Questions about DAS air drying clay

DarthRaggmopp

So, I now have about 2kg of White Das Air Drying Clay, But I am unfamiliar with it and Google was unhelpful. ITs this or paper mache for the Sculpting contest. If anyone have tips to add about using this clay I forgot to ask about I sure appreciate it. :lol

First about the Clay;
It is gray and turns white when drying, when I tear it it got more fiber than I'm used to. But then again we used nature clay back in my school and had to bake it.
The DAS clay feels soft, and the small bunny I made two days ago is still drying. It's in a cold room. I try to dry it slowly to reduce cracks.
On the package it says one can sand it, drill it, and paint it, ETC, when the clay have dried. I guess thats a good thing. :p

Questions;
I fear it will deform if I make a larger model, like a half size head. As it would probably need to be hollowed out?

If I have a base shape, From paper, Metal wire, plastic bags or a balloon, will it stick to it?

Can one add clay after its dried? For repairs or adding that little extra one forgot.

I have just used this same stuff to add muscle/heft to to my Superman 1:1 Mannequin. My experience of it so far is that for a small packet it seems to go quite a long way - I got the terracotta version and it dries a treat in no more than 24 hours (can even be reworked after an hour) and has stuck nicely to smooth fibreglass. Watch out for the shrinkage though - I'd say it comes down 10-15% when dry but yes indeed, you can add to it and it takes no problem. It also sands down beautifully. Be sure to keep it wet and you'll find its amazingly workable. Good stuff!

I've been using a similar stuff on Bob here n there for small stuff.
I did the inside of his mouth with it, added detail to the top edges of his jaw etc & I'm planning to use it to blend his face back in.
I find that can be reluctant to stick on some surfaces, a little water helps.
In my opinion its cheap & does the job, its easy to use, add to, sand, carve etc, if you do get cracks just fill em back up after with some more & some water to soften it up. If your using it like me with a plastic substrate it will leave a visible edge when painted so use a primer & sand it to loose the edge. I wouldn't go too thick with it, if your using it to do a bust use something to build it up on, foam, polystyrene etc. I got cracks with it being just 1/4" thick.

HTH :)

I used Das paper clay before starting using Super Sculpy .

I did the Jedi Remote over a round Toy ball. When dry i took the clay shells and used a little water on the edges and stuck them together.
The Indy Idol is Paper clay over a styrofoam core covered with alumium foil.

dsc00455vv.jpg

74500637ms5.jpg

021mn7.jpg

So, I now have about 2kg of White Das Air Drying Clay, But I am unfamiliar with it and Google was unhelpful. ITs this or paper mache for the Sculpting contest. If anyone have tips to add about using this clay I forgot to ask about I sure appreciate it. :lol

First about the Clay;
It is gray and turns white when drying, when I tear it it got more fiber than I'm used to. But then again we used nature clay back in my school and had to bake it.
The DAS clay feels soft, and the small bunny I made two days ago is still drying. It's in a cold room. I try to dry it slowly to reduce cracks.
On the package it says one can sand it, drill it, and paint it, ETC, when the clay have dried. I guess thats a good thing. :p

Questions;
I fear it will deform if I make a larger model, like a half size head. As it would probably need to be hollowed out?

If I have a base shape, From paper, Metal wire, plastic bags or a balloon, will it stick to it?

Can one add clay after its dried? For repairs or adding that little extra one forgot.

Hi, I have used DAS i's good stuff _i tend to make an armature from cardboard , paper and wire first build up a few layers of papere mache and then use a thin skin of DAS. You can add new layer to it after it dries just by weeting the dried DAS slighlty, It is very strong and used thinly very light weight. If you have a look at the link below you will see some examples of what can be done with it if you look at my postings. have fun!
Daily Sculptors Group Page | Ultimate Paper Mache

Hi, I have used DAS i's good stuff _i tend to make an armature from cardboard , paper and wire first build up a few layers of papere mache and then use a thin skin of DAS. You can add new layer to it after it dries just by weeting the dried DAS slighlty, It is very strong and used thinly very light weight. If you have a look at the link below you will see some examples of what can be done with it if you look at my postings. have fun!
Daily Sculptors Group Page | Ultimate Paper Mache

You can also see more of my work at the link below-click on the photos to see the process on You tube

Tandala Lodge B&B Phalaborwa-Wildlife Sculpture

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back