Pepakura Viewer 3 for Silhouette CAMEO

RaideR6672

I didn't know where to post this, so my apologies that this may be in the wrong forum. I also could not locate the existing CraftROBO thread that is out there somewhere.

Anyways, in the process of getting a friend started into the prop building world, I found out something very cool!

On April 4th 2012, Tamasoft released a new version of Pepakura Viewer 3 for Silhouette CAMEO! Many builders out there have been trying to work with the CraftROBO and other plotters/cutters, and have had some issues with compatibility (and for us in the US, problems with Letter sized paper).

I have a CAMEO and tried out this new updated software and it works like a charm! There's no more rigging software up, or installing outdated drivers, everything works out of the box! I personally will never hand cut my pep files again!

If anyone wants to see it in action, let me know and I can make a video. Good luck to everyone out there!

rensole, the craftrobo looks like a printer, but it cuts out the pieces. I remember there being a lot of steps involved in getting it done. I'd love to see how the new one works!

Im interested in seeing a video too...
My first thought when I saw the Cameo... Nice to see Pep Designer jump on this!

-Skyler101

So do you print first then place the paper into the Cameo?
Yup. You print everything from the Pepakura Designer, then set it up in Pepakura Viewer for Cameo, put your printed pages into the cameo and WALA! it cuts it for you! (there's a few more steps, but you get the idea) Basically 30 minutes of prep can save you HOURS of cutting a pep piece.

If I had some extra money to spend, I'd be all over this like a rat on a cheeto.

Does it work for the Silhouette SD as well? I have never tried any pep but this could get me and the kids started on a project for the summer.

Yup. You print everything from the Pepakura Designer, then set it up in Pepakura Viewer for Cameo, put your printed pages into the cameo and WALA! it cuts it for you! (there's a few more steps, but you get the idea) Basically 30 minutes of prep can save you HOURS of cutting a pep piece.

And not to mention sore fingers and back (I would always sit on the floor and use scissors to cut my stuff out.)

Does it work for the Silhouette SD as well? I have never tried any pep but this could get me and the kids started on a project for the summer.

I believe the Silhouette SD was the same product as the CraftROBO, just a US version. There is a tutorial out there on how to use the SD with Pepakura Viewer for CraftROBO. Here's a link: Cutting out your Pepakura Creations using the Silhouette SD - YouTube

The problem with SD is for some reason you had to trick the program into thinking you were using A4 sized paper if you are using Letter sized.

I am not sure if the new software is backwards compatible or not... I never had an SD.

Thanks for the vid Davy... can you put up some pics of the parts cut out?

This makes things rather interesting for pep builders! :)

-Skyler101

will any other cutters work? as there are a few on the market but finding a CAMEO or an SD (the only ones i have been told will work with pepakura designer) for less than $300 anyway is proving a problem

will any other cutters work? as there are a few on the market but finding a CAMEO or an SD (the only ones i have been told will work with pepakura designer) for less than $300 anyway is proving a problem

Tamasofts website says no other plotters/cutters are supported. They are expensive, so unless you are a seriously hardcore prop builder, or in my case, your wife is really into scrap booking, it may be hard to fork out the cash.

I have a Silhouette SD and we now have a Pep Viewer from CraftROBO that works great.
I just posted in the Pepakura sticky thread about the A4/Letter trick in case you're interested to read my results.

Also I just noticed in the video that the Cameo is much much slower to cut than the SD .. or my machine is on crack or something! :)

Is the SD faster, but only takes smaller paper?
Im interested in getting a cutter to work on some pep, cutting stuff out takes the fun out of the project...

-Skyler101

I don't know too much about the other machines, I barely know about mine! I basically saw it here, in Surreal Studios' thread and had to get it!!

It litterally saves you hundreds of hours of cutting!!! I always cut on 8.5/11 card stock, but its tray is much larger than that .. so I'm not sure if I could or not use bigger paper .. I probably will never try it as I'm quite happy with my current setup!

Now, my machine is certainly faster than what I saw in the video .. dunno how this can be possible. And btw, I bought it used on Ebay for 180$ shipped to me in Montreal, from Ontario. Quite a deal if you ask me!

I've got my Cameo today, and I've tried cutting with both the Pep for Cameo, and from the DXF files in Studio. Neither is perfect. Was hoping you could help. I unfolded Sharkman for letter, and made sure the tab numbers were on. When I export it to DXF the numbers are gone when I open them in Studio. I printed a test sheet, and it was pretty accurate. Good enough that if it had the edge IDs I'd be done.

So I tried using Pep Viewer for Cameo (which took some doing, but that's for another post), and the accuracy of the cuts gets worse going right to left. The shapes on the far right are cut right on the line, but as the cutter moves to the shapes on the left it seems to get off by several pixels. Maybe the distance between registration marks is off? PVfC says width=195 length=259, and I put those numbers into the controller setup.

Here is a closeup of the right side (good cuts):
1da7ed50.jpg

And here is the other side (bad cuts):
49658634.jpg

Have you had this problem? I don't know how to make the edge ID show up in the DXF, or make Viewer cut right across the whole page.

I was able to solve the accuracy problem by adjusting the width measurement in the distance between registration marks. PVfC says the width should be 195mm for this model, but I had to bump it up 196mm.

It's now cutting just as (or more) accurately than I can by hand. It takes about three minutes to cut a page of very complex shapes. Time to get pepping!!

Here is a shot of the output, still stuck to the Cameo sticky mat:
a517340a.jpg

I'll make a separate thread on what I had to do to get Windows 7 to recognize the Cameo controller as a printer driver.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back