am going to have SO MANY prototype parts for sale, after all this, haha.

I left the paired fuel pipes off the lower spine parts too, so I might as well bite the bullet and add them in at the same time.

Palomino lower half shows not for sale. No hurry for me, I look forward to seeing the pics from you first.

Ever thought about just leaving off the transit tubes and using some clear plastic tubing instead? At least for the straight lengths.

I don't think it's too much to ask folks to get some Evergreen or Plastruct tubing for this and the long straight lengths of other piping.

Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

You might need to refresh your browser. Expecting the part to arrive next week, but I'll post pics of the others this weekend if I get a chance.

In some ways that would be better but I think combining it into the main structure will make all of it a lot more rigid. Originally the pricing was too punitive to do that, but now I suspect there's little difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wait, you meant the lower hull. Yes I did miss that! Sorted.

Aha, I see NOW what you're referring to. I thought you were referring to the actual 5 square light boxes themselves. It does appear there is a technical hitch with that part, as my lower spine is missing that platform as well. :wacko
Ps, sorry about taking so long to get back. I work late at the weekends(out gathering Wonga).

On the plus side, surely it can't be that difficult to construct a small girder box thing that looks just like the small girder box thing sitting on the top of the spine, from very small wee bits of plastic rod or brass rod?
Either that or someone whose an absolute master with this 3d malarkey thing could separate the box thing on the top spine's 3d file and post it for printing separately?
Just a couple of thoughts from someone who really does need to go to bed. RIGHT NOW:sleep

I don't thinks it would be a problem with SW or Dave as he has made his files public...we all have invested patience and understanding into this project, but a little help here and there is not bad but team work...we are here for the fun finishing one of the most iconic ships of Sci-Fi.

Cough, ahem...

I honestly do not think he would mind at all - we are not putting markups on these parts so there's no loss, and I'm sure he'd want people to be able to continue their models. If anyone has the file but is worried about doing this, send it to me and I will temporarily host it on my account. As I say, I'm pretty sure Dave won't be upset - and if he is, better for him to be upset at me. :)

Nwerke, If no one has this file, would it be possible to trim it from this STL part: https://www.shapeways.com/model/779205/stern-lower-platform.html?li=user-profile&materialId=6 and upload it? I don't have the software or know-how to do this. Of course any help would be greatly appreciated!

Direct STL link here: https://www.shapeways.com/model/download/779205

Last edited:
I didn't realise that was downloadable. Yes, done:

https://www.shapeways.com/model/295...ntenna-base.html?li=shop-results&materialId=6

Disclaimer 1: Dave, if you're unhappy about this please LMK and it is gone, immediately

Disclaimer 2: I don't know for sure this will fit the spine parts perfectly. It stands to reason that it wouldn't be very different, so it should be possible to modify prints. If you buy it, and it needs changes, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Watching the part of the movie where palomino does a flypast the cygnus. Has anyone noticed there is no lower spine antenna. The cygnus has two antenna directly beneath the top antenna either side of the command tower. There were two filming models. Both must have been different,so i'm not going to get too upset about not having a centre spine lower antenna.

Watching the part of the movie where palomino does a flypast the cygnus. Has anyone noticed there is no lower spine antenna.

There is also a scene where the camera is looking down the hull of the Cygnus and the entire Command Center is gone from the Stern platform. In another shot you can see the bottom of space. When the camera pans down to show the landing platform you can see the studio floor. ;)

Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

No Command Center... So where are these guys?
cap00.jpg

How many transit tubes does this thing have?
cap02.jpg

The bottom of space scene is at 17:03 - 17:07. During the fly-by (just before the Palomino lands) you can see a part of the floor that does not track with the ship. It does not show up in a single screen cap.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me what the difference is in Dave's 'Fuel Modules' stern and bow? I removed them from their bags and did not pay attention to which was which. I can't see any difference but if they are the same I suspect he would have just uploaded 1 and say to print 2.

Just look at the pipe connections on top of each piece and you will see how one matches up to the central command section and the other to the upper bow section.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back