Painting fake Rust

Tyler Brown

So, I've been looking around youtube and some other web sites for some good techniques in painting large areas of fake rust on walls.

I was wondering if anyone had any resources or tips on how to make it come out looking great. I've got a room I need to do next week and I'm not going to have a lot of prep time to get warmed up.

Any thoughts/ideas/video links others have found useful would be great.

cheers,

I use an enamel rust paint, thinner, glue stick and craft sand. I start by painting the rust color on then smudge it up with thinner. Then after it drys I rub the glue stick on and throw some yellow/red/brown craft sand on it, dusting off the excess. I used the technique on a Proton Pack.

I use an enamel rust paint, thinner, glue stick and craft sand. I start by painting the rust color on then smudge it up with thinner. Then after it drys I rub the glue stick on and throw some yellow/red/brown craft sand on it, dusting off the excess. I used the technique on a Proton Pack.

This is a good technique.
There are two things to look at with recreating rust: color and texture.
Be inventive and look for ways to create texture using inexpensive items. The color can be achieved using a number of enamel paints or by mixing your own out of inexpensive acrylic colors found at AC Moor or Michaels.

It would also help you to look at real rusted metal. Look around your hometown and find an industrial site or bridge that has rust. Take photos and study how the rust looks in color and texture and come up with some ways to recreate that - there are no rules so anything goes so long as the end result looks great.

got a pic of this?

for the little bit that i have done, i used a dremmel to put some holes into the mask. then i just used a variation of sponged on reds, oranges, and yellows to get the rust color.

here's a close up of my best one to date.

EDIT: i just realized you asked about doing walls, sorry. my technique is not really helping.

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

Last edited:
If you want to go the easy route just get some red iron oxide powder or other off the shelf powder pigments. Some spray adhesive or even sticky hair spray will hold it on a wall. You can get lots of depth by blending colors. For texture use, as mentioned, sand in latex paint, then go over it with the rust tones.

This was my work bench area after a day doing rusted items with various iron oxide powders. The styrene surface is smooth and the colors have been wiped down but thats rust color.
2nti81u.jpg

I did some decent rust using actual iron filler powder. You get the texture and a flaking effect too and can build it up in layers. It looks real because it is.

For a wall you could use spray mount where you want the rust, dust on the iron powder. Then spritz with water (or vinegar if you're in a rush). Then seal.

Here is my WALL•E that I used the process on...

http://www.therpf.com/f9/wip-1-2-scale-wall-e-56368/index5.html

DSC04523.jpg

DSC04517.jpg

2213847.jpeg

0892504.jpeg

N

Last edited:
I've used the iron coating in that youtube video before, but at that price it's most suited to props than walls. I like robstyles idea of the iron powder and some kind of spray adhesive. Should allow a pretty good colouring and smaller outlay.

you can also use a cut up chip brush and some bondo lightly sanded down to get a good texture for a base. Just dab it on in some light spots.

Hi xdmray, anywhere that sells polyurethane and polyester resin is likely to sell metal filler powders. Iron is the cheapest.

Is it already that rust color, or does it need the vinegar trick to change the color? Very good work - that looks incredible and I hope to work on a project that needs some rust effect!

I used schalc, comes in chip form. Like a bag a paint chips. You desolve it and add it to a spray bottle. This is the schlac on a haunted attraction I built in China.

You spray it on, then spray again over the top right a way, and it starts to clump up, run and drip.
You will actually get several layers, the bottom one will just look like the wall is wet. Then when you spray it again, it turns brown, another layer will even be darker...and will clump up giving a 3d rust effect.
mike

+1 on pics of this please , I'm intending to put a fair amount of rust on my pack, would like to see another one

i am wit hvos on this i have used iron filler powder or even iron fillings for the heavy rust effect. i have also take steel wool and put in water for a few weeks and it desolves. them let the water evaporate to make a concentrate. then i brush it on. it makes great running stains or if you put it on fake welds and then let it dry and rub it off you get the effect that in the valleys of the weld there is rust but there is wear on the peaks.

Q

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back