FLCL - Haruko's Vespa SS 180 Scooter

That is absolutely fantastic! The whole time I was looking through this thread, the song Ride on Shooting Star kept going through my head!! This anime really brought back some cool memories...

Well done, sir. Well done.

So we've got that scooter. I took my wife shopping for helmets and she settled on a sparkly purple 3/4 with rose-tinted visor that she's likely going to cover with stickers or something equally cute.

Initially I really wanted to get a Simpson Diamondback helmet and just spend my days being a Fat Stig, but since those cost $500+ I had to find an alternative. She made a suggestion and I started with a new 3/4 black helmet with a goofy pattern.

o2N3B.jpg

I tried so hard to find a used helmet that I could mod, but in the end this worked. Pulled the rubber trim.
k50WW.jpg

I HATE taking something brand new and scuffing hitting it sand paper. This was almost as agonizing as when I put the drill to the roof of my brand-new Magnum in 2009, ugh.
oIaRa.jpg

Coat of blue - wetsand with 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 - repeat x3

Coat of clear - wetsand with 2000, 2500 - repeat x4

Then off to my vinyl guy!
bZrzX.jpg

e6uRG.jpg

iHD3m.jpg

Red vinyl is reflective, which I guess is redundant since if I am to wear the helmet at night I will have to switch the faceshield out for a clear one. But I rarely ride at night.

I actually need to trim the white stripe 2 inches away from the visor, and I am still debating whether or not I want a non-flip-up mirror visor. Right now the flip-up completely covers my face and jaw so I like it, but I know the simpler face shields would look closer to the actual design.

It's not supposed to be a straight-up replica or anything really worthy of the term "cosplay," but it was fun to make. It's hardly worth showing off compared so the AMAZING paint jobs and mods that people make to their helmets, but I like it.

I made an account just to ask this question, Is that "P!" painted on or is it a decal? If its a decal how the hell can i get one? I've been scouring the internet for a screen accurate decal or sticker of any kind, and cannot for the life of me find one.

HOLY. CRAP. Out of all the amazing stuff I've seen people create on this forum, this is by far the one I'm most jealous of. FLCL is one of my all-time favorite animes (next to Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing, Claymore, etc.), and I've always wanted Haruko's infamous P! Vespa.

A truly outstanding and impressive build, fantastic work! What I would give to have one of these for myself!

Early summer was pretty busy, tons of shows and even a huge comic con! The gear selector cables self-destructed in early June so the scoot had to be trucked around in the back of the Ecto and then spent a few weeks at Sportique Scooters in their intensive care shop. I got it back mid-July only for the gear selector arm (I think?) to come loose, so back in the shop it went. Getting this scooter into a reliable state after the restoration is a pain, but it's showing lots of progress.

Anyway, on to the pictures!!

laEke.jpg

mZtEr.jpg

B44lZ.jpg

ivZ4X.jpg

nbOGz.jpg

z7vyI.jpg

Paul Italiano's GOBATS scooter, which is like a MILLION times cooler than the SS180. Holy crap that thing is AMAZING.
SbNne.jpg

vk0NY.jpg

Aaaaand just for fun, me looking way too large to be on a tiny scooter.
B9jQB.jpg

where's the pictures of the wife in full cosplay on the flcl scooter?!?!? man talk about a work up and no pics........i get all the way to the end of the thread ...thinking wait for it....wait for it.....bang nothing

i love the show and would kill for that little bike....your wife is lucky to have one! :)

We've been getting some rather incredible sunsets lately due to forest fires in Washington (I think?). I've been trying to catch one for a few days and I finally succeeded.

flcl_cosplay___haruko__s_vespa_super_sport_180_by_boomerjinks-d5buwng.jpg

Finally got a picture of the Vespa with one of the newest members of Colorado Movie Cars, a real Initial D AE86!

GbO99.jpg

I'm totally okay with increasing the number of anime-related vehicles in the group. Maybe an Akira bike or... the Bebop!

The Vespa has a new winter home at Animation Is Art, a brand-new anime shop here in Denver.

yGjnb.jpg

Much better than sitting in the back of a shed for four months, don't you think?

Inconsequential update. A lot of the people in our car club have been puzzled by the Vespa for the last year, having never heard of (nor really having the inclination to watch) the series. I put this video together last night to illustrate the SS180 in action. It contain probably 95% of the shots of the scooter as they appear in the show, I know I have a few scenes missing, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic photos. How come no one in your club has heard of FLCL?! Better lend them the series then! Or get everyone together one night and watch all six episodes back to back!! :lol

Wow!!! You did an Amazing Job with this and I gotta say I'm pretty Jealous. How much did all of this cost you? It'll be a long way off before I can afford something like this but just curious.

$50,000! You have effectively shattered my dreams lol. But that's a great gift and everyone did an amazing job from where I'm standing.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back