Raise Titanic Movie Model

I'm amazed the author of the novel didn't try to get it but from what i heard he was so unhappy with the movie he wanted nothing to do with it.

That really is sad to see it in such a state, which then makes me ask how is the model made by Gene for James Cameron being treated?

I know shortly after the movie was released it was on display at Fox Studios here in Sydney. I'm not sure about where it is now though.

It's in Malta. Alan, why didn't you go get it, you coulda found the room for it--would take a heck of
a big shelf to display it though!

Yeah, that was a magnificent model, could have been a wonderful display somewhere, a pity and
a shame it was left to rot!

Shylaah

Last edited:
Meh.

As a model of the Titanic, it was pretty inaccurate.

As a piece of movie memorabilia, it's a side-note in movie history - at best.

There are better large-scale models of the Titanic floating around - including those shown at the Titanic exhibit. Maybe it's just left-over "spring cleaning" mindset, but I guess I just don't know what the value in keeping it around is... especially since there ARE other models.

I know one of the guy's who worked on the original model..... Shame to see it rot away. Alan must have at least a davit or something surely......

That really is sad to see it in such a state, which then makes me ask how is the model made by Gene for James Cameron being treated?

I know shortly after the movie was released it was on display at Fox Studios here in Sydney. I'm not sure about where it is now though.

There was a clip from an upcoming special that looked like they had it in the background, looked like it's in good condition

I remember this film and the days when we didn't even know where the sunken Titanic lied. As I recall, it was a a big production with Alec Guiness in it. A shame they let them rot, but a 55' model is a heck of a thing to try to store, especially from a not-beloved movie.

I know one of the guy's who worked on the original model..... Shame to see it rot away. Alan must have at least a davit or something surely......

There's no point in saving it now... It's too far gone and not economically worth restoring. You might as well spend the money on a new replica!

I don't think that anyone besides Malta studio personnel knows what's happened to the model for sure...

There was a post earlier this year on Wikipedia -- a "reliable" source of info if there ever was on the Internet! -- that the model had finally been moved to be scrapped but then the entry on "Raise the Titanic" (the movie) was later changed to say that the model had just been moved to another area on the island that was closer to the sea.

Just been made aware of this thread :wacko

Oh my goodness ! I haven't seen that since I was around 12 ! Didn't know it was even still around.

Don't take it too harshly on the facility, they don't really care :(, much like all the major studios with iconic props rotting in their back yards :(. Seems to be the universal curse I'm afraid.

Pity is that say, I were to go and offer to buy it, they'd probably turn me down. Reason ? Go figure :wacko They just want things like this on 'show' I guess, but would not be willing to spend a dime on maintenance.

I remember the last time I went to that place at the time, they still had the head of the whale from 'Orca, (the killer whale)'

You guys have peeked my curiousity after all these years. I think I'll drive down there one of these days and see what else I can find.

I'll snap a few pics :)

Ah - found it...

Mediterranean Film Studios - Sections

Mediterranean Film Studios, Il-Kalkara, Malta - Google Maps

I'm guessing (GUESSING!) it is the long narrow shape dead center in this image:

raise-titanic-movie-model-mfs-001.jpg-90277d1334070686

Last edited:
OK, now you've gone and made me reeeeeeeeeally curious Rob :lol

I'll go as soon as humanly possible, although I don't know when exactly. It's right at the other tip of the country for me you know. Takes guts for a trip like that.

Yep, with little traffic, a whole half-hour drive at least :lol

It wasn't a very good movie. If it was a hit it might have been better cared for.

And when they raised it, in one big piece, it was in remarkable condition for being underwater all that time.
There was plenty of testimony it broke up. I guess they figured we'd never see the real one.

I loved that movie, plus it's got Alec Guiness in it.

It was not proved that it was broken up at the time the book was written.

It was not proved that it was broken up at the time the book was written.

Not helping was the fact that the commission of inquiry actually found that the ship *didn't* break up, IIRC - pretty much discounting the testimony of two survivors who saw it do so. Theories for this included face-saving/damage-control for the British shipbuilding industry.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back