FLCL - Haruko's Vespa SS 180 Scooter

Finally got around to replacing the leg shield beading, MUCH better look! Also, found a great place for a photo that I can't believe hadn't occurred to me until now!

flcl_cosplay___haruko_s_vespa_by_boomerjinks-d6d0gy8.jpg

Went on a 60-mile ride last night in search of the massive sunflower fields out near Denver International Airport. Lesson learned: If you're going to take a Vespa thirty miles out of town for a picture with something, might be a good idea to take a regular car out there first to see if that thing you want to take a picture with is even out there. I guess they plant the sunflowers every other year or something. Too bad, all that yellow would have been AMAZING!

Not wanting to leave empty-handed, I took a few back roads up to the airport to get another set of pictures I've been waiting years to get!

CLICK FOR HI-RES, WALLPAPER SIZE!

Last edited:
I signed up literally to just comment on this one thread (although I found a community that will be interesting in my weird creations/republications that most of my friends think is a waste of time/money in the process ;)). I actually came across this thread/site as I was looking for information on the original paint color of the Vespa as seen in the ending credits of FLCL (I don't know what color you ended up with, but if you happen to still has the information lying around that would be great; we were able to read color data off of a few officially licensed Furi Kuri products but they vary). I love all of the aftershots as well ($50k well spent IMO) and the amusing thing is that it's actually better than the Vespa shown in the live-action shots in that it works (on the Japanese commentary, the director talks about how it was actually his and it was more or less a dead machine; the original ending was not actually suppose to be stop-motion but that was the result because the darn thing didn't run! :p).

I signed up literally to just comment on this one thread (although I found a community that will be interesting in my weird creations/republications that most of my friends think is a waste of time/money in the process ;)). I actually came across this thread/site as I was looking for information on the original paint color of the Vespa as seen in the ending credits of FLCL (I don't know what color you ended up with, but if you happen to still has the information lying around that would be great; we were able to read color data off of a few officially licensed Furi Kuri products but they vary). I love all of the aftershots as well ($50k well spent IMO) and the amusing thing is that it's actually better than the Vespa shown in the live-action shots in that it works (on the Japanese commentary, the director talks about how it was actually his and it was more or less a dead machine; the original ending was not actually suppose to be stop-motion but that was the result because the darn thing didn't run! :p).

thats some killer info there...i didn't know the one at the end was dead machine thats why it was stop motion lol that's crazy funny

That thing is stunning and those photos are be-a-utiful :) FLCL is one of the most random anime's i've ever seen, next to Excel Saga...

on the Japanese commentary, the director talks about how it was actually his and it was more or less a dead machine; the original ending was not actually suppose to be stop-motion but that was the result because the darn thing didn't run! :p).

I had a friend visiting with an Indiana Jones motorcycle this weekend who had never seen FLCL, and he wanted to know the background of the show, my vespa, and the build process. After a while, we ended up watching a few clips from the show and I actually recalled seeing that the bike in the end credits was inoperable, but when we watched it I noticed that the rider is actively shifting through gears. The speedometer doesn't indicate any speed (neither does mine since it isn't hooked up, maybe another semi-intentional detail haha!) but it made me think about the tale. Gotta wonder if the story about it not running is true, or if the GAINAX crew actually had the attention to detail to make sure the bike was in the proper supposed gear in each frame!

Happened upon a pretty cool piece of fan art recently.

flcl_by_genzoman-d6zhqt7.jpg

Amazingly detailed, top-notch work.

The vespa caught my eye in particular, especially the extra-thin chrome trim around the legshield. Then I realized the angle was straight from one of my photos.
PAtKBRM.gif

It always feels extra gratifying when someone uses your fan-made amateur replica as a reference for their piece of art.

Guitar is in progress thanks to AJ Quick. Hopefully I'll have the guitar and the license plate done in the next month.

Also, finally got around to hitting another detail.
ZwVkyDE.jpg

I do not have high hopes for its ability to withstand engine temperatures, so lets just call this a test, shall we?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back