Plastic Sheets, Which Plastic to use

archtk

Hello guys,

I would like to make some plastic models, basically a pulse rifle 1:1 Scale and a studio scale millenium falcon.

My question is which plastic sheet is best for model making. I found a plastic manufacturer that sells ABS or HIPS, Styrene and Sintra or Fomex (Foam PVC)
Ives used ABS and Styrene before but which one do you guys recommend.

I think it should be strong easy to work, glue and paint but most of all one that wont warp or come unstuck at the seams.

Ive done architectural models before but I dont remember the plastic but over time the models warp terribly.

Advise guys appreciated.

HIPS. Easy to get, comes in various thicknesses, easy to cut, easy to sand easy to glue. However other plastics can also be used in order to strengthen the model or to provide the inner framework or supports. Metal piping, or structures will also need to be used if building something very large in order to resist sagging over time.

TazMan2000

This is a 4 years old thread bumped by a guy doing an advertisement (link) of his website/company...

MOD EDIT: Spammer post deleted... also found another spammer in the thread from 2012, thanks for the heads up.

This is a 4 years old thread bumped by a guy doing an advertisement (link) of his website/company...

MOD EDIT: Spammer post deleted... also found another spammer in the thread from 2012, thanks for the heads up.

well...that's disappointing.....I didn't even look at the dates....:facepalm......the info is still valid I think....HIPS is a good choice for modelling;)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back