FLCL - Haruko's Vespa SS 180 Scooter

Re: FLCL Vespa - It's FINISHED!!

Nice to see you finished what is now the best replica FLCL Vespa yet!

All you gotta do now is convince your girlfriend to start dressing like Haruhara Haruko. :thumbsup

-Carson

Wow...way to make the rest of us look bad. And I thought making a Wasp breast plate out of foam for my wife was good. That is a fantastic build. Also a tip from someone who has worked in picture framing for a year and a half for his father in law that has been doing it for 20+ years: Go with a high quality, heavy weight paper for your posters. Canvas prints are really for duplicating painting, and when you put photos or poster style artwork on it the grain from the canvas just distracts from the art. Print shop owners like to try and push the canvas because it makes them more money, but your work will be better represented on quality photo paper.

Re: FLCL - Haruko's Vespa

Got this accomplished between yesterday and today.

barend.jpg

Cklinejr made some intense modifications to the right control switch to make it work with the turn signal, and AJ Quick has been a lifesaver with letting me use his workshop for pretty much everything for the last week or so.

Vidya!
FLCL Vespa - turn signal install - YouTube

I was glad it worked.

When I was dremeling out the contacts on the back of that original 50 year old switch I looked at Kevin and said - "somewhere there is a Vespa purist who is crying right now"

Lol, are you guys members of the modernvespa forum? Those guys would be banging their heads against a wall right now seeing this. I love this project though, love the show and love the scoot. As someone who used to sell motorcycle turn signals and accessories, those barend signals for vespas and scooters are expensive!

Very cool project. I thought this was worth mentioning, the closing credits of the show feature a stop-motion sequence with a Super Sport mocked up like the show piece. It has grey colored grips with the handlebar signals.

Very cool project. I thought this was worth mentioning, the closing credits of the show feature a stop-motion sequence with a Super Sport mocked up like the show piece. It has grey colored grips with the handlebar signals.

Yep yep, it is completely contrary to how it looks in the cartoon, which is what we were going for. The only similarity between the lie action SS and the animated one are the bar-end lights and the P! On the front. When drawn, the grips are black, it has a front fin, and only sometimes has an "ignition lock" on the headpiece, though there is NEVER a key in the ingition :rolleyes

Yep yep, it is completely contrary to how it looks in the cartoon, which is what we were going for. The only similarity between the lie action SS and the animated one are the bar-end lights and the P! On the front. When drawn, the grips are black, it has a front fin, and only sometimes has an "ignition lock" on the headpiece, though there is NEVER a key in the ingition :rolleyes

Well, what I was thinking was, it seems unlikely that they would go through the trouble that you had to go through adding the bar-end lights. You have to factor in the budget for the show and considering this was only for the closing credits, it seems more likely that they would have rented something and added the 56-56 license plate. Which would explain the lack of the fin on the front tire.

Also if you look at this image it has grey handlegrips.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u134/Boomerjinks/vespa/flclcover.jpg

I'm just wondering if there's a Super Sport model which has these grey grips and handlebar lights stock.

Im betting someone had the scooter and they modeled it for the show, NOT that they built a replica for the end credits.

Im betting someone had the scooter and they modeled it for the show, NOT that they built a replica for the end credits.

It might even have belonged to one of the crew or creators of the show. I wouldn't put anything past this studio after making Excel Saga :lol

Here are a few more screencaps from the show.

vlcsnap-2012-03-03-19h43m33s115.png

vlcsnap-2012-02-14-11h30m31s125.png

Here's another image of the scooter used in the end credits.
o9B6Ul.jpg

Different twist grips, no front fin. The P! looks like paper that was stuck to the legshield just for the shoot.

Also if you look at this image it has grey handlegrips.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u134/Boomerjinks/vespa/flclcover.jpg

I'm just wondering if there's a Super Sport model which has these grey grips and handlebar lights stock.

The above image was drawn by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto and is not a screencap from the show itself.

He also drew these, and the Vespa never appeared with any of the godawful mirror setups in any of the episodes, so the art is just full of creative liberties taken by the artist.

9nJjR.jpg

DSbix.jpg

The scooter I bought originally came with grey grips, but I replaced them to be accurate to the show. Bar-end lights and the left-hand turn signal switch are native to Rally scooters, not Super Sports.

Last edited:

That's what I was thinking. It seems unlikely that they would go to the trouble of mocking up the handlebar lights to be show-accurate, but not bother with the wheel fin or with making a better logo for the leg shield.

They had to get the idea somewhere, so maybe someone on the production team had the scooter and they used that as a reference. But then that dosen't explain away the handlebar lights. Maybe the owner did that modification?
I get stuck thinking about stupid crap like this for hours.

Still questing to find the perfect location in Denver for an all-in-one photograph with power lines, a bridge, a river, and that elusive yellow sky!

flcl_carsplay___haruko__s_vespa_super_sport_180_by_boomerjinks-d4yryg8.jpg

flcl_carsplay___haruko__s_vespa_super_sport_180_by_boomerjinks-d4yryeq.jpg

If you don't mind me asking how much did this process cost to create and it appears you have obvious skill in the matter and strong resources and connections. What would you imagine the cost to a normal person without these connection more or less the retail cost of the creation of such a Vespa in the style of Fooly Cooly.

you did a amazing job, a masterpeice! But is there a purpose of the front fin or just for show, if the scooter did have all those mirrors in the anime, would you have added those and any chance of making Canti?

And I love FLCL, such a crazy, insane show, just wish there was more than 6 episodes.

you did a amazing job, a masterpeice! But is there a purpose of the front fin or just for show, if the scooter did have all those mirrors in the anime, would you have added those and any chance of making Canti?

And I love FLCL, such a crazy, insane show, just wish there was more than 6 episodes.

Thanks! As far as I can tell, the fin has no useful purpose in the show - it never does anything. And it definitely doesn't serve a purpose in the real world other than to give me a scare when rolling up on a curb while using the front brake at the same time. Give a scary little "PING" sound.

If the scooter had all those mirrors in the show, I probably would not have built this scooter, that stuff looks pretty goofy to me. I debated making a Canti helmet, but there's no way I could do that and have it be at all safe to wear.

Here's another photo dump -
flcl_haruko__s_vespa_super_sport_180_by_boomerjinks-d50fltp.jpg

flcl_haruko__s_vespa_super_sport_180_by_boomerjinks-d50fmft.jpg

flcl_haruko__s_vespa_super_sport_180_by_boomerjinks-d50flvs.jpg

HDR is tacky to me, but I thought this had some nice colors...
flcl_haruko__s_vespa_super_sport_180_by_boomerjinks-d50h9gc.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back