32" Falcon WIP *update - Docking Corridors Started* 17/03

Re: 32" Falcon WIP

Back on this now after clearing some major space in my work area, I hope to have some new photos to share soon...:thumbsup

eh up buddy,welcome to the mad house!!!this build will test ya patience,i`m 3/4 years in and still goin.i`m buildin the legs at the mo and there must to over 3 hundred bits in each one...so i can feel ya pain mym8..peza

Hi mate

I've been following your build it looks amazing! Right now I am having trouble with the skins, I have cut a template but it just wont sit flush, when I tape it down to test fit it lifts up and warps, the test piece is 0.75mm styrene which is what I was planning to use to skin, any advice guys?

Here is what I mean, you can probably just see the section lifting, as if the ribs aren't all flush, but they are :facepalm :lol

DSCF0682.jpg

Re: 32" Falcon WIP *update - advice on skins please*

I'm now considering using 8 'pizza' slices per side hoping that'll offer a bit more control when it comes to getting the form right, any tips are gratefully appreciated!

Last edited:

Sorry I can't offer good advice as I gave yet to get to this point on my build. However, I planned on using 4 pieces. I imagine the least amount of pieces, the easier to control the shape. Either way, it would seem that as long as the ribs are good, the amount of sheets on tip shouldn't matter too much.....as long as you don't mind covering uo more seams.

Your build is looking awesome, BTW.

Joe

Love seeing this model grow from sheet and ribs each time, never tire of it, keep it coming!

lee

Thanks guys, I think I've got it to work out now, after speaking to Phil I have just lightly sanded the tops of the ribs to make double sure they are as flush as they can be, then I taped down my test skin but used a shed load more tape, there are a few small parts where it lifts but once I am using the glue as well as the tape I am confident it will work......honestly :confused

Yeah, maybe running a flat sanding block, lightly along the ribs, id bet any burring will show a lift in the plate, then CA is your friend, should lock it down hard......wish you well with this, always get a buzz, and a bit of envy when i see a new styrene Falcon hull :lol.

lee

@Lee yes that is exactly what I used, a medium grit sanding block, worked a treat. For me there aren't enough hours in the day that I could spend on this, working 7-5:30 at my 'real job' doesn't leave me with much energy on most days though

@Lee yes that is exactly what I used, a medium grit sanding block, worked a treat. For me there aren't enough hours in the day that I could spend on this, working 7-5:30 at my 'real job' doesn't leave me with much energy on most days though

I know what you mean bud, just got done with my new model/hobby area so im good to go now, but having a few weeks away from it all has made me wonder how i did fit in any building, just busy all the darn time, man chores :lol, i swear, im buying the wife a Dewalt for Christmas!

eh up buddy,the trouble i had was getting all the skins to meet up with the ribs was a nightmare.if i every build one again i`d make the ribs really think and the skins i`d make into 8ths with filler in the gaps mym8!
but hey that`s just me!...peza

The problem is that you're trying to make a flat, fairly rigid piece of plastic conform to a compound curve. This is physically impossible. Using smaller "pie segments" will help lessen the distortion, however.

Yes I can't see how it would ever be a perfect fit, but having seen others do it in the past I know it can be done, at this stage it is just the basic structure, loads more to go on top of it. Saying that though I am still tempted to make it into 8 pieces per side. A good nights sleep will help, I will no doubt be dreaming of compound curves, hopefully of the Kate Beckinsale variety

8 'pizza' slice would be my recommendation. When I attempted it I tried in quarters and had the same issues. Even rebuilt all ribs and ended the same with the effect

Hey Joe,

Looks pretty good to me..
If you add a styrene strip around the center glued to the ribs, that'll give a bit of strength to the ribs,..stop them moving from side to side, but will also give more space to tape the skin down..

Sorta like this
Ribsshrunk2.jpg

Then you can tape that sucker down all the way round..like this..
Skinshrunk3.jpg

It also gives a slightly more level area at the top of the dish for the turret to sit on..

If there's still a bit of bounce in the skins in the center area, you can fix that when you cut the pits out and add walls to them, that also helps to hold the skins down..
Like this..
pitdetail1sml.jpg

Lovin your work mate, it's comin on a treat :cool:thumbsup

Cheers

Phil

Cheers Phil, I am much more confident that I can make it work now, I will do what you said and fit a ring in to the centre of the ribs, it will definitely help when taping down the skins, thanks for all comments and suggestions guys

Ok now I am considering using 1mm styrene for the skins, I think it might give a bit of extra stability as the .75 is very flexible and I wouldn't want it warping at a later date, hmm lots of thinking involved in this build.

Well I bit the bullet and have started fitting the skins, I am sticking with .75mm thickness and doing it in 8 segments per side, got 2 fixed down over the weekend, another 2 tonight hopefully, I will try and get some photos up later

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back