The Hobbit: Thorin Oakenshield Costume

Any thoughts on the best material to attach the plates to and best method of attachment? Leather? For attachment, maybe I don't mean "best", but most feasible considering time investment vs durability.

Thanks!

we are attaching the sculpey armor plates to fleece cloth and fashioning it into a t-shirt that is open in the back, using toggles to keep it closed, it wont be visible but it will feel right

the wife and i were able to buy a lot of cheap parts for Thorin and Kili yesterday, flea market clothes make for great costumes. we spent about US$50 and got a leather coat, a velvet jacket, various shirts that can be turned into tunics, some already with hoods.

will post photos of our progress soon

i'll post the progress of the armor scales later.
right now i was wondering if anyone can help me figure out how to make the beards properly for Thorin, Kili and Fili. its hard to find liquid latex in Manila so we might have to use white glue(elmers) or a gelatin/glycerol mix to make a prosthetic appliance with the hair already embedded then use spirit gum to stick on our faces.
the main problem is that Kili will be portrayed by my wife and Fili another female friend. :p
so we'll really need to glue some hair to their face.
as for me, i can grow some facial hair but clearly not enough to look like a dwarf, the drawbacks of being asian :D

we will try out the gelatin method this weekend, i'll keep you posted.

I'm going to try Crepe hair with spirit gum for beard. Also found some human beards already made at my local halloween shop, it looks more real. However the crepe should work.

What I am having an issue with is the wig, I can't find anything that really fits. Any ideas welcome. The plates I made out of foam sheets, sealed them, painted them and weathered them. They look quite nice...not perfect but this is my first time trying to do this and I don't have a lot of time.

I find conflicting colors on the Thorin posters and pictures. It looks like a really dark blue (the entire outfit) but other times it looks like a dark black. I'm going with black for now.

Thanks for those photos! I'm working on a Bofur costume for myself and hadn't seen that pic of the undershirt.
Got the scarf well underway, well ver.2 of it, and have most all of those other parts purchased & planned out. Good luck on all the other builds!

i did a trial run of the full Thorin costume last night at the local geek fight trivia night, the theme was An Unexpected Journey. we won the game and some good friends didn't even recognize me :)

i wanted to see how the mustache and beard would hold up with me laughing, talking and doing jumping jacks (part of the game) i think it held up well for over 5 hours and only started coming off when we ate.
i used liquid latex in layers with the synthetic hairs glued flat on my face, tomorrow i'll try using spirit gum with the hair glued on end.

unfortunately it was a bit dark so we couldn't get clear photos last night.

on tuesday we will try the better method for me as thorin and my wife as Kili with a 6 0'clock shadow. hope to get good photos.

sorry, things have been so hectic here with 3 consecutive screenings:
1st the HFR 3D with the New Zealand embassy ambassador
2nd was the WB Press Screening at the IMAX 3D theater with the rest of the NZ embassy staff
3rd was a tour of three malls with sponsor block screenings.

personally, we got spoiled by the HFR since the IMAX looked blurry in some parts.
most of our photos are still all over facebook, i'll put a few here.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back