TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt *SHREDDER*

Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt ( RIGHT ARM CAST)

Legs are coming along nicely. Do you know how you are going to approach the shell at all?

I would leave this in the sculpture section for now. Once you have done your pulls and are ready for assembly and painting I would make a new thread then. Out of interest, how many oz of silicone did that arm cast take?

Hey Frasier!

The shell is gonna be a tough pieces just because of the size! I have an old sandbox turtle shell lid (found it at the neighborhood dumpster, and is what got me to start this dang project!) and I will probably cut it to the proper size and use it as a base for the clay to be built up on. Mold it, then cast it with a thin dragon skin layer and back it with flex-it foam. BTW it will have to be a two-part shell (front and back).

I don't recall how many oz of the silicone I used, but on the next cast I will keep track!

Thanks scribblemama and devious1978,

Spent time adding registration keys to the arm sculpts, and got one of the molds ready to go. Sculpting is easy, molding is a PAIN!!!
3d78ebea.jpg

455926ef.jpg

4a6de23a.jpg
8c1ce8ea.jpg

Other news, getting the upper leg sculpt close...but still needs work. Hope to lifecast my left leg so I can start that sculpt and will most likely do a ductape armature of my chest/neck/and upper arms for the last piece of the body.

Wish I was in San Diego at Comic Con..... maybe next year.
Later RPF'ers

This is a Great thread! great sculpting & some valuable moulding info (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

I bought an ice cube maker for exactly the same reason your using one there.

Keep up the good work :)

Thanks Leigh! Your thread is burning up the forum, and well deserved!!!

Today's small progress update:
Got the mold ready to cast and thought I would share. Will probably do a cast tomorrow, but I have once concern. It will be a 100 degrees tomorrow and when I do the dragon skin cast, I do it outside to avoid a mess. Will temperature affect on the cast? Should I do it indoors instead?

Anyways the finishing of the mold
7323d010.jpg

acd04c4d.jpg

75423e12.jpg

f1451a7b.jpg

aeb0aa95.jpg

55a8d8f6.jpg

83796c08.jpg

2f657726.jpg

38a77bc3.jpg

6488b144.jpg

Any help to the above question would be great! Later RPF'ers

High temp can decrees your working time. Personally, I would recommend working indoors in case debris blow into your cups, or in the mold while your pouring.

High temp can decrees your working time. Personally, I would recommend working indoors in case debris blow into your cups, or in the mold while your pouring.

Good point! Thanks for the advise eightbitinfinit. I may try to have a cast out tonight.

Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt ( Molding Arm )

That arm came out clean as a whistle! Hopefully this mold serves you better.

I would just buy one of those really cheap disposable drop sheets from a painters shop if you do plan working inside. It is scary where casting material can end up. It sucks having to get any kind of rubber out of carpets, curtains etc.

Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt ( Molding Arm )

It sure seems this mold came out better. The cast just came right out!!

94eaf6d7.jpg

38f4b988.jpg

Minimal seam line! Only findable on the outside of the thumb.
4e58d90e.jpg

cf5afb37.jpg

Other news, I have been trying to get the upper leg portion ready for texture and the piece is just giving me problems. There is not alot of reference material to compare to and the first TMNT movie is filmed in very low light.

I'm pretty sure the muscle structure is off, but need help pinpointing the problems. Take a look

af4a0871.jpg

ba5d2288.jpg

d3403417.jpg

ba789dc1.jpg

Thanks RPF'ers! Later

Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt (Upper Leg HELP)

Really nice work on that cast man, impressive seamline! The legs look a little too defined to me, so I would soften that up a bit. I will have a look through some photos and see if there are some nice shots of legs. One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the depth in the muscle on the legs is shaded in with the paint process.

I agree on the definition! Can easily tone that down. But some of the muscle cuts are deep.

Here is some of the references I used.

TomSpinaDesigns
Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtle-Movie-Costume-Restoration-Display-3_1.jpg

And a couple screen caps...
a8b83d79.jpg

d36dfc01.jpg

0ef8aaca.jpg

e8d78286.jpg

pick up a human anatomy book....as far as I can tell the muscle structure is very human oriented. Even like a body building magazine would give you and idea of muscle structure, you would just have to tone down the mass of the muscle you see on body builders

I'm a massive turtles fan. this is absolutely awesome! I can't wait to see more progress shots and the finished product. great work! it makes me wish I could make my own lol

pick up a human anatomy book....as far as I can tell the muscle structure is very human oriented. Even like a body building magazine would give you and idea of muscle structure, you would just have to tone down the mass of the muscle you see on body builders

I agree, will check out some body builder photos.... or look at myself in the mirror???? HAHAA NOT!

Thanks slimesquare

I'm a massive turtles fan. this is absolutely awesome! I can't wait to see more progress shots and the finished product. great work! it makes me wish I could make my own lol

Thank you and you can make your own! Just go for it!

Not much of an update but will share what I have done today.

Finished the other arm mold and it came out great!

1ae1cbef.jpg

5fac122b.jpg

94e86123.jpg

I also got the last lifecast finished today. The left leg!

5dc4faa2.jpg

6c7af571.jpg

But I broke some toes! HAHAA
110eafa7.jpg

For the last armature besides the shell, I'm going with a ductape-foam filled dummy. Started adding the foam today, and we will see how well it turns out but here is the structure.

ba2de22c.jpg

More updates later this week hopefully! Later RPF'ers

Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt (Building Armatures)

This is such a HUGE build :D Can't wait until it's all together! Did I miss what it's being casted out of? Foam of some kind?

Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt (Building Armatures)

you make it sound so easy! :lol no, I'm not quite at that level yet. but one day, hopefully I will be
Level??? I didn't have a clue when I started, but that's why this forum is great! Just let the imagination have control!

This is such a HUGE build :D Can't wait until it's all together! Did I miss what it's being casted out of? Foam of some kind?

Ya, its kind of too much at times. Why can't I just do something small??
It's cast in smooth-on dragon skin, a rubber. I will probably back it with foam to help it hold its structure.

Spent today working on filling the body armature with foam. A MESS!
And spare time cutting clay...... BORING !!!!
f5a96be9.jpg

In other news, I played with some of the casts today... AHHH I feel like I'm on District 9.
719b17c5.jpg

See ya RPF'ers!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back