The Hobbit: Thorin Oakenshield Costume

EnfantDeGuerre

I am going to use this thread to post resources and discuss the elements of the Thorin Oakenshield costume from the forthcoming The Hobbit movie.

thorin01.jpg

The link below has a number of images I have taken from the internet which show some of the elements of the costume. (These images may be a bit slow to load). I'll embed them in the thread in time.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s107/...aca07264faaa/173bc41ee107812e0cc8169aade26bb1

So far it seems that Thorin has the following upper layers. Please feel free to discuss this and contradict any assumptions I may have made.

• Long Tunic/Long Shirt - Deep blue.
  • Leather armoured surcoat with upper sleeves - Dark blue or black or grey with scale armour on the sleeves and upper body.
  • Sleeveless surcoat - Dark blue padded velvet with embossed pattern.
  • Alternative (dress) surcoat - Dark blue padded velvet with silver geometric embroidered pattern and fur lining.
  • Cloak - Fur lined suede.

I am leaving the accoutrements such as belts, weapons, etc. for the meantime along with trousers and boots.

Last edited:
Thorin's Shirt/Tunic
thorin_shirt_01.png

thorin_shirt_02.png

thorin_shirt_03.png

thorin_shirt_04.png

thorin_shirt_05.png

thorin_shirt_06.png

Here are some pages which have patterns which could be modified to make this shirt.
http://www.reddawn.net/costume/shirt.htm
http://web.archive.org/web/20051202015812/http://www.conservation.state.mo.us/teacher/highered/crafts/craft25.htm

The shirt appears to be made of dark blue linen and seems to have a deep throat slash tied with several laces.
The shirt hangs long like a tunic and is slashed in the front, the sides and, possibly, the back. There is also a panel of fabric across the back and upper shoulders which is more of a contemporary/modern design.

Last edited:
Definitely following too! Not enough dwarf love. I actually considered making a Gimli costume back in the day, but because my bf does Legolas, that'd be REALLY creepy LOL! :lol

I wonder if he is wearing prosthetic hands/gloves to make them look thicker than human hands... I know that all the Hobbits wore fake feet.

Also that is definitely a cool shirt/tunic...very long and it looks like it is split all the way down the front and is laced to the waist, it looks like it is probably a stand up collar kind of like the ones on Elrond's robes in LOTR, I think it is also split on the sides probably to the waist. There looks like there is a gather along the sleeves and reinforcement panel along the shoulder...I have made several 18th century men's shirts and they have many of the same details. If I was going to make that I would start with a Kannick's Korner men's shirt pattern.

I wonder if he is wearing prosthetic hands/gloves to make them look thicker than human hands... I know that all the Hobbits wore fake feet.

Oh, he definitely is. In fact it looks as if some of the prosthetic ripped a little on his thumb in this pic:

thorin_shirt_04.png

Definitely following your progress. Are you going to try and have Orcrist or that sweet axe (or better yet, BOTH) 'cos that would be awesome!

I am planning on the axe only at the moment. I have my doubts that the cinema will be happy about someone walking into the movie with a sword. The axe will be a relatively easy (and harmless) prop to make. I am working on the pattern and a calico sample for the shirt/tunic at the moment. When it is done I will post it here.

my wife and i started on this costume last December but we put it on hold to finish my stormtrooper armor. now we are back on track for The Hobbit.

we made the scale mail out of sculpey and will duplicate it using resin, looking at these photos, the sleeves will be easier since there scales are only on the top of the sleeves and not wrap around under the arm. does that mean the scales on the body are only on the front and back? do the sides have any scales?

thanks for the detail photos of the under tunic, will start work on this too.

we found the fur and velvet for thorin's coat. would you know if the leather surcoat with the scale armor is black or a dark grey?

Count me in! I've been eyeing this since the first time I saw the Hobbit trailer, and having just gotten back from a movie where it ran again, I finally convinced myself that it has to happen! Definitely looking forward to casting that scale armor!

Any thoughts on the best material to attach the plates to and best method of attachment? Leather? For attachment, maybe I don't mean "best", but most feasible considering time investment vs durability.

Thanks!

So happy to see this thread, I love the look of thorin its so strong and demanding i myself started a thread on bilbos jacket from the hobbit and the art direction is wonderful. Id love to see someone do a prototype or what not.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back