The Hobbit: Thorin Oakenshield Costume

Love your costumes.. Incredible work.. Hope you liked the film.

of course we loved the film, i've read the books at least 6 times since the early 80's while my wife read it in the 90's and she just re-read it recently. we know the changes were Peter Jackson's artistic license and i think it worked nicely.

we plan to see it again after a week or so

of course we loved the film, i've read the books at least 6 times since the early 80's while my wife read it in the 90's and she just re-read it recently. we know the changes were Peter Jackson's artistic license and i think it worked nicely.

we plan to see it again after a week or so

What did you use to make the scales on the mail?

Costumes turned out awesome! I've been tempted to make Dwalin, but the headwork, the large false skull, wig and hair work, the prosthetic nose, forearms and hands...seem daunting.

But, not impossible. At least the head part! :lol

Costumes turned out awesome! I've been tempted to make Dwalin, but the headwork, the large false skull, wig and hair work, the prosthetic nose, forearms and hands...seem daunting.

But, not impossible. At least the head part! :lol

Our Dwalin was already a large, semi-muscular and balding, he even shaved his beard and head completely to make it easier to stick the fur carpet to his head and face, we also had someone draw the tattoos on his head using liquid eyeliner. we plan to make a stamp template to make the tattoos consistent, this is similar to what Weta did for the movie Dwalin.

So what is everyone's reaction now that the first movie is out? I've been forcing myself not to get started on this costume until I was sure I would like it, rather than invest the time and money on something I'd regret making, but I think I'm even more excited to get started on this now than before!

Oneal- Did you see this photo yet? That is one of the Oscar-nominated makeup artists with Thorin -Great shot of the cloak

Last edited:
Has anyone found fabric/figured out a way to get the design on Thorin's open robe bit? I want to see about embossing some velvet since that layer looks like it could be velvet but i have no clue how id make a stamp for the geometric pattern.

I'm in the middle of my own Thorin costume, and this thread has been incredibly helpful in getting me through ny first Cosplay, so thank you all. I do have one question though, Thorin's cloak. Is it a dark blue cloak trimmed in fur, or is the pelt worn separately from the cloak?

Not really sure. It's so hard to tell from various photos and the different lighting but I want to say the fur coat part is black, and the other fabric layers underneath are different shades of dark blues. Jayn that one pictures is great showing that detail. Is that the midnight blue surcoat/jerkin layer? Also, I second using raccoon. It tends to be less expensive and fur coats on ebay are fairly easy to find and have the one pieces look he has for the trim.

As far as I know his layers from skin to outside are:

-shirt, faded/greyish blue, probably linen
-armor--metal on black suede-like cloth
-dark blue velvet tunic (this was grey velvet with the pattern that they then dyed dark blue), I don't have a good picture of the color when he's not wearing stuff over it. It also looks quilted, at least in the lower parts.
-cloak--very dark brown (looks black in many shots) leather with raccoon-looking fur trim, lining is patterned not solid. Three slits, one at center back and one to either side. Fur trim continues around edge but not up into the slits.
-He also wears sleeves that cover the area between armor and bracers. I'm making those out of wool. Not sure what they attach to. Under the bracers is some softer-looking leather.
-Pants are grey, sometimes they seem patterned and sometimes solid. Not sure what's up with them either, but you can only see them briefly in any case.

Last edited:
I've never posted here before - but here I go!
I'm going to make a fully authentic Thorin costume for my husband. We're planning on going to the premiere of the third movie in Wellington and I want to have some neat costumes to wear.
I just finished drafting the pattern for the bracers last time and I'm going to cut and tool the leather tonight! I figure if I work on it every night after the kids get to bed then in 20 months I should be done :lol
Thank you to everyone who has posted resource material on this string - it really helped me get a head start!
Wish me luck!

I've never posted here before - but here I go!
I'm going to make a fully authentic Thorin costume for my husband. We're planning on going to the premiere of the third movie in Wellington and I want to have some neat costumes to wear.
I just finished drafting the pattern for the bracers last time and I'm going to cut and tool the leather tonight! I figure if I work on it every night after the kids get to bed then in 20 months I should be done :lol
Thank you to everyone who has posted resource material on this string - it really helped me get a head start!
Wish me luck!

NICE! You should start your own build thread! I'd follow it. Hoping to start my own Thorin at some point.

Hello everybody I am new to the rpf but have been following this thread for a few months now. First off i probably won't start on my Thorin costume till after the Bluray release of the movie just so i can watch the bonus features and maybe get some reference from shots that haven't been seen yet. I have carefully studied this costume and here is everything that i can see

First layer: Dark blue shirt w/collar that almost seems like a tunic with drawstrings going up from the torso area to the neck

Second Layer- Leather plated scale armor rivited on top of a black cloth. It seems like the sleeves that are between the armor and the bracers would connect to this layer. It also looks like the plated armor goes down to the torso but the black cloth underneath opens up and continues down to his mid thigh area w/ a plated armor pattern that goes around the edges of the cloth.

Third Layer- The midnight blue surcoat w/embossed pattern (they originally used a grey surcoat that was dyed blue)

Belt- Dark black w/ plated armor dwarf design in it and very large belt buckle

Fourth Layer- Dark brown (sometimes black looking) fur lined cloak

Pants- Dark black w/ embossed pattern on the knees

Boots- Dark Brown boots fur lined from top to ankle with straps going around the leg area of boot, also has light brown or bronzeish toe plate with dwarf design on it.

Bracers- Black leather with raised pattern on it, soft leather covering underneath bracers

Now in the movie Richard wore a nose prosthetic and an eyebrow prosthetic for sure. It also looks like they wore ear prosthetic too to give them bigger ears

Hair- seems to be a half wig with extensions in the back and braided extensions coming down from the temple. He has silver hair ties in the front with dwarf pattern on them and two circular gold ties in the back.

then obviously he has the two Durin heir rings of kingship one on each middle finger

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back