1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

PS - do you meant the mini dome that goes on top? It just slots in between the antenna framing uprights. Turn it sideways and slide it down. I hope...I don't have my frames yet! :p

domequestion.jpg

I like the idea of a 1/700 probe ship. A 1/700 Palomino would be perfect as well, to complete the final model.
Will you to inform us all ,if and when you make the probe ship (or palomino) available on your shapeways store?
Best regards,

32buds.

PS - do you meant the mini dome that goes on top? It just slots in between the antenna framing uprights. Turn it sideways and slide it down. I hope...I don't have my frames yet! :p

View attachment 419334

That's the one. Hmm, that works if the slots are 180 degrees apart but when they are 90 degrees apart there usually isn't wiggle room.

Received a bunch of stuff. Everything was perfect except one control module frame. And it was a shipping problem cause I heard the arm snap as I was trying to unwrap the bubble pak. One other arm of that same frame was also bent. Pics later.

Yup, the engines are larger than I thought they were. And the rear outboard engines are going to be a lot larger than I thought they would be.

OK, no fair! I get perfect lower stern halves and the current one is one piece with the antenna base. So now the antenna bases are in pairs? Do I need to get a couple quick before the antenna bases are part of the upper and lower spines too and gone separately altogether?

Actually I'd like the spines to have the antenna bases included but, I'd like the antenna bases to be individual, like the control module frames. Luckily I only have one to replace, if I had to get 6...

I'm gonna have words with Shapeways about the lower observatory base being printable in FUD and the upper not. Is anything going to go under the observatory domes?

Boy, I'm glad I got the front engines in FUD or something equally slick or greasy, sliding something grainy like WSF between the engines and the WSF mounts for the reversing engines would be a scary proposition. Hopefully the WSF main engines and the FUD main engine mounts will be no harder. Which reminds me, I give up, how do I tell the starboard from the port main engine mount?

Haha - dang, because mine are a mess. I really needed to redo those parts for mine, so thought I might as well copy Dave's part layout. Don't worry, I'm not going to add the spine ones, they have a solid floor which is part of the spine frame. I'd have no way to insert the transparent parts otherwise.

I can re-upload the 3-part version any time, just let me know when you're ready to order.

I haven't decided about an interior for the observatory domes. I will probably come up with something, but it will likely be very simple and schematic only. Just some vage lumpy stuff to create an outline viewable through the frosted dome.

Oh who am I kidding. It'll probably end up with workstations, an entire crew of humanoids and maybe Ol Bob to boot. lol.

Yeah fit is a problem with the engine mounts. I'm going to have to shave mine a little; unfortunately I didn't get around to working any tolerances into the parts.

The main engine mounts differ slightly in the spacing of the 3 main truss frames. The two which are closer together are the front ones. It is only about a 4mm difference so you'll want to measure.

Thanks,

My next Shapeways order will be on or about 12 Jan, I'll let you know.

Are all the engine caps OK to get? They all have this caveat that says best to wait.

Are you happy with the Pinshape main engines? Given the main mounts and the engines just how do the heat shields get mounted?

I had to clean out the fuel holes in the forward engines but then they fit perfect. The reversing engines did slide into the mounts from the back just perfect. Tapping worked better than pushing.

Engine caps are fine AFAIK. I posted that message on everything I enabled during the panic.

Yes the Pinshape mains are good. The heat shields have small sockets which acccept bosses on the inside of the triple truss parts of the engine mounts. With the engines in place it should all become a fairly firm unit which can then be glued directly to the underside of the upper decks.

Good to hear re the front engines! Ta for the pics, damn, looks pretty nice in FUD. With the platforms there are some small sprues to remove before joining the halves. I'll post a pic calling them out.

Yes please on the sprue. I don't see it. I see the double braces at the junction but I don't see any difference that says I'm sprue and he's not.

When Shapeways says these are the available materials for something do they give any reasons other than size? I've reviewed their ifs ands or buts and I see no reason the front engine heat shields cannot be done in FUD.

Ordered the engines from Pinshape. They don't take Paypal so this is just a test.

Do you have any intentions for lighting the engines?

Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

The sprues are all tie rod sized (round .85mm) rather than main girder sized (square 1.1mm), if that's any help, but I'll get a pic up tonight. Sorry, had a big weekend. :)

- - - Updated - - -

SW doesn't give much detail, 'thin walls' sometimes but that's usually not a 100% barrier. Pinshape sometimes says a part is going to be too fragile in a given material. Part of the problem is that everything needs to be able to survive cleaning, whether it's WSF, FUD or whatever. They all come with some level of manual cleaning requirement.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I'll probably pop an LED in each engine.

Re: 1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

Finally:

Lower right.jpg Upper right.jpg Upper left.jpg

Sprues in magenta on lower right, upper right and upper left pieces. There are none on the lower left piece.

- - - Updated - - -

Did I ever post this? Too bad if so, here it is again. :p

V4 NM0109.jpg

Thanks for the sprue info, didn't catch that at all.

That's a great pic of the the whole banana. My new wallpaper.

I'm confused with the piping. I was understanding the B tanks and piping were on the port side and the A tanks and piping were on the starboard side. You've got B starboard aft piping listed. Shouldn't it be either A starboard aft piping or B port forward piping (from the crossover locations)?

Last edited:
NP. :) The tank modules are reversed, fore and aft. At the stern you have the A module port and the B module starboard. Forward, it's the opposite - B module is port, A module is starboard.

Note that many published shots are from transparencies, which are easily flopped, so there are mirror image pics that confuse the issue. Same in the film itself - several key sequences were deliberately flopped left-right, presumably for composition reasons.

This all caused MUCH head-scratching for Dave and I early on, but we have it worked out thoroughly now. :)

Ok, so one of the B fuel modules is port forward and is starboard aft, correct?

Any more of the whole ship pics to share? Especially showing the tanks and the piping.

Yes.

A few, but none that show all the piping - I only finished that recently. I have a fairly overpowered PC but these renders still take hours to do with all the fruit. I'll try and do some more schematic type renders soon.

I've been working up the design for the armature and will post renders of that a bit sooner. Unfortunately so far I'm having no luck turning up cutters who can handle bevels. If I have to use printed clear joiner pieces, that could add a few hundred bucks to the total cost. :\

My Pinshape main engines are on their way. They are sitting in French Customs at the Paris Airport. This is going to be interesting. I wonder if I will get some neat French postage stamps too? Naaaah.

I'm looking forward to seeing the drawings. The latest V4 drawings I have still show the A tanks both on the starboard side. Actually it looks like B tanks port aft in the drawing above.

My replacement parts arrived this morning! Thanks again Nwerke for the antennae boxes. They fit great! I am now ready to get the light boxes laser cut. The Bow box should be pretty simple as it is just a cube with no odd angles so I will measure that up and get it cut also.

This weekend I will try my hand at creating the antennae arrays in 3D Studio.

Almost there! :D

Anyone have any news about the forward section of the armature for the 1/700 version? I thought someone other than Dave was at work on it...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back