Custom Power Guy/Power Girl costume

WhoKnows8701

So am looking to create this Version of Power Girl, Power Guy! It was first developed by the Gender Bent Justice League. I need this made in a month, and really have no idea how to start since I've never made a costume before. That's where I need all of your help.

I know the RPF forums is home to the best in costume production, so I figured what betted place to ask for advise.

What materials do you guys think I should use? Anything premade? I am not looking to make it exactly like this, but as close as possible.

So what do you guys think?
Advise on the Shoulder guard? Cape? Gauntlets? Boots?

cfa67b63.jpg

wait there is a power guy?

pants look like a pair of white skinny boxers, leather strap looks like a cheap leather belt, shoulder armor some sculpting and painting, boots and gloves look bought, maybe dyed. cape is thick red fabric i guess, and the belt looks like a red belt cut to size, with the sculpted buckle. there probably is a buckle or velcro etc at the back

No there isn't a power guy. They just took heroes and switched the gender. They made a Super Woman, Wonderman (Wonder woman) a guy version if power girl, ect.

An easy way would be to use foam. Check out familyman's tutorial on shoulder bells to see what I mean. Easy to make, and then you can just seal it with PVA/white glue/modpodge and then paint.

It's not every guy that could make that outfit look good, but damn! That guy does!
The Genderbent Justice League is a fun/interesting twist on the characters - curious to see how this turns out.

I'll definitely keep it updated. The guy wearing this definetly has the body for it. He's Hispanic, dark skinned, but I think he will still make it look damn good

An easy way would be to use foam. Check out familyman's tutorial on shoulder bells to see what I mean. Easy to make, and then you can just seal it with PVA/white glue/modpodge and then paint.

You can go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get a set of foam knee pads that exact shape for under $10, then seal it ModgePodge or something similar.

...this is me.

That's my costume, and for anyone interested, I actually have the step by step posted, with pictures, captions, and details, on my facebook page at facebook.com/soloroboto

Assuming WhoKnows8701 is the same person who asked me where they could get boots and gloves, and didn't bother to look at the images I have publicly available either before or after asking, I'm finding it increasingly hard to be patient ...

Normally I'm all for helping people out with this stuff (it's why I post progress shots and tutorials), but the lack of interest in any real communication is starting to get to me.

He asked my girlfriend (Kit Quinn, who is our Super Ma'am) first, and she told him to ask me. I wasn't asked specific questions about how to make things, or for advice, or given any sense that this person had any idea at all what they were doing - just this:

"I am replicating the power guy costume uses for your genderbent justice league group. I am having a hard time finding suitable blue boots and gloves/gauntlets used for the power guy suit do you know where I could find some similar to the ones used?"

After responding that I'd made mine from scratch, and telling them I had photos on my business page, the conversation ended (I didn't provide a link - it's publicly visible on my personal page - and I expect people to figure out AT LEAST that much before I invest my time explaining things). He did send me a friend request, but I don't make a habit of accepting people of whom I have no knowledge, and no friends in common.

It's also a little... weird to be asked how to copy an original costume. Not offensive, just, strange. While I don't own the idea, I did originate it. It'd be nice to be shown the courtesy of at least asking how I felt before being asked how to copy it. You're free to do what you like, of course, but in this hobby courtesy is really the least we can ask regarding our work.

For those interested (and willing to ask specific questions to which I'd happily give specific answers, if you're willing to spend 5 minutes to look at what I actually DID first, before looking for a full blown walk through), here's what I did:

The design was 100% a friend of mine's - you may know her online as Tallest Silver (google her). We modeled all the particular details off the art of Amanda Conner (who signed my shoulder pad at SDCC in 2011).

The gloves were tailor made from whole cloth, by me. The zippers are actually functional, and I can't get the gloves on without them (the gauntlet part is vinyl, the hands are a very, very lightly stretchable stretch vinyl). They're all sewn together - no separate gauntlets over gloves or any of that. I still don't know how they worked out so well - they were the first pair of gloves I made.

The boots are permanent vinyl boot covers over hacked up, remade combat boots, which were painted (the rubber soles are painted as well to get the correct gray). There are zippers down both sides to make that lined piece of the front - the buckles were weathered to match the color scheme, but are totally non-functional. Good luck finding those buckles, though! Round ones are apparently very, very hard to come by. I lucked out and eventually found them at a salvation army on 2 different pairs of women's shoes (after at least 7 different thrift stores over 3 weeks).

The shoulder is a cast urethane resin piece. I have a mold, and I'd be willing to sell pulls to those I felt comfortable with. I'm sure in retrospect there are many easier ways, but for the complex shape I wanted, I couldn't think of anything else at the time. The strap holding it on is a simple belt.

The cape is spandex. The method of getting it wrapped the way it is looks incredibly simple, but is a huge pain to get right without a model to fit it on (I've been careful to not undo mine since I got it right last year - took me nearly an hour of fiddling! Which just makes you feel really, really silly when done at a Jack In The Box).

The belt is actually red vinyl, hemmed and fit to shape, since I couldn't find a suitable red belt. The buckle is molded from Apoxie Sculpt around a solid metal ring for stability. Those rivets on the front are actually snaps, so the belt is attached AT the buckle in the front.

The shorts were a gift from a friend - no idea where they originally came from, but I had a heck of a time trying to find white spandex shorts before my friend handed me these.

Yes, I'm actually blond. I might... accent my color for the costume, though. But no, I'm not that tan.

I really wish I'd seen that foam bell tutorial when I made this thing! Probably would have saved me COUNTLESS hours of work. Not that I'm not happy with what I got, but dang - hard to get easier/more effective than that!

And for those who're curious - Let me google that for you
And hit images, if you want to see more of us (we had 20 some members this past WonderCon, up from 10 at SDCC and 7 at WonderCon in 2011.

Nice to hear from the "original" so to speak. I love your expression in that second photo.
As I said before I think the Genderbent Justice League is a neat idea. We've seen female versions of male characters done before (e.g. Laamberry's Iron Man) but I think the GBJLA is the first to do male versions of female characters this well.

Edit: after googling, I've just seen the "brofist" and "chestbump" pics with powergirl. Gotta say, not only are those hilarious, but you'd make an awesome hero duo!.

Last edited:
Nice to hear from the "original" so to speak. I love your expression in that second photo.
As I said before I think the Genderbent Justice League is a neat idea. We've seen female versions of male characters done before (e.g. Laamberry's Iron Man) but I think the GBJLA is the first to do male versions of female characters this well.

I'm sure we weren't the first, but we may have been one of the most visible. The ladies DO tend to do the genderswap thing more than dudes. I know I've never seen (or heard of) another Power Guy/Boy/Dude/Bro. But it really makes it obvious just how FEW women are in the JLA (finding costumes for the guys after the first 2 or 3 got HARD)!

Edit: after googling, I've just seen the "brofist" and "chestbump" pics with powergirl. Gotta say, not only are those hilarious, but you'd make an awesome hero duo!.

LOL.

SO glad those are online! That's actually Tallest Silver, the girl who designed probably 90% of the costumes for the GBJLA. And being "Power People" with her at WonderCon in San Francisco last year was easily one of my favorite con experiences. SO MUCH brofist!

Last edited:
Hey BirdDog - that Bender looks suspiciously like one I saw at Emerald City Comicon last weekend... That wasn't you guys in the costume contest, was it?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back